Q about umat mark (1 Viewer)

>monkey<

HSC
hey guys
im just wondering how hard it actually is to get a umat of about 180+
like in Dallas' and MedEntry prep course questions and practice exams about wat percentage would be equivalent to a umat of 180+ ?? ..ne one know??

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
1) Prep courses are not from ACER or Endorsed by ACER or unis.. so there is no correlation to the actual UMAT..

2) the UMAT score is given as a raw and a percentile (think lik scaled lik the UAI)... so even if u were talkin about it.. im not sure which u want... raw 180 is pretti hard ( but its variable between yrs) .. percentile.. 180.. is kinda easy.. (top 40% of candidates)

well rephrase ure question.. but i doubt tat anyone will kno.. without speculating..

btw.. Prep Courses Marks do not correlate well with actual UMATs.... so i wouldnt hav such high hopes.. cos they do not always keep their material up to date... lik exactly lik the UMAT..

inasero

Reborn
HSC
lexi got a zillion billion squiliion marks both scaled and percentage wise...nothing compares to THE lexi :p

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
lex would have had ~200 raw - which is quite impressive. 200 percentiles is good but not in the same league and probably not enough for an interview at most places.
The UNSW site clearly says it uses umat scores not percentiles.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Thanks, its not as if i didnt already know that.
if you knew that there's no point asking in the first place is there einstein?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Er, I got 206 scaled (there are no raw marks) and 285/300 (or overall 95) percentiles in UMAT 2004.

That was pretty much overkill for interviews, but I am adamant that a few points less and I wouldn't be a med student today. That score scraped me in. :p

I'd say 180 (scaled score) is a good round number to break. With a decent UAI anything upside of that should be seeing you into interview-land...BUT there are plenty of people in waiting rooms with lower scaled aggregates as well.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
inasero said:
if you knew that there's no point asking in the first place is there einstein?
I was after a qualititative answer genius.
Lexicographer said:
Er, I got 206 scaled (there are no raw marks) and 285/300 (or overall 95) percentiles in UMAT 2004.

That was pretty much overkill for interviews, but I am adamant that a few points less and I wouldn't be a med student today. That score scraped me in. :p

I'd say 180 (scaled score) is a good round number to break. With a decent UAI anything upside of that should be seeing you into interview-land...BUT there are plenty of people in waiting rooms with lower scaled aggregates as well.
Whoa, ive heard ppl with scores of ~240. That's probably a percentile of 290+? And Lexi, what's a 'decent' uai?

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
ACER doesn't say what the maximum scaled score is from year to year (it changes) but yeah, 240 is insane. WAY higher than mine, and mine were pretty damn high. In fact, the highest I've heard of (scaled scores that is) were about 208.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Lexicographer said:
With a decent UAI anything upside of that should be seeing you into interview-land...BUT there are plenty of people in waiting rooms with lower scaled aggregates as well.

Just repeating velox's question, what is a 'decent' UAI? Also, how do the people with the lower scaled aggregates get into the waiting rooms? Is it because they have 'better than decent' UAI's?

Just another quick question - 285 percentile (absolutely amazing score Lexi) - that puts you in the top 15% or higher? This is with relevance to the University of Melbourne criteria: A UAI of 96 and a UMAT score in the top 25% is required for a place. So, the top 25% would be...?(Changing each year, I know, but near the vicinity of...?)

:)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
No, 285/300 is 95%

But that doesn't mean I'm in the 5th percentile, it could be higher or lower (ACER releases no hard data).

A "decent" UAI, again, depends on the school. The PBL schools take anything higher than their cutoffs (95, 93.5 and 90 or thereabouts) while the others demand a MUCH higher standard at around 98+. If you're past 99 then you have nothing to worry about in terms of UAI, focus on the other bits. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)