Promotion and program (1 Viewer)

kristie87

HSC
Jeza said:
Hey Christie thats awesome, could you post some of your images just for us to see what we compare to. also how do you know if you've writen with clarity and flair as the sylabus states.also the sylabus states include a profile of the theatre, it's target audience, info about the playwright, the history of the play, the directorial approach. what do they mean by target audience. does that mean you have to overtly state your play's target audience, or is it implicit through you design. also what size did you print your program, and how do you go about getting your designs printed professionally, or getting your program done. thanxs heeps JEZA from Northern beaches Sydney
Hey Jeza!
You know if you've written with clarity and flair if you have addressed what you intended to address and if you have done it in a clear, precise manner using terminology relevant to what you have studied in Drama.

When the syllabus talks about the theatre's target audience, it's my understanding that it's talking about who the company appeals to as a majority - so if they were attempting to appeal to age ranges, then you'd say something along the lines of 18-25 or something, or if they were appealing to classes of society then you'd say something along the lines of High class. It depends on how you as an individual perceive the question of the target audience - it could even be talking about the companies target audience for one particular play, that being the one you are designing for.
(Have a look at STC's mission statement and see if that helps: http://www.sydneytheatre.com.au/content.asp?cID=44)

Oookay - well, I printed my program in A3 format, which folded over into A4 size, so the A3 sheets were printed with their corrosponding JPEG graphic layouts I had embedded into the page and were then trimmed and folded into an A4 booklet - I'll attach a copy of one of the pages so you can see what I mean - However, it's a pretty time consuming process I opted to go for because you can't simply put it page after page consecutively, you have to work out what goes where and then create each page individually. Say for example, the front and the back cover go side by side on the same page, then printed on the back of that same page is either the inside cover and the back inside or page one, and depending on how many pages your program has (mine had 18 I think) then the page number that goes next to 1 would be 18. Confusing I know - it all depends on how you want to layout your program, that was just how I did mine...

As for getting the program professionally printed, it was relatively simple as I had the layout already set up to be printer friendly, so all I did was walk into a good printing place and tell them I had so many A3 colour pages to be printed back to back...and they did it for me. However, you have to make sure that your JPEG's are at a resolution of 300dpi, and I reccommend, if you're creating them in photoshop or something create them as CMYK images because they give the closest colour res for printing, so what you see on the screen is basically how they will print, colour wise. The same went for my poster - the JPEG had to be saved at highest possible resolution. The dimensions of mine were A1 size @ 300dpi, actual pixel ratio had to be at 1/2 size - once again, completely confusing, but the printer you go to will be able to help you if you don't understand, just ask 'em for help or to explain.

I hope that's answered your questions...I'll link a few of my images so you can see what mine was like...

Poster (had to downsize heaps otherwise it would of taken years to upload):
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8507/kristielitchfieldposter2hr.jpg

Program Page (NOTE: This jpeg is actually an incomplete draft, which explains the missing info...but don't worry about that, you can get the gist of it without it):
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8181/backto4copy2zi.jpg

Last edited:

ajade

HSC
hey thanks kirstie your program and poster was really good. I am doing the ham funeral. I havent started I also have the art major work to worry about. How many pages did u have in the program?

kristie87

HSC
ajade said:
hey thanks kirstie your program and poster was really good. I am doing the ham funeral. I havent started I also have the art major work to worry about. How many pages did u have in the program?
Lol - awww, thanks! :)
Art major work too eh? Wow, I know how that feels! I did mine like 2 weeks before...won't see it back till 2007 apparently when it's done it's round on the regional tour...
How many pages in my program?
28 including the front/back cover.

ajade

HSC
wow, congradulations on your art major work by the way. But what exactly did you include in the program to make it so long?. I looked at the lion king program but a lot of it is just photos of the play.

kristie87

HSC
Ummm, well...
1. I had a title page kind of thing stating the name of the play and the author and the 3 leads roles.
2. A list of characters and their corrosponding actors. (1 page)
3. Credits for the stage, tech, production crew. (2 pages)
4. About the Playwright (1 page)
5. About the play (1 page)
6. Word from the Director (1 page)
7. Cast photo's and info (4 pages)
8. Main Production crew info (2 pages)
9. Advertisements (7 pages)
10. In production photos (3 pages)
11. Front and back cover (4 pages)

ajade

HSC
so much work to do. so little time. does the program have to be A4 format?. I found a program that isnt A4 and it is pretty good. would I loose marks if I did it like that?

