Ps3 (1 Viewer)

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
Yea.

Xbox360 games are going to be on dvd of max capacity of 9 gig's

PS3 games are going to be put on Blue ray discs that can hold 54 GIG's, thats 6 times more detail possible , 6 times more size of the game possible.

Can you imagion GTA: San andreas with 6 times more detail and 6 times as large. Thats what it is going to be like.

I think thanks to Blue ray , PS3 will have the edge on xbox360.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Timesplitter 01 said:
Yea.

Xbox360 games are going to be on dvd of max capacity of 9 gig's

PS3 games are going to be put on Blue ray discs that can hold 54 GIG's, thats 6 times more detail possible , 6 times more size of the game possible.

Can you imagion GTA: San andreas with 6 times more detail and 6 times as large. Thats what it is going to be like.

I think thanks to Blue ray , PS3 will have the edge on xbox360.
the games are also gonna cost more cause it will cost more money to make 6x more detail.

HSC
It's pretty obvious that 6x the capacity doesn't automatically translate to 6x the quality.

For a start, the fact that they can fit 6x the levels or whatever on a disc doesn't mean developers are going to make the game 6x as long. Nor does the disc being able to hold textures that are 6x the resolution mean that the other hardware is going to be able to render them without compression, it's one of those more doesn't automatically mean better things.

Some games can do with some more length, some can't, if it's a shit game, 6x the length isn't going to make it any more fun. When it comes to graphics, I'm not really convinced that storage capacity is the reason for the bottlenecks we've seen previously. That said, the advance in detail in ps3 games is pretty obvious, but I think for the most part that's attributable to things other than pure storage, like video capability and processing power :)

Also, there's the potential for games to be multiple cds (On other systems such as the xbox360), so blue-ray on its own isn't a huge advantage, I think billing it (solely) as an xbox 360 killer is misguided at best. If anything the main benefit I see in blue-ray will be in things like extended fmv sequences for games in far higher quality than we've seen previously, stuff like that, the entire entertainment media convergence phenomenon.

Last edited:

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
Did anyone watch the sony conference.

If anything the PS3 is going to be easier to program for, unlike the PS2 ( this is what some developers said after E3 had finished, different video stream).

Can anyone say chill pill :D :uhhuh:

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Ure right. It does look like a sandwich-maker. On the other hand, I don't mind it. After all, shining silver (NOT GREY!!!) > all other console colours.

Have any of u FF fans seen the FFVII tech demo at E3? It's downloadable at Gamespot if you're a member, or u can stream it (bleh..). It's in real time, they said, not CG. Super awesome. It's basically a remake of the opening scene of FFVII (from Aeris' close-up up to Cloud getting off the train).

Note that the SE spokesperson at E3 clearly stressed that this is NOT a remake. It's just a tech-demo. So for you FFVII fans, don't get your hopes up.

MGS4 on PS3. OMG. That's awesome. MGS3 was the best so far for me. Who knows what Kojima can do with 4? One teaser phrase for the game is "nowhere to hide", although people mistake this to mean that there will be no more stealth for MGS4, which is definitely not the case.

Any of you seen the MGS4 poster? They're all old faces (yes, including people from MGS1 such as Meryl and, some speculate anyway, Naomi). Guess who's the second from the right?

EDIT: the FFVII tech demo was merely trying to show PS3's capabilities.

Last edited:
HSC
Timesplitter 01 said:
Can anyone say chill pill
lol sorry, don't mind me. That wasn't actually meant to sound as aggressive as it did. Just comments like that scare me, imagine if Titanic was 6x as long! :(

I saw that one Wesnat (The intro recreation). Looked incredible, I'm not a massive FF fan, but it sure got my hopes up till I read that it wasn't a remake (I just downloaded the video from 3dgamers or somewhere, with no sound) :)

phizz

aka: Philly Cheese
HSC
Timesplitter 01 said:
Did anyone watch the sony conference.

If anything the PS3 is going to be easier to program for, unlike the PS2 ( this is what some developers said after E3 had finished, different video stream).
Yeah, rumors have been going around that sony will allow full support for openGL developed games.

This means that games created for the computer (or other systems using openGL (mac for instance)), can be easily and quickly ported (code wise) to the ps3. Another good reason is that developers don't need to go off and learn a new language/graphics API, as previous knowledge of openGl is adequate enough to begin developing games.

In the mean time for me, I think I'll just wait till the last console arrives (most likely the nintendo revolution) and then decide. That offer of Nintendo's previous games (GameCube, N64, Snes, ect...) to be emulated/installed and pricewise is looking to be the bigger draw card for me at the moment.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Playstation 3 to ship with no HD (interview)

But if you buy a hard drive from sony it will come with linux preinstalled.

They are positioning the playstation 3 as a "supercomputer" rather than a console. That is they vision that you will use it for tasks normally done on a computer like video editing and you may be able to run more convensional operating systems like Windows and MacOS X.

This is interesting as it will be damn cheaper than a similar spec computer. Mabye it will compete with the mini mac, lol

phizz

aka: Philly Cheese
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
Playstation 3 to ship with no HD (interview)

But if you buy a hard drive from sony it will come with linux preinstalled.

They are positioning the playstation 3 as a "supercomputer" rather than a console. That is they vision that you will use it for tasks normally done on a computer like video editing and you may be able to run more convensional operating systems like Windows and MacOS X.

This is interesting as it will be damn cheaper than a similar spec computer. Mabye it will compete with the mini mac, lol
Yeah, I think sony had its original vision (along with microsofts vision) to have the next gen of consoles being more than a games machine, but the central unit of a families living room.

Either way, the cost to manufacture is way more then what it will be sold for, and in the end, money is made from the development kits and software approval from developers rather than consumers.

So i predict, that Sony would want only a selection of their own software for the PS3 rather than other opperating systems to work on. Otherwise another alternative develpment kit would be used by developers, stopping sony's income of profit.

Anotherwords, the likely hood of windows, osx, is very slim and be a very bad markting choice for sony to take.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)