psychology (1 Viewer)

fionang8191

HSC
N/A
i was thinking of doing psychology at uni and i was wondering does psychology attract a good pay packet... and is it really hard to find a job cause i was looking through the paper and the online job seeking sites and there are no vacancies for a psychologist... that just makes me think that there isn't a demand and that it is really hard to find a job.. ( i kinda wanna work in a hospital)

pinkly

Hands are handy.
HSC
Well, if you're looking at a career as a psychology lecturer (which you've said you're not, but whatever) HR UNSW has pay at
The salary range for Lecturer is A$75,413 - A$88,902 per year and for Senior Lecturer is A$91,596 - A$105,086 per year
for Clinical and HR UNSW again has
The salary range for Lecturer is A$75,413 - A$88,902 per year and for Senior Lecturer is A$91,596 - A$105,086 per year
for Social psychology. Which probably means you're gonna have to do a PhD or something similar, I'm unsure.

Is there a specific type of psychologist you'd like? The counselling/ clinical type isn't the only type there is, contrary to popular belief. Many don't end up working in hospitals.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
That's for a Psychologist who has PhD, then what about a Psychologist with only a Bachelor's degree?
Civil Engos earn about the same amount, likely at Bachelor level.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
you can basically work in all industries with a bachelor's degree

jb2007

HSC
I think you can also just do 2 years of supervised training instead of the post grad stuff like masters. That qualifies you with the APS i think. Don't quote me on that though.

bubbly89

HSC
jb2007 said:
I think you can also just do 2 years of supervised training instead of the post grad stuff like masters. That qualifies you with the APS i think. Don't quote me on that though.
Its much harder to do it that way, you have to find someone willing to supervise you and whatnot.

Anyway there is a shortage of psychologists at the moment, if you were to graduate tomorrow you'd be able to find a job fairly easily.

As for money... it really depends on what area of psychology you end up working in and if you decide to join a clinic or if you start your own business. Basically if you don't have to give a commission to your company you can earn a whole lot more, but there's also extra paperwork and less security.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)