Pyschology at unsw (1 Viewer)

stormstormstorm

HSC
Okay ... i just got my uai 89.20 - a little disappointed but oh well - and i am thinking of doing psych through a BSc(Adv). i have a few questions:

1) is there any difference between BPsych and BSc(Adv) majoring in Psych

2) is it hard to get into honours at unsw - ie are there too many students to fill too few places

3) which is the better uni for psych - UNSW or syd

cheers

bubble

Moo
HSC
UNSW Is the top Uni for Psych in Australia.

As far as i've been led to believe there is little difference between doing Science(Adv) and Psych. Except with Science you do a few more scientific electives :p

Maybe someone can tell you in more detail.

Hopefully I'll see you next year

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
stormstormstorm said:
Okay ... i just got my uai 89.20 - a little disappointed but oh well - and i am thinking of doing psych through a BSc(Adv).
cheers
Don't be disappointed. You did well and you will probably get into B Sc (Adv). :)

stormstormstorm said:
1) is there any difference between BPsych and BSc(Adv) majoring in Psych
Just one minor difference. In your first year B Psych, you do one specific subjects called "PSYC1021 Intro to Psych Applications" which is only available to B Psych students. However, all other Psyc subjects in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year are availabe to both science and Psyc students. So I don't think doing one less Psyc subject in B Science (Adv) is going to be a major difference. :) Besides that everything is the same between the two, as long as you follow the study plan in B Psyc as in your B Science (Adv).

stormstormstorm said:
2) is it hard to get into honours at unsw - ie are there too many students to fill too few places

cheers
The minimum requirement is a credit average (65+). Most people who wants to get into Honours will get it. The School of Psyc is pretty big :) But of course you want a higher mark because you will be more likely to get your preferred project.

stormstormstorm said:
3) which is the better uni for psych - UNSW or syd
I don't think I can offer you an objective answer for this one. My advice is to look through the Handbook for both programs and see the various subjects each uni offers and decide base on that. :)

The various subjects you take in B Psychology (or B Science adv) are here:
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2006/3432.html

Good luck on your offer!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
What do you guys think of the job opportunities for B Sc (Major in Psych) are?

Without honours that is. I can't really see much opportunity for some reason. Though I wish to be proved wrong.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
somewhere in HR...like administering psychometric tests *grrrrr* >.<

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Survivor39 said:
The minimum requirement is a credit average (65+). Most people who wants to get into Honours will get it. The School of Psyc is pretty big :) But of course you want a higher mark because you will be more likely to get your preferred project.
Actually, I'm almost certain they've changed the requirements of honours. In heard they've increased the average to 70% however Stormstormstorm you might want to check it out first to be certain.

Ragerunner said:
What do you guys think of the job opportunities for B Sc (Major in Psych) are?

Without honours that is. I can't really see much opportunity for some reason. Though I wish to be proved wrong.
Depends what you want to do. Just because you major in psych, that doesn't mean you'll be doing something related to psych. It really depends on what you want to do once you've graduated.

Watsername

HSC
I really want to study psycholgy and Maquarie has been sounding really good for me as it offers animal psycholgy and seems to be the best uni for psych, but it would be an hour travel each way to get there while unsw is like 15 minutes, so i do'nt know if mq is going to be worth it?

I got 93.3, so if I went to mq I would probably be doing Bsci(Psych) and if I went to unsw I would be doing adv science, I'm not sure what I could get into at usyd..so yeah, does anyone have any advice for me? I'm really confused

televators

HSC
in my opinion, go to unsw- its closer, and you do practically the same material in 1st year psych from each uni. (This is coming from a person who did Bsc-Psych at macq this year and had a friend doing BSc (Adv- Psych) at unsw.)

I would *think* that in an Advanced science degree you would have to pick a few advanced subjects to meet the requirement..although im not sure as I don't go to unsw.

Macq's science-psych degree is very flexible (probably too flexible for a science degree imo)- you can do practically anything in it as an elective (in first year- whilst latter years require more science units- there are more psychology units, so you are covered regardless)

specialjenny

HSC
I am confuse now.. so can you become a psychologist doing B Science and major in Psychology? Or must you do B Science (Advance)/BPsychology????????? Thanks.

wanton-wonton

HSC
specialjenny said:
I am confuse now.. so can you become a psychologist doing B Science and major in Psychology? Or must you do B Science (Advance)/BPsychology????????? Thanks.
No, to be recognised as a Psychologist, you must do post-grad or do clinical work.

Visit the APS website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)