PwC Economics and Business Studies Competitions (1 Viewer)

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Hi there,

This is a message from the Organising Committee of the 2005 PwC Economics and Business Studies Competitions.

Hey Commerce students,

Do you remember sitting for either the Economics or Business Studies
comp in high school? Well now here's your chance to make a contribution
to what goes on behind the scenes of this challening and prestigious event.

The annual PwC Australian Economics and Business Studies Competitions
have started up again for 2005, and we're recruiting volunteers to help
organise this competition. If you're interested in taking part of the
organisation process, playing a role in our Presentation Evening or just
want something impressive for your resume, then come along to our
meeting on 12pm, Thursday 17th March inside the Comsoc Office (lower
ground floor of the John Goodsell Building).

If you're interested in coming to the meeting, RSVP the Competition's Operations Co-ordinator, Lisa (who handles all our recruitment) at e.dess@student.unsw.edu.au and if you can't come but you are still interested email you us your details and we will contact you with further information.

Cheers
The Organizing Committee 2005
PwC Student Competitions

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll be there for a brief talk for people interested in what being a volunteer involves throughout the year.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Minai said:
I'll be there for a brief talk for people interested in what being a volunteer involves throughout the year.
Can you tell as now? :)

B

Bambul

I really recommend it. You get to meet a lot of people, plus it can be rewarding even (dare I say it) fun. You might even get to meet Minai :)

theone123 said:
how bout 'other' students? :)
It's not restricted to Commerce and Economics students, anyone can join. Most of the students are commerce students, but there has been the occassional one from another faculty.

Acid

HSC
Hehe - all the people that turned up were from BoS. For those who care, I was the tanned guy with the army-coloured hat. I was the only non-asian there, so I guess I won't be that hard to pick out. :)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Acid said:
Hehe - all the people that turned up were from BoS. For those who care, I was the tanned guy with the army-coloured hat. I was the only non-asian there, so I guess I won't be that hard to pick out. :)
lol, u mean u were the "whats in it for us?" guy lol :p
aye, im half non-asian...:p

Acid

HSC
Grizzly said:
lol, u mean u were the "whats in it for us?" guy lol :p
aye, im half non-asian...:p
LOL - I said I didn't mean to sound selfish. I just wanted them to sell the idea to me... :)

Besides - Data entry isn't too enticing!

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Acid said:
LOL - I said I didn't mean to sound selfish. I just wanted them to sell the idea to me... :)

Besides - Data entry isn't too enticing!
it doesnt sound like data entry that much....like i mean, we aint number crunching figures in....just typing stuff lol...*shrugs* :p

Acid

HSC
Grizzly said:
it doesnt sound like data entry that much....like i mean, we aint number crunching figures in....just typing stuff lol...*shrugs* :p
"Typing stuff" = Entering data. Hence it's data entry...

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Acid said:
"Typing stuff" = Entering data. Hence it's data entry...
lol yeah yea, but its not a full time job dood, and would be over before the semester...since the comp is sat in middle of may.

i just want the free buffet or wotever minai said lol

Acid

HSC
Yeah free buffet sounds good. I'd rather mingle with PwC reps, and scam some of Minai/the other co-ordinators' first year notes...

Hey, you're second year aren't you Grizzly? Add me to your msn... ashermoses86@hotmail.com :)

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Lies~!

Ah well, data entry is easy stuff. ;)

edit: someone said free lunch?

Last edited:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Eagles said:
Lies~!

Ah well, data entry is easy stuff. ;)

edit: someone said free lunch?
eagles is shouting pwc co-ordinaters+volunteer's free lunch.. woohoo!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll give you guys a rundown of what to expect as volunteers:

1. Data entry - yes its mundane, but it has to be done. Schools send in their entry forms, so you'll have to ask for any mail for comsoc at the student centre desk. Enter the info on the entry form into the database and record the cheque.
2. Sorting - when the comp's are sat, schools start sending their responses back. We have the grand task of sorting these response sheets by competition, then by state, then by school (alphabetically)

It's not all smooth sailing though - schools will call saying "we didnt get the comp mailed!" or "can we have extra response sheets/questions!" etc, so you guys help out by packing the required documents and mailing them off to schools.

After everything has been processed (results etc), we start organising the presentation evening. You guys get to come and help organise the evening (ushering, catering, answering questions, giving speeches/hosting etc). You'll also have to opportunity to mingle with PwC rep's and get some inside info, and also with the Dean/Associate Dean of commerce (contacts!)

What else...yeah, this year's coordinators will then get to pick 2006 coordinators, and you guys start the process all over again, starting with question setting.

It's not all boring though, cause you seriously make a HEAP of friends in comsoc, and gain networking (most comsoc execs had internships at big4 firms), you also get to err..rort resources in comsoc (like the printer and the phone!) and get preferences to any comsoc BBQ or anything like that. I also had the pleasure (last year) of being Returning Officer of the 2005 Comsoc elections.

So yeah, it may look dull on the outside, but once you become involved, I think its a very worthwhile experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)