Psychology - UNSW vs USYD (1 Viewer)

stainmepink

HSC
I'm planning to do psychology next year at uni, but i'm not sure as to which uni is better. im not sure whether i want to be a practicing psychologist, im just sort of doing it because im probably not going to get into med :(

Which uni is better in terms of course structure ... future employment, research? etc

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
well i can't really say since i don't do psych at UNSW, but i do it at USYD...all i can tell you is that we have great lecturers (1st sem ones are better than 2nd sem ones regarding first year psych). Also according to the good universities guide i think they rate USYD psych better than UNSW psych.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Have you considered MQ uni? Unless it's too far out of the way to be an option for you, I've heard great things about it from people doing it and it seems to have a good reputation for Psych.

phrred

HSC
gobaby said:
I'm planning to do psychology next year at uni, but i'm not sure as to which uni is better. im not sure whether i want to be a practicing psychologist, im just sort of doing it because im probably not going to get into med :(

Which uni is better in terms of course structure ... future employment, research? etc
There are many threads on this, do a search

Ill give you a brief rundown

Basically it was decided MQ was the best, UNSW then Sydney

USYD apparently lost many of its top lecturers to MQ because its course was based too much around Freud and was too rooted in old theories, correct? Its now in catchup mode with many top positions held by UNSW grads

Sydney has the 2nd highest unemployment rate for psych grads, highest is UWS

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Freud is predominant in USYD psych courses?

I'm only judging from 1st year basics but Freudian (personality) theory only composed 1/6 of the course. And from what I hear, it is reduced as you progress...

phrred

HSC
Sarah168 said:
Freud is predominant in USYD psych courses?

I'm only judging from 1st year basics but Freudian (personality) theory only composed 1/6 of the course. And from what I hear, it is reduced as you progress...
I havent done it myself but i have many friends doing it. Couple have dropped out cause its revolved too much on it- they are 2nd yrs not 1st yrs btw

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
errm why arn't u considering MQ for psychology?

but out of the two... i'de go to UNSW hands down :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)