P's test. (1 Viewer)

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
50%. It's easy, just dont hit the kerb and always remember you don't have to get the car fitted perfectly in, in the first try

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
I got my red Ps on my second go. But I thought I would have to try again because I remember I clearly hit the kerb when I reverse parallel parked but I did it very cautiously and slowly and when the instructor told me I passed at the desk, I was like why????! And he said it's good you kept calm and continued the test despite that mistake.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I got my red Ps on my second go. But I thought I would have to try again because I remember I clearly hit the kerb when I reverse parallel parked but I did it very cautiously and slowly and when the instructor told me I passed at the desk, I was like why????! And he said it's good you kept calm and continued the test despite that mistake.
You don't fail for brushing the kerb at less than 5kph. I remember brushing it a little but that is because whenever I park I do it as close as possible to the kerb because you want to avoid someone hitting your car, plus I hate it when idiots park their car so close to the middle of the road, because then sometimes I'm forced to stop when buffering and give way to other cars.

You only fail the reverse parallel park if you mount the kerb (go over), hit something or a car, don't check your blindspots before turning or it takes you more than 4 moves to do.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
Brushing the kerb is fine for the test (but not ideal); it is not counted as a collision (unless your testing officer is a dick). But if you reversed right into the kerb, then it would be a fail.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Brushing the kerb is fine for the test (but not ideal); it is not counted as a collision (unless your testing officer is a dick). But if you reversed right into the kerb, then it would be a fail.
I actually brushed it in the test and knew that if I reversed further I would mount. So then I moved forward a little bit and completed it in the third step.

From the booklet: "A guide to the driving test", it says that "if you touch the curb at walking speeds, you will NOT fail."

I think I will make a thread on driving questions now.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah guys I'm pretty certain I mounted the kerb. But did it in a very cautious way because I am screwed up like that.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
That is a "FAIL item" you do know that right?

You get an instant fail but the test continues for feedback purposes ad so its actually quicker to get to the RMS (instead of instructor driving you back) depending on how far along the test you are.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Was the kerb curved up and smooth?

What they mean by mounting a kerb is as in driving a car up a physical step or stairway.

Last edited:

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Ps test on Wednesday

Will I lose marks/fail for going through roundabouts/reverse parallel parking using only 1 hand and essentially palming?

Roundabouts I guess I could change but for reverse parallel you need to turn the wheel relatively faster and the easiest way is to do it by palming... if I can't then fuck that I'm riding public transport until i'm rich enough to afford a chauffeur.

D94

HSC
N/A
Ps test on Wednesday

Will I lose marks/fail for going through roundabouts/reverse parallel parking using only 1 hand and essentially palming?

Roundabouts I guess I could change but for reverse parallel you need to turn the wheel relatively faster and the easiest way is to do it by palming... if I can't then fuck that I'm riding public transport until i'm rich enough to afford a chauffeur.
Don't palm the wheel. It won't be considered as having full control of the vehicle. Just slow down if you feel you are turning the wheel too fast.

There are two methods suggested/recommended in the learner's guide - hand over hand, and push/pull. Don't use any other method for your test.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Ps test on Wednesday

You can't go through roundabouts. I'm not sure but that might be an instant "FAIL item". Check the booklet : "A guide to the driving test" to see the list of "FAIL items".

Just use two hands and take your time. Is this manual or auto?

Because if its auto you have no excuse but to use both hands.

Palming is not a very good steering technique and it is easy to slip. The techniques of steering you should be using is either "hand-over-hand" or "push-pull" steering.

So maybe, depending on the marker, you could or could not lose marks. Not sure on that one.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Don't palm the wheel. It won't be considered as having full control of the vehicle. Just slow down if you feel you are turning the wheel too fast.

There are two methods suggested/recommended in the learner's guide - hand over hand, and push/pull. Don't use any other method for your test.
You can't go through roundabouts. I'm not sure but that might be an instant "FAIL item". Check the booklet : "A guide to the driving test" to see the list of "FAIL items".

Just use two hands and take your time. Is this manual or auto?

Because if its auto you have no excuse but to use both hands.

Palming is not a very good steering technique and it is easy to slip. The techniques of steering you should be using is either "hand-over-hand" or "push-pull" steering.

So maybe, depending on the marker, you could or could not lose marks. Not sure on that one.
Ugh, that's really shit

thanks though

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Ugh, that's really shit

thanks though
Don't worry though. Hand-over-hand and push-pull methods are the safest and give you full control over the car so its best if you learn this method.

I have seen people steer by holding the steering with one hand like a dumb-bell before which I would say is even more dangerous.

I know that hand-over-hand has gotten me out of sticky situations before. Even when doing semi-auto, once I shift I have both hands on the steering again, which is what should be done in manual any way.

People tend to complain that the test is hard and once you finish you should drive differently. The test is made hard for your benefit to prevent you from doing something terrible resulting in an accident on P's or later on.

So I would recommend to everyone that they should rid themselves of bad driving habits.

Last edited:

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Yeah so I realized I don't actually know what to do. I booked my exam but what do I actually do on the day?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah so I realized I don't actually know what to do. I booked my exam but what do I actually do on the day?
You can change it 48 or maybe 24 (not sure check the receipt as that will tell you) hours before the exam to a later date without losing your booking fee.

I suggest you change it for a few more weeks if you have no idea on what to do.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
You can change it 48 or maybe 24 (not sure check the receipt as that will tell you) hours before the exam to a later date without losing your booking fee.

I suggest you change it for a few more weeks if you have no idea on what to do.
No I mean like what do I do at the rta? Just take a ticket and wait?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
When I went for my test, there was a big arow at the rms that said: "Tests" and I went to that cubicle. The guy asked what my name was and we started the test.

D94

HSC
N/A
Take a ticket. It will be a short wait because you would have booked it online in advanced.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Take a ticket. It will be a short wait because you would have booked it online in advanced.
I don't remember taking a ticket.....

Maybe I did but just didn't remember. Then again it was at 8:30am when the RMS just opened so maybe I didn't need one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)