Pygmalion and My Fair Lady (1 Viewer)

stargaze

HSC
Has anyone compared these two texts (i.e. the values, attitudes, beliefs etc?). btw, Pygmalion is the original play text itself, not the 1938 movie.

If so, what in particular did u find the most contrast in and hence write/talk about most?

Alaranth

We also did Pygmalion the Greek Myth and Pretty Woman. I found it hard to do stuff between the play and My Fair Lady, cos they're very similar. The main thing is the ending, with them getting together in the end. Also Higgens' character, in that he often sings things he would never say, and of course the songs. They were going to a different audience, so that's why they changed it, to suit pop culture. Hope this helps!

stargaze

HSC
Hmm yeah.. thanks
I saw a lot of importance in the songs too. Say a lot of stuff that expresses more about the character than in the play.
To clarify the ending in total: She is going back to live with him, but not in a relationship right? Does this symbolize a change in male-female relationships, a change in Higgins and hence males in general, or the usual stereotypically submittance of a woman to a man. ...etc

Basically. I think I've got enough but it isn't as clear cut and contrasting as I had hoped it would be..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)