projectile motion (1 Viewer)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
hi
hey does ne1 know how 2 easily understand and solve problems on projectile motion?

if yes, then plz let me know soon

tina

Ozz^E

Understand the basics...break everyhting down to the simlpest horizontal/vertical motion. 3u math may help.

More imporatntly do plently of practice questions.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by tina
hi
hey does ne1 know how 2 easily understand and solve problems on projectile motion?

if yes, then plz let me know soon

tina
If you've descieded to do 4U maths all will become apparent later. If you on the other hand stuck with 3U all will become apparent later on ...

Ozz^E

yeh...though im not sure the maths projectile motion helps too much wiht physics...i didnt actually do physics and had 4u but friend didnt seem to have any advantage of doin physics...maybe its the other way around..i.e doin maths helps wiht the physics for projectiles that is.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Ozz^E
yeh...though im not sure the maths projectile motion helps too much wiht physics...i didnt actually do physics and had 4u but friend didnt seem to have any advantage of doin physics...maybe its the other way around..i.e doin maths helps wiht the physics for projectiles that is.
yeah, math helps phys ....

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Firstly, just remember that a max height Vy = 0, which features a lot in these question if they tried to ask you a lot.

You look at what values that you know, what equations will give you the value you need... etc...

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
why dont you show us a question ...
yeh? you do ltos lots of questions on it and you can improved

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
A projectile is fired at 40m/s at an angle of "x" from the top of a 30m cliff.

1) How long does it take to hit the ground?

2) What is the max range?

Ozz^E

Okaiz, a few pointers:

Start, almost always, be deriving the horizontal and vertical equations of motion. That is: y and x in terms of t (time).

For time taken to hit ground: y will be 0 whne it hits grounds so use vertical displacement.

For max range: sub in time found in 1 into the horizontal displacement as max range occurs when projectile hits ground.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Ozz^E
Okaiz, a few pointers:

Start, almost always, be deriving the horizontal and vertical equations of motion. That is: y and x in terms of t (time).

For time taken to hit ground: y will be 0 whne it hits grounds so use vertical displacement.

For max range: sub in time found in 1 into the horizontal displacement as max range occurs when projectile hits ground.
No, no, Ozz^E, I was supplying an example for someone to try ...

Mathematician

here

Because the initial direction of velocity is up ( we define as +) , the acceleration is -9.8(against gravity)

(1).... s(y)=u(y) + 1/2a(y)t^2 Right?
Where s is displacement.

Also
(2).... u(y)=usinx
from (2) u(y)=40sinx

since s is displacement then s = -30 [displacement from horizontal(rest) to ground ]

from (1)
-30=40sinxT-4.9T^2 (make t = T so it is clear)
ie 4.9T^2 - 40sinxT -30 = 0
This is a quadratic(which i know u know how to solve Tina)
x= [-b (+ or -) sqrt (b^2 - 4ac) ]/2a
therefore T= [40sinx (+ or -) sqrt (1600sin^2x - 4 * 4.9 * - 30)]/9.8

we take the positive answer (since T is scalar)

Note: I expressed the answer in terms of sinx since the angle is not given. The time taken will vary if the angle is steeper or shallower, hence we cannot find a numerical value)

Now the maximum range can be found since this means x= 45 degrees.

Range means the greatest horizontal distance that can be achieved.
45 degrees is the angle that allows this greatest horizontal distance.

We can use (3) ...
T= [40sinx (+ or -) sqrt (1600sin^2x - 4 * 4.9 * - 30)]/9.8

and for x put 45 degrees to find T

Now deltaX=U(x)T
where T is found from (3) and u(x) is found from u(x)=40cos45

Tell me if this is write mc donalds boy.

By the way Tina to solve Projectile questions u must understand a few concepts.

(1)The velocity throughout the trajectory(the path taken by the projectile which is parabolic) is constantly changing. This trajecotry velocity has Vertical and Horizontal components and the vector some of these independent components is the trajectory's velocity.
(2) There is only one force acting on a projectile when it is in the air and this force is gravity.
(3)Gravity acts in the vertical direction and therefore there is a acceleration in the vertical direction since forces produce accelerations.
(4) All throughout the Projectile the Horizontal Velocity is constant since there is no force to produce an acceleration in the horizontal direction.
(5) When u throw a ball in the air just before it comes down from up , u notice a stop before the turning point, During this stop the velocity is 0 and it has obviously achieved its maximum height.
Therefore at maximum height the velocity is at rest or 0.
(6) the time T is the same time for the vertical and horizontal components since both are normally talking about the time taken in the air.
(7)when they ask what is the velocity when the object strikes the floor they are not talking about the vertical or horizontal velocitys they are talking about the trajectory's velocity which is the vector some of the two components and this velcocity is not 0 because they mean the velocity just before it makes contact.

All this should make u a master in projectile motion.

DOES THIS MAKE SENSE TINA?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Assuming I'm "mc donalds boy", yes thats right Mathematician.

Mathematician

?

What did u mean when u said u programmed every single bit of it ?
Are u tina?
Or did u put the info on ur awesome site?

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
I sir, am in fact Tina...

Nah, nah I'm not. :-(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)