Quantify the numbers needed to enter post-grad law at USYD or UNSW? (1 Viewer)

BeeCom

HSC
Hi - I know USYD/UNSW specify "High C to D average + UAI over 90" but I'm looking for actual figures to quantify who has gotten into post-grad law at those universities. Sort've like the UAI figures - I'd like to get input on a variety of people of what they know of a person who has XX WAM and YY UAI, so I can get an idea of what the *lowest* entry score was in a certain year.

Why: I may be able to raise my WAM to 73-75 and am considering post grad law. Yes I have to choose now due to job offers that I have to accept soon - I can't accept and then renege. I'll accept if I find out that the -real- minimum WAM/UAI combo is like >76avg and >97UAI, which is unattainable for me

Thanks, any input is appreciated.

PS. Apologies if this is the wrong forum mods, couldn't decide between this and the transfer forum

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Have you tried phoning the law faculty? Anecdotal evidence will only get you so far, and just like the UAI, it changes every session.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
hfis said:
Have you tried phoning the law faculty?
That would be the first thing I'd do but I can also imagine encountering a by-the-numbers, know-nothing admin person who will only re-state the official numbers straight off the page and say that they cannot speculate or help in any other way (which is fair enough).

BeeCom

HSC
RogueAcademic said:
That would be the first thing I'd do but I can also imagine encountering a by-the-numbers, know-nothing admin person who will only re-state the official numbers straight off the page and say that they cannot speculate or help in any other way (which is fair enough).
I've e-mailed both UAC and UNSW. Assuming I actually do get a response due to it being the holiday season , I can imagine the above scenario coming about, or 'privacy' issues or some such being raised.

Yes I know what ever I get here will be anecdotal, but it's better than nothing. Impossible to have a message board where everything posted on it is 100% verifiable.

porphyrin

HSC
N/A
I was just offered a place in grad law at USYD with a GPA of 6.64 (BSc (Chem)).

My UAI/TER wasn't taken into consideration (happily!), because it is over 10 yrs since I did my HSC, so entry was solely based on my GPA. I spoke to Sydney Law School regarding this in December. Apparently, if your GPA on its own is more competitive than the GPA/UAI combination, they will base your entry ranking on GPA alone.

I have also heard this is now the case even if you completed your HSC < 10 years ago, but can't confirm that.

HTH

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
I'm pretty much in the same boat as the above poster. USyd considered me solely on GPA.
From the experience I've had with the unsw law faculty in regards to this though, is that they don't give straight answers. In Usyd's, taking what porphyrin wrote, and what's on their website, you should be in with a chance on a 73-75 WAM.

BeeCom

HSC
Thanks everyone.

FWIW this girl at my current work got in with a 70-71 WAM. UNSW commerce --> UNSW law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)