Quality of B Psych at mq? (1 Viewer)

televators

HSC
Hey guys,

After attending open days at both Macquarie and Sydney uni's, I have to say that I am torn between both, though I'd like to attend Macquarie Uni, for travel reasons

I heard that the Psych program at macquarie is in fact better than what is being offered at Sydney, and from what I saw at the open day, it seems so...

so is what I am thinking right?

any information on the quality of the psychology course at mq would be greatly appreciated, as I hope to study it next year...

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
if you are a sciency person go to usyd, if you prefer artsy type subjects go to mac

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
nah its different
honours at macq is like a 95 somethin
whereas b psych at syd is about well aroudn there?
but then arts-psych is 87 or so at macq
nd well arts is 85 at syd

im doin psych atm but i havent done any of the psych subjects so i wouldnt be able to tell u.
however well ive been told most people after graduatin come to macq to do their postgrad cause we offer more areas. whereas syd only offer clinical and one other thing. and macq offers alot?
sorry for the vagueness though

doe

HSC
N/A
why is it nearly every girl i meet at macuni is doing psych

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
I remember being part of an experiment in PSY105 (I think it was Professor Kip Williams experiment on ostracism) and the sample of the first year students had a girls to guys ratio of 4-1. *Sigh* The good ol' days..

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
although im in psych atm
i still dont quite know what the difference between the science-psych nd arts-psych is
anyone?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
they're both double degrees. so with both you'll get a bpsych. with one you get bsci and the other barts. barts is pretty open with subjects (but there are some prescribed units i think), but if you're doing bsci you have to do quite a few sci subjects.

if you can see what the diference between a bsci and barts is, what you have mentioned above has the same difference.

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
lol narh cause like
im lookin at the core subs and their err
all the same?
o_O

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
actually they are different..

a b. arts- psych degree is an ARTS degree with majors in PSYCHOLOGY..
the same goes for the b. science- psych degree... its a SCIENCE degree with majors in PSYCHOLOGY...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
so they're not double degrees?

to the trusty handbook...

wtf DP002 is the same for both... DP001 is a bit different, but where's all the science in the science degree?

found it:
SCI
General Requirements
Number of credit points required for the degree 68
Minimum number of credit points required at 200 level or above 38
Minimum number of designated science credit points required at 200 level or above 34
Minimum number of designated science credit points required at 300 level 18

ARTS
General Requirements
Number of credit points required for the degree 68
Minimum number of credit points required at 200 level or above 38
Minimum number of credit points required at 300 level 18

so they give you the core, but then you have to choose certain science subjects to satisfy the credit points for second and third year (you'll have to do some in first year, to do them in second year you have to do prereqs in first year)

http://handbook.mq.edu.au/degree.php?id=21078
http://handbook.mq.edu.au/degree.php?id=21035

Ava

HSC
I've been wondering about this Bsci/Barts thing too. I've read the posts but I still dont really understand....

Which is the better option?
For the bsci where you need to choose certain science subs....what kind of subs are they?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
if you hate science then don't do the sci one.

from what i understand you can choose any sci subjects that you want.. as long as they add to the cp.

televators

HSC
thanks for all the help guys...

I actually put down all 3 Psychology Major courses down in my uni preferences- B Psych (hons), BA- Psych and BSc- Psych- I hope to get into the honours degree, but I wouldnt mind the other two either- I'm probably more suited to the subjects offered in the BA compared to the Bsc, but I still enjoy science subjects, so either degree looks good...

How competitive is it to continue the 4th year of psychology at mq?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Bscience-psy is more related to medical psychology. Like, making medicine for patients, conducting experiments and tests.

Bart-psy is just opened. Mainly for counseling jobs and such.

There are a few honours students. I think 25 this year. But apparently most graduates are finding it hard to find a job from what I've been told. The Psy department does seem better than the one at NSW too. However science isn't very organised at Macq.

televators

HSC
bscienceboi said:
Bscience-psy is more related to medical psychology. Like, making medicine for patients, conducting experiments and tests.

Bart-psy is just opened. Mainly for counseling jobs and such.

There are a few honours students. I think 25 this year. But apparently most graduates are finding it hard to find a job from what I've been told. The Psy department does seem better than the one at NSW too. However science isn't very organised at Macq.
hard finding jobs even after they've become a registered psychologist? or just the undergrad BA-Psy/ Bsc-Degree?

and what's your definition of 'unorganised'?- lol, I i take it you do science there?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)