Pros and Cons of Melbourne (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys, so I'm still tossing up between ANU and Monash for next year.

So, I was wondering what the pros and cons of both Melbourne as a city and Monash. I really want to live on campus and do a double degree in Science and Arts.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! x

Jinks

HSC
Well looking at Melbourne and Canberra (I may be a little biased, haven't lived in Canberra but have been there on a holiday) but I'd say Melbourne is definitely a more "fun" city, in terms of clubs/ pubs, restaurants shows etc, on top of this Melbourne tends to be a little bit warmer during winter compared to Canberra. As I said I may be completely biased, I just feel that Canberra has an older population.

I go to Monash but don't live on campus so can't help with that, but as a university I really enjoy it, everything is within the little community which is great. There is transport all over the place and shuttles between campus' running regularly. Train would take about 20-30 minutes to the city from the Clayton campus and a little less from Caulfield (science arts would be at Clayton I think).

Hopefully someone else can provide some insight :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Heya,

My best advice would to be visit all the university open days that you are interested in! I visited UMELB, ANU, USYD and UNSW whilst I was in Year 12. I have many friends at ANU and at Monash. So you can get a feel for it yourself. Also where are you from originally? For all the major cities, I had to move so thinking where you live is really important. You can tour the colleges at ANU (ANU also has a first year accommodation guarantee for first years, and a wide range of colleges from self catered to fully catered) and there are also residence at Monash. (I have friends at residence halls at both ANU and Monash if you have Qs)

Are there any Monash or ANU scholarships you may be particular elligible for such as the ANU Regional Scholarship? That's something to look at to when you visit at open days if you are split between the two (i.e love the course structure and the cities equally).

Canberra and Melbourne as cities have massively different feels to them. (How you perceive them probably depends on where you grew up/went to school :p) Canberra is a much quieter city, but has a lovely friendly vibe to it and is the hub of the government. If you lived in Canberra, you'd probably want a car as it is quite spread out, though biking is a big thing there to get around. Cold weather, but much drier than Melb.

Melbourne is much busier, and really depends what part of the city you are at. There's a real artsy section at Southbank with the arts markets and that, where some of outer suburbs really differ to what you find in the city. Monash is kinda out in the boons in Clayton. Fun busting city though, temperamental weather with a random shower can be really hot and really cold.

So my advice is to visit both yourself and see, and also look at which offers you the best Arts/Science course structure (look at the units you can take and what you can major in, and how long the degree is, though iirc it's 4 years at both Monash and ANU). Look at exchange partners if that's something you are really interested in, ANU has amazing language programs and labs due to the being the hub of Asian studies and international relationsy stuff as it's all governmental. My sister did Indonesian in her Masters there. Monash and ANU both have great specialities in science, like depending what you are looking at, ANU has really great physics (Hans Bachor is the best prof ever there lol).

Hope this post is somewhat helpful :)

HSC
Thank you both so much, your information is really, really helpful! :)

My best advice would to be visit all the university open days that you are interested in!
I have already visited ANU, but I'm heading back again this year at their open day and also to Monash. Do you know if Monash has a guarantee for out of state students? I'm from Nowra, in NSW, down near UOW.

So, again, thank you both so much!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you both so much, your information is really, really helpful! :)

I have already visited ANU, but I'm heading back again this year at their open day and also to Monash. Do you know if Monash has a guarantee for out of state students? I'm from Nowra, in NSW, down near UOW.

So, again, thank you both so much!
Arr yes from Nowra, you'd be looking at on campus accomodation. (Also on campus accommodation is fun, I reside on campus at my uni :D). So yes Canberra does an accommodation guarantee. For Monash, they don't have a guarantee, but there is some distance based need consideration when you apply (considering you'd be moving all the way from Nowra). But there is quite a good amount of on campus accommodation available at Monash, so I wouldn't be worried about not receiving it. There's quite an amount of places available :)

http://www.mrs.monash.edu/oncampus/

There's different halls of residence depending what campus you'd be doing your degree at, I assume Clayton that's where most of the rez is. My friends at Monash are at Farrer Hall.

Smoke Eater

HSC
N/A
I live on campus at Monash and most likely am switching to ANU

GO TO ANU. THANK ME LATER.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
ANU will bore you out after a week, Melbourne is a bit more lively but will probably bore you out by the end of your degree.

Isekaibro

HSC
Melbourne has been World's Most Liveable City for many years. It's No 1 for good reasons. You should never run out of things to do as a student, especially when you have no work commitments yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)