• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Public School Teachers - Performance Pay (1 Viewer)

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
I think schools need more power to sack idiot teachers. Also I think there needs to be more testing when applying for a teaching job, like a trial period (say you have to teach this class about this syllabus point and you will be observed).

I remember we had a stupid teacher in year 11 it took her 9 months to get the sack

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I think schools need more power to sack idiot teachers. Also I think there needs to be more testing when applying for a teaching job, like a trial period (say you have to teach this class about this syllabus point and you will be observed).

I remember we had a stupid teacher in year 11 it took her 9 months to get the sack
Did she actually get sacked, or just moved to another school?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
The other thing is, DET is so laggardly in its recruitment practices that by the time they get around to offering jobs to fresh grads the good ones have already been snapped up by private schools.

So they certainly do need to reform their recruitment practices.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Before that, they need to make it harder to get into teaching at uni. The girl I mentioned before got a UAI of > 50, but got in through early entry (be fucked if I know how that happened either).

Iruka

HSC
N/A
^^I think that if they did that, they simply wouldn't fill the places in the course. Education is not an area that has high student demand.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
^^I think that if they did that, they simply wouldn't fill the places in the course. Education is not an area that has high student demand.
Yes it is! It's regularly one of the most filled degrees, in terms of intake.

The problem is, because it's so easy to get into and because the pay is comparatively better than most grad jobs, completely imbeciles make it in. And once they're in, it's hard to get rid of them.

It takes a lot to be scratched from the DET register.

B_B_J

Banned
HSC
Dont think its going to be any good dropping the Dip ed.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
Before that, they need to make it harder to get into teaching at uni. The girl I mentioned before got a UAI of > 50, but got in through early entry (be fucked if I know how that happened either).
my UAI was low in the HSC and i got into teaching (it was high enough to get in) However my marks in the area i want to teach were 80's

I know someone with 56 UAI and got into my course (the uai was 65) cos she got early entry she is an idiot and should not be in teh course nor deserves to be in the course

The UAI's are low for some cos of the high demand for teachers.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Yes it is! It's regularly one of the most filled degrees, in terms of intake.

The problem is, because it's so easy to get into and because the pay is comparatively better than most grad jobs, completely imbeciles make it in. And once they're in, it's hard to get rid of them.

It takes a lot to be scratched from the DET register.
Grad pay is certainly very good in teaching, but the problem is that you don't go anywhere in the long run. Salary maxes out after 7 years, I think. For example, I was looking at a job with NSW health as a trainee biostatistician, and the starting pay there is more than I will earn as a classroom teacher, ever. And this is just for a traineeship! (I mean, they pay you to go and do a full-fee masters degree on top of your wages.)

I think the reason why teaching is regularly filled is that they are taking all these borderline students (national priority funding area, and all that).

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I think it makes the degree look dumber too though. I remember when I did my HSC and I saw that teaching was 60, I said 'lol no way why would I work my arse off to get good marks, when all I need is a 60'

People getting the high marks don't want to feel like they're wasting their marks on teaching, when they can apply for law or something, purely to make themselves feel like the hard yards were worth it.

B_B_J

Banned
HSC
You can still do teaching post grad, but you have to do a 2 year Bachelor of Teaching or something instead.
hmm, well I had a really good maths teacher in high school who was a former mining engineer before he took up teaching. he told me that he hated being in the outback weeks at a time and after 3 years of doing such a shit job he took the 1 year Dip Ed which landed him teaching maths in a public school.

There are some really good teachers out there who have become teachers due to the dip Ed offered by some institutions, however there are also some really fuck tards as well.
2 years masters just for teaching.....hmm not sure about that.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Grad pay is certainly very good in teaching, but the problem is that you don't go anywhere in the long run. Salary maxes out after 7 years, I think. For example, I was looking at a job with NSW health as a trainee biostatistician, and the starting pay there is more than I will earn as a classroom teacher, ever. And this is just for a traineeship! (I mean, they pay you to go and do a full-fee masters degree on top of your wages.)

I think the reason why teaching is regularly filled is that they are taking all these borderline students (national priority funding area, and all that).
NSW Health has similar thing though.

In nursing, I think after your 8th year you can't progress past that pay grade unless you go off and get more qualifications. Same with hospital scientists and most other professions in NSW Health.

Perhaps this problem in teaching can be fixed by getting teachers, if they want to progress past their pay grade, to go and get further tertiary qualifications?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
hmm, well I had a really good maths teacher in high school who was a former mining engineer before he took up teaching. he told me that he hated being in the outback weeks at a time and after 3 years of doing such a shit job he took the 1 year Dip Ed which landed him a teaching maths in a public school.

There are some really good teachers out there who have become teachers due to the dip Ed offered by some institutions, however there are also some really fuck tards as well.
And yet, they seem to be intent on phasing the dip ed out at most institutions.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
hmm, well I had a really good maths teacher in high school who was a former mining engineer before he took up teaching. he told me that he hated being in the outback weeks at a time and after 3 years of doing such a shit job he took the 1 year Dip Ed which landed him teaching maths in a public school.

Well the one at CSU is offered in conjunction with a scholarship to encourage people in the industries to come across. It's not a Dip Ed but a Bachelor of Education.

At res last year we had a professional chef doing a bachelor of teaching, because the DET had offered to pay for the degree/costs + allowance, in order to recruit him as a hospitality teacher. So the incentive isn't completely lost, and these degrees can still be done by distance education.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Because ultimately you're going to have good teachers in shit schools. I had an amazing English teacher, who taught at a cunted school. If we were to look at the marks of my HSC cohort and use it as a reflection of her teaching, it would be inaccurate.

IMO, even pay for all teachers, but as you said, fire the shit ones. If they cannot pass yearly literacy or numeracy tests, or demonstrate ongoing learning (such as submitting research) then they don't deserve to be a teacher.
Regression analysis of the data to control for the quality of the school/students. That way you isolate the impact that a teacher has and mitigate the problem of good tecaher in a bad school and bad teacher in a good school.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I don't find out if I've passed or failed statistics until the 17th, so I am going to pretend that I fully comprehend regression analysis given that I didn't understand it for the exam (goes off to become a maths teacher)

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
just throwing this out there but i think the uni's should be monitoring teaching students marks too, if they are constantly failing, and not caring, maybe they should be questioning there motives or there place there to 'weed out' the people who are not committed to been good teachers.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Well some unis have a set of 'key subjects' that you can only fail once, if you fail it twice you get kicked out of the degree.

Either she didn't fail any key subjects, or she only failed them once, but failed a heap. idk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)