QUANTA - QUARKS... wtf?!?! (1 Viewer)

EXA BOY

did anyone else find this option extremely difficult??? the 7 mark question i didnt even know neutron scattering was in the silly Bus!!!!!! wats the deal?!?!?! and there were 2 other hard 3 mark qns aswell!!! wat a gay option!!!

Bug

I agree !!!!

What did people put for B III ??

The rest was fairly easy but the marking scale is very wierd !!!

blake

I SO AGREE!

QUANTUM TO QUARKS WAS HAAAARD

hehe

"Not Attempted"

*/me walks out*

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Me & Lake practised on it during the days before... :) It was just in time, when I spotted it buried deep and vague... Of course that's assuming I know what neutron scattering means...:D

Fermi's work on distribution of KE of electron also helped a bit (though I didn't remember the exact reason...)
That wuestion is a problem, because only some of the textbooks have information on that... it was in none of mine, except in Jacaranda which we can't officially borrow . :p (McLake stealed the teacher's copy... damn you...:p)

edit: oh, there it is... "marsden" notes...

Last edited:

EXA BOY

i got that jacaranda aswell hehehe stole it from james ruse hahah thanks mum!! ummmm but my summaries were ON THE SYLLABUS so i didnt even read the section on neutron scattering... didnt see the need 2 CAUSE ITS NOT IN THE SYLABUS!!!!! im so dirty bout that as u can prob tell..... grrrrr

Bug

I have the Excel HSC physics text book, it has half a page on neutron scattering. Given that it is 7 marks i suspect it's 3 marks for neutron scattering and 4 marks for the "other process that have been used to increase our understanding of the structure of matter" .... I did atom smashers.

I think i'll only get 3 or 4 marks for that question.

* The marks may be the other way around .... but i'm pritty sure it's 3 and 4 marks.

EXA BOY

it mite b discussed in the text books..... but there is NO dot point relating to it!!! if u can find me the one that says "describe neutron scattering" then tell me... cause i got every dot pt summarised with the words of the syllabus and it doesnt mention it i cant believe they can test sumthin that isnt there?!?!?!?! stupid idea 2 me... the other method is ok though i killed that part but i cant get 7 cause i wrote like 2 sentences on neuton scattering and i called it neutron bombardment anywayz cause i didnt know wat it was

Bug

Neutron scattering is in there.

9.8.5.4:
Explain why neutron scattering is used as a probe by referring to the properties of neutrons.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
for (b) (iii), what was the reason for the maximum at that point?

and i had to make up some bs about (c)(i) coz i didnt fink my response was gonna gain 3 marks.

ske

say what?...i thot u were spozed to work out the energy of the neutrino n explain the lost energy went into that..so were spozed to explain the graph?..coz i jus explained onli the beta decay reaction they gave us...eeeeeeh ><..there goes 3marks i guess...:rolleyes:

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
I'll post here for the maximum...
It's complex, I bitched about it then because I didn't get the info I needed in my textbooks...

I had to assume gaussian distribution (bell-shaped curve) would be the norm for all multi-particle collisions, (it's based on laws involving average kinetic energy for particles in air... related to diffusion, etc.) beta-decay is a collision, in a sense. (you see the non-syllabus stuff I had to write?)

I fudged some of the answer, and just stated reasons why most of the parrticles had to have much less than the maximum. These include: some beta-decays release EMR, up to gamma wavelength / There's a second particle involved, the antineutrino, which must also share in the energy, and all neutrinos are observed to travel very fast / In conditions where both laws of conservation held, I thought the relationship of 1/2 mv^2 and mv meant that particles would be likely have a low velocity instead of a high one.

I need somebody with a real answer... where's spice girl :D?

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
for (b) (iii), what was the reason for the maximum at that point?
Well, the reason for the peak is out of our syllabus. If you really wanna know:
http://230nsc1.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/fermi2.html

PS: i've nfi about what it all means...dun ask me. I just wrote: "it can be worked out by mathematics developed by Fermi.."

Wrong? then no one'll get it right...(i think)

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl

Wrong? then no one'll get it right...(i think)
That's a little conceted (even if it IS true ...)

I said most would be less than max due to energy lost as heat and sound ...

spice girl

magic mirror
anyways
my guess as to what we have to write for that question:

* a continuous distribution of energies
* always less than 1.16 MeV (because of conservation of energy: beta energy <= mass defect)
* explained by Pauli's neutrino: energy of mass defect "shared" by ejection of both neutrino and beta particle.

i dun think a maximum comes into it...(i think). Otherwise, I'm stuffed for one mark...

The BrickSh*ter

ARRRRRG

Sadly i looked after and the neutron scattering IS in the syllabus. However the general exam was pretty easy I left after 2 hours

I looked at the age of silcon questions and i could have done better in that option than quanta to quarks....

anyway 2 days till drinking time :);)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)