• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Pulling your muscle, some questions... (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
im not saying i go and do hamstring curls, im saying that whenever my legs bend and my hamstring tenses, there's a high chance that the muscle will pull, or 'cramp.'

Oliver04

HSC
im not saying i go and do hamstring curls, im saying that whenever my legs bend and my hamstring tenses, there's a high chance that the muscle will pull, or 'cramp.'
Sorry. Don't listen to me, I'm too left field anyways.

bayside9

HSC
Like alot of people have suggested, sounds like an electrolyte imbalance. Muscle and nerve function require 3 main minerals, calcium, potassium, sodium and magnesium to a lesser extent. Various electrolyte draining shit draws these elements out - sweating (physical exercise) + other factors.

If your low on these no matter how much water you drink will never replace electrolytes, focus on foods that are high in these, or take supplements. Personally i always cramp from long surfs, bananas are a really good - full of potassium.

If its not this, i take it all back.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
i tried doing strenuous exercise in nice cold temperatures one day.
hurt for quite a while.

lesson is to warm up somewhere else warm before exercising, training or engaging in combat out in the cold.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
yea my warm up consists of stretching, 50 pushups in 1 go, and more stretching.

edit: i should probably eat more fruit, will do that

Last edited:

BreezerD

HSC
Not doing leg curls is probably a good way to not get hamstring cramps. The concentric phase of a leg curl shortens the hamstring to a position far shorter than it will ever be in any anatomically correct use of the knee and/or hip joints. This, combined with isolating the hamstring from the quad through the use of this machine (isolation of the quad and hamstring from eachother is, once again, never replicated in normal human movement) is a surefire way to make your golgi tendon go nuts.. leading to cramping.

For the record, the only time I have ever tried to do a leg curl, my hamstrings cramped. I don't really ever get hamstring cramps otherwise.

Oliver04

HSC
Not doing leg curls is probably a good way to not get hamstring cramps. The concentric phase of a leg curl shortens the hamstring to a position far shorter than it will ever be in any anatomically correct use of the knee and/or hip joints. This, combined with isolating the hamstring from the quad through the use of this machine (isolation of the quad and hamstring from eachother is, once again, never replicated in normal human movement) is a surefire way to make your golgi tendon go nuts.. leading to cramping.

For the record, the only time I have ever tried to do a leg curl, my hamstrings cramped. I don't really ever get hamstring cramps otherwise.
It's funny how someone posts something really intelligent like this and it gets ignored.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Weightlifting stats(5RM): 155kg squat, 102.5kg bench, 177.5 deadlift.
F**k, Just noticed this.

You must be one huge dude to 5RM 155kg squat and the other lifts.

I've never seen anyone to even 1RM 155kg properly.

daniieee

HSC
What's the difference between a muscle pull, a muscle stretch, a muscle cramp? I sometimes get what I thought was a muscle pull after netball games, when I couldn't be bothered stretching beforehand. It usually happens as I'm walking. I'll be in excruciating pain for about 3-5 minutes, but massaging it helps. Then it'll be sore for maybe an hour later, and I'll be back to normal again.

F**k, Just noticed this.

And I have no idea how impressive that is. Does that mean you can do squats with a 155kg load? Fudge that's 3 & a half of me.

BreezerD

HSC
What's the difference between a muscle pull, a muscle stretch, a muscle cramp? I sometimes get what I thought was a muscle pull after netball games, when I couldn't be bothered stretching beforehand. It usually happens as I'm walking. I'll be in excruciating pain for about 3-5 minutes, but massaging it helps. Then it'll be sore for maybe an hour later, and I'll be back to normal again.

And I have no idea how impressive that is. Does that mean you can do squats with a 155kg load? Fudge that's 3 & a half of me.
When people say they've "pulled" a muscle they typically mean they've done some degree of damage to the actual muscle fibres - minor tears will hurt a little and heal in a matter of days, whereas complete tears (where the muscle completely or almost completely severs) can take months and the muscle tends to never function the same again.

A muscle stretch? To me that would be something you'd do deliberately as part of a warmup routine.

And a muscle cramp - an involuntary, usually painful contraction of a muscle.

Oliver04

HSC
F**k, Just noticed this.

not really. I'm teetering on 90kg. Its pretty obvious i lift weights now - the guys at work call me arnie, but they're chinese so there's a noticeable size difference anyway.

My goal is to get to get over 100kg and stay relatively lean so that I fill out my shirts and and can find work as a bouncer whilst at uni. I'm a massive schwarzenegger and draper fan as well. Part of me wanted to do powerlifting, but with a law degree I just cant give up that much time.

Lifting gets hard with uni when exams come around but I'm currently saving up for microplates so i can go back on the rippetoe cycle for a while and then i'll stay on the texas method for the rest of my life which i basically a whole lot of squats, deadlifts, benches, overhead presses, rows, pull ups and a bit of arm and ab work as well.

btw, breezer.d is a competitive powerlifter with a 195kg squat, 230kg deadlift and 135kg bench...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)