Proving Something ... (1 Viewer)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
If two circles touch each other, show that the line joining their centres passes through their point of contact.

How do you prove that? I thought it was just a rule we needed to know. I know how to explain it in a lot of words, but there's probably a shorter way.

Pace_T

HSC
hmmphh i can put it in words as well but im guessing
the two circles touch, therefore they have the same tangent at that point
a tangent to the radius is 90degrees
hence the sum of both of the angles formed is 180degrees
hence it is a st. line on the point
.'. the line passes thru the point
haha i think i am making it up lol
i dunno lol

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Pace_T said:
hmmphh i can put it in words as well but im guessing
the two circles touch, therefore they have the same tangent at that point
a tangent to the radius is 90degrees
hence the sum of both of the angles formed is 180degrees
hence it is a st. line on the point
.'. the line passes thru the point
haha i think i am making it up lol
i dunno lol
LOL yeah, I was just playing around with those things. I can never be 100% sure whether I really proved it or not. I know that the statement is true, it's so annoying.

ioniser

HSC
yep thats perfectly right

but dam i hate those cicle questions hahahhahahahhah moreover those harder 3 u circle questions in 4 u

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
haha i loved maths.. i dun get to do it enough..
noi did the body part thing..
i should be exam revising for my clinical exams.. but cant i help in 3u ..? :p

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Re tangnet to circle: as a proof that the normal to the tangent at the point of contact passes through the centre of the circle, is it valid to construct a right angle with the normal as the hypotenuse, then apply alternate segment theorem? Or would you have to then prove alternate segment theorem?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Re tangnet to circle: as a proof that the normal to the tangent at the point of contact passes through the centre of the circle, is it valid to construct a right angle with the normal as the hypotenuse, then apply alternate segment theorem? Or would you have to then prove alternate segment theorem?

Isn't it one of the "laws" of circle geometry that the radius of a circle drawn at point of contact to a tangent is perpendicular to the tangent? Therefore, the normal to the tangent, which is also perpendicular to it, by definition passes through the centre of the circle because it is the radius drawn at point of contact. Shouldn't that work?

I_F

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I don't think it's an axiom that a tangent must be normal to the radius, since it can be proved using contradiction.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I was always taught it like this: you have the radius bisecting chord at right angle property, right? That can be shown easily enough using congruent triangles. Now make the chord smaller and smaller until the chord 'becomes' a tangent... it would still be cutting at 90°.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)