Prove that the angle inscribed in a semi-circle is a right angle using Vector Methods. (1 Viewer)

A1La5

HSC
Thats the other way I thought of. I prefer the conventional way though but this is neat anyways. Not sure if there's any other way other than those 2 really. I assume the first method that tickboom showed was the "vector" approach OP was looking for but its well known so maybe this is.
The derivation shown in the video uses Euclidean geometry instead of vectors. I also prefer his approach, but given how OP wanted a vector based approach the question I posted should be content.

RohitShubesh21

HSC

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Just consider that the point D would be cos(theta), sin(theta) since its on the circle then just use the gradient formula for each lines and then multiply both gradients... the rest is self-explanatory.

View attachment 33592
Using ExtremeBoredUser's diagram above, this is a vector method:

CD = AD - AC

BD
= AD - AB

AB
= -AC

.: CD.BD = (AD - AC).(AD - AB) = (AD - AC).(AD + AC) = AD.AD + AD.AC - AC.AD - AC.AC = AD.AD - AC.AC

= r^2 - r^2 = 0 (r being the radius)

.:, since the dot product CD.BD = 0, CD and BD are perpendicular to each other.

Sorry for not using proper vector notation.

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
The converse of this theorem, that if is a right angle then is the diameter of the circle on which also lies can also be done by vector methods. The question has often been put as:

Let be right-angled at . Use vectors to show that the midpoint of is equidistant from all three vertices of the triangle.

RohitShubesh21

HSC
Using ExtremeBoredUser's diagram above, this is a vector method:

CD = AD - AC

BD
= AD - AB

AB
= -AC

.: CD.BD = (AD - AC).(AD - AB) = (AD - AC).(AD + AC) = AD.AD + AD.AC - AC.AD - AC.AC = AD.AD - AC.AC

= r^2 - r^2 = 0 (r being the radius)

.:, since the dot product CD.BD = 0, CD and BD are perpendicular to each other.

Sorry for not using proper vector notation.
yes this one sir thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)