Qld learners pass without being able to reverse... (1 Viewer)

rozymisty

HSC
Interesting article....I agree with it though. I am going to go for my test soon, and my new instructor hasnt taught me really parking properly or stuff like that. Now i dont have the luxury of having parents to teach me or being able to use friends cars so I rely on driving schools. My manual instructor is shocked at the level of teaching of some other schools.
And you need to re-teach older 'experienced' drivers too!!! Coz us new drivers just learn by example after a while, like not indicating and giving way etc!

Licence standards blamed as test fails learner drivers

Licence standards blamed as test fails learner drivers | The Courier-Mail
By Robyn Ironside
August 15, 2009 12:00am

DRIVER trainers have panned poor standards for learners in Queensland, claiming some are passing their tests despite not being able to reverse.

The criticism from members of the Australian Driver Trainers Association follows revelations in The Courier-Mail that Queensland Transport officers have been ordered to go easy on learner-driver logbooks.

ADTA Brisbane North representative Alan Farley said logbooks were doing nothing to improve the standard of driving in Queensland but the tests also left much to be desired.

"They generally only last between 20 minutes and half an hour and often they don't even get on a motorway. The worrying thing is the pass rate hasn't gone up," Mr Farley said.

The requirement for learners to perform only three manoeuvres during the test sometimes meant drivers could get their licence without knowing how to reverse.

"They can be asked to do a hill start, u-turn and turnaround, that's it. It's a joke."

Mr Farley said the 100-hours logbook system was also of concern to the industry because of the "false confidence" it gave to young drivers.

"Once parents feel comfortable with their child driving, they don't bother to correct them," he said.

"Parents are slacking off and they're learning bad steering habits, not indicating off roundabouts."

Queensland secretary of the ADTA, Beverley Chad, said it was not unusual to hear of parents "bodgeying up logbooks" because they did not have the time to spend driving with their child. "I tell them it's dishonest and they won't get the necessary experience but they still do it," Ms Chad said.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan has now ordered a review of the logbook system to ensure it is being run correctly.

Mr Farley said Queensland Transport also needed to review its licensing of driver trainers.

"QT runs courses where trainers hardly even get in a car. They sit in a classroom for nine days and then get their certificate to teach kids how to drive."

Opposition leader John-Paul Langbroek said the Government had introduced shoddy transport legislation.

"If the legislation is no good and is too hard to check up, then it's poor legislation," he said.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
article said:
DRIVER trainers have panned poor standards
get fucked
if people can pass without having to reverse it's not the instructors' fault its the fucking RTAs.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Wait, RTA tester or Learner Instructor?

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Stay Upright never taught me how to reverse in my motorcycle pre learners course maybe I should take legal action against them?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
They never taught me past Gear 3, the bastards!

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
they didnt taught me how to wheelie i had to learn that myself

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
i didn't do any reversing in my P's test...

i live in NSW
really? from your hsc year i'm assuming you recently got your p's, and you have to do two of the three, three point turn, reverse park, and kerbside stop, and two of them involve reversing.. ??

untouchablecuz

HSC
really? from your hsc year i'm assuming you recently got your p's, and you have to do two of the three, three point turn, reverse park, and kerbside stop, and two of them involve reversing.. ??
ah yes, 3 point turn

i did a 3 point turn and curbside stop; sorry :)

and yes, i got my p's back in january

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
ah yes, 3 point turn

i did a 3 point turn and curbside stop; sorry :)

and yes, i got my p's back in january
same =]] [manouvres and time] we should totally be best friends. i was like wow, how can you do a three point turn without reversing?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)