Qtm (1 Viewer)

rific

HSC
Just out of curiosity, how much focus, if any, is given to the Quality Teaching Model at other unis? Newcastle has, in my experience, spent a far amount of time on it, I mean, the copy I have is actually a draft, yes, we had it before it was it, thanks Jim. Really, it has been a highlight of my studies so far, sure.

Do other unis look at alternatives, or also focus on the new DET favourite?

rific

HSC
Haha, QTM = Quality Teaching Model. It's the current NSW DET endorsed teaching and learning reflective guideline. Well, I think that made sense.

rific

HSC
The way I understand it, there isn't a great deal of practical differences from the older Productive Pedagogy and other models. Some of the supporting documents provide some insight, but most of it you would imagine would be common sense for most teachers. The best value we've come up with for it is teacher based reflection, you can code the teaching and learning taking place in your classroom against an established list of requisites, if you fall down in one area, you can address it and hopefully improve the learning environment.

Oh, not sure if I've said this elsewhere, but I'm 4th year B.T/B.A (English/Legal)

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
rific would you have done 'Productive Pedagogy' in first year (EDUC1006) instead of the QTM??

I think my cohort was the first year to focus entirely on the QTM... because Jenny Gore and Jim Ladwig wrote it..... etc etc.. Newcaslte uni must paddle their own canoe etc...

That said, my Science lecturer today tried to educate us on how wonderful it is, to tell the children a story or experience of your own.. this is called 'story-telling' and is useful in the classroom...

ummm hello?? Have you not read teh QTM?? The element is called narrative, its in the Significance dimension, and I could probably tell you more about it than you could tell me!!

Having realised that I sat and played solitaire on my PDA for the rest of the lecture.

rific

HSC
Nope, I've only ever looked really briefly at the older frameworks. I started with QTM thanks to Jim and Jenny, and yes, chances are by now you could still explain it better than most of the staff there, we think it's a bit of a joke that they don't use the principles they espouse.

Out on prac, quite a few of us had to explain it to some staff members, who hadn't had time to do any professional development on it by that stage. That was a little unexpected for our first prac experience.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
most teachers i have spoken to rekon its a waste of time, because thats what they do in their classroom anyway, mind you none of these teachers are chalk and talk teachers either, that might make the difference..... *ponders*

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Never heard of it! Ask me anything about the QTM tho!

Does that confirm your suspicions? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)