kristie87

HSC
No, no way!!
You can do it however you want to do it!
I was going to do mine in A5 format, which is basically half A4, but I decided to go bigger purely for the purpose of more space to work with and more room to show details and whatnot - but you can do it however you please and you won't get marked down for it! That's the great thing about the IP, you execute it however you want to an extent, the only exception is the instructions the BOS sets as to what to include, but thats it!

princesz_jess

HSC
hey guys im new.. im doing my IP on Summer Rain and so far its driving me insane.. i really like my poster but my teacher is not so keen.. he knows what hes talking about too!

can anyone help me by telling me what exactly the media story is supposed to be about or what it can be.. that is the part im struggling with the most!!

jess xx

kristie87

HSC
princesz_jess said:
hey guys im new.. im doing my IP on Summer Rain and so far its driving me insane.. i really like my poster but my teacher is not so keen.. he knows what hes talking about too!

can anyone help me by telling me what exactly the media story is supposed to be about or what it can be.. that is the part im struggling with the most!!

jess xx
Hey Jess...sucks about your Teach not lovin' the poster...

Anyways, the media article can be anything from a theatrical review of the play to an interview with members of cast, the director, the playwright (if still alive) - it can even be like a feature article sort of thing. It's just gotta be 500 words and it has to be pitching the play out there with your concepts of design (a.k.a. Directorial Concept/Vision) in mind.

Hope that helps somewhat!

Kris ;)

princesz_jess

HSC
kristie87 said:
Hey Jess...sucks about your Teach not lovin' the poster...

Anyways, the media article can be anything from a theatrical review of the play to an interview with members of cast, the director, the playwright (if still alive) - it can even be like a feature article sort of thing. It's just gotta be 500 words and it has to be pitching the play out there with your concepts of design (a.k.a. Directorial Concept/Vision) in mind.

Hope that helps somewhat!

Kris ;)
ahhh thankyou so much!! your a lifesaver :D
is there anyway i can send u my pic that i like and get a second opinion from you?? haha let me know thanks!!

R.G.

HSC
hi,
Well my trial for ip is due tomorrow and everythings done
i just dont know if my rationale is any good.
Can anyone give advice on what to write etc
Thankss

sedated_mind

HSC
kristie87 said:
yeah, sure!
just send it to my email:
intelligentzia@hotmail.com

would i be able to email you mine as well for some feedback...my teacher pretty much tries to help but makes no sense or comes up with really really tacky ideas... or just shuts me down completely.

kristie87

HSC
sedated_mind said:
would i be able to email you mine as well for some feedback...my teacher pretty much tries to help but makes no sense or comes up with really really tacky ideas... or just shuts me down completely.
Yeah! Sure! Go for it, I'm more than happy to help!

ajade

HSC
Hi

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to print the program, poster and flyer from a professional printing company?

Thank u

kristie87

HSC
ajade said:
Hi

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to print the program, poster and flyer from a professional printing company?

Thank u
Depending on the printing company, and from my experience an A1 poster takes aproximately 4-5 days - as for the other stuff, mine was done within an hour or so but was under special circumstances, it could take a few days depending on the workload of the printers.

Jeza

HSC
How much did it cost
could you give us an idea for each item
i.e
Poster cost: $
Program cost:$
just so i can comapare when I go looking for a printing company

kristie87

HSC
Jeza said:
How much did it cost
could you give us an idea for each item
i.e
Poster cost: $
Program cost:$
just so i can comapare when I go looking for a printing company
My poster was about $86...but it was A1 size and I got it gloss laminated, it's a few bucks cheaper if you dont get the gloss laminate.

Program...mine was double sided colour A3 - cost me about $30 for around about 7 individual pages with double sided printing.

The flyer I just whacked on out a laserjet printer, so it cost me nothing.

R.G.

HSC
Well left my stuff in the hands of the printing place today.
Should get it back by friday i hope as its due on monday when are all of yours due
Much luck for the last minute work!

Jeza

HSC
yeah mines at the printing place. Mine has to be handed in on monday as well. Everyone's does, unless you do a monologue. Good luck but. Should we post our designs after monday?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)