PSYCHOLOGY - which uni?! (1 Viewer)

Scinery

HSC
Psychology is awesome, I do it at UNSW. I'm happy with it, everything is online. You can be a registered psychologist doing com/science at UNSW, which is what I'm doing. Not with arts though.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
if anyone's considering a psych major at usyd, here are the subjects you'll be doing. if you google the course codes, it should come up with links to the usyd website outlining the unit of study

1st year

PSYC1001 Psychology 1001
PSYC1002 Psychology 1002

2nd year

PSYC2011 Brain and Behaviour
PSYC2012 Statistics and Research Methods for Psychology
PSYC2013 Social and Cognitive Psychology
PSYC2014 Personality and Intelligence I

3rd Year (pick at least 4 from the list, 5 if you are doing B Psych. PSYC3018 is compulsory for everyone, PSYC3010 is compulsory for people wanting to do honours)

PSYC3010 Advanced Statistics for Psychology
PSYC3011 Learning and Behaviour
PSYC3012 Cognition, Language and Thought
PSYC3013 Perceptual Systems
PSYC3014 Behavioural and Cognitive Neuroscience
PSYC3015 Personality and Intelligence II
PSYC3016 Developmental Psychology
PSYC3017 Social Psychology
PSYC3018 Abnormal Psychology
PSYC3020 Applications of Psychological Science
HPSC3023 Psychology and Psychiatry: History and Philosophy

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
What is the difference between Psychology arts versus Psychology science o_O??

Because macq uni offers psych. arts/ law combined and I might consider doing it since it may benefit my career :)

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Lol. Jelly?
Definitely jealous of being a creeper I wish I could creep on girls to no avail but oh well I better just go home to my long term relationship with my hot girlfriend damn
Hi!

Does anyone here have an idea about what the competition WITHIN B Psychological Science @UNSW is like? Is the competition fierce (like medical science) or is it just like other courses?

Edit: sorry to OP about hijacking the thread
I'd posit it'd be pretty fierce. There are students who miss out on Psychology by like 0.5 points and do Psychological Science and are pretty intelligent young thangs (I know one). However, I can't confirm anything.

KingDakai

HSC
Hi!

Does anyone here have an idea about what the competition WITHIN B Psychological Science @UNSW is like? Is the competition fierce (like medical science) or is it just like other courses?

Edit: sorry to OP about hijacking the thread
Haha no problem, I'm interested in your question as well haha

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm assuming you mean maths

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah you definitely don't need 4U unless you were planning on doing advanced maths at uni or actuarial studies or something.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
if you want to goto unsw and do com sci, you will have maths courses as compulsory cores, which will contain topics covered in the 4u course e.g. complex, integration, probability stuff

though 4U is NOT A PREREQ

Last edited:

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
if you want to goto unsw and do com sci, you will have maths courses as compulsory cores, which will contain topics covered in the 4u course e.g. complex, integration, probability stuff

though 4U is NOT A PREREQ
at usyd, you have to do 12cp of maths for science (1st year math subjects are 3cp each) and so if you do com sci you also have to do maths (no maths required for commerce part except business stats but you can replace this with one of the MATHXXXX stats subjects- but this limits what you can major in for com)

with the compulsory math units for science, you have to do 4, but there are three difficulty levels to choose from (each of which has the 4 subjects you need to do):

1. Advanced- 4U is a prerequisite
2. Normal- 3U is a prerequisite*
3. Fundamental- 2U is a prerequisite*

I did 3U in highschool but i did fundamental units because im a lazy cunt lol

*= these two are similar, its just that you do a few extra concepts in the normal one i think

Last edited:
HSC
B Psychological Science essentially fills the gap for students who fall between the cut-offs of B Psychology and B Science. Those who choose it are generally more committed to psychology than those who do it through a major, so they are more likely to want to continue. However, I wouldn't worry too much about "competition". No matter which degree you are in at UNSW, achieving an average of 75 in your psychology courses will grant you access to honours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)