quantity vs quality (1 Viewer)

bhsrepresent

HSC
I definitely smashed module C and was on point with the question. Buuut... I still don't see myself getting more than 17 by virtue of the fact that my essay was only 5 pages (around 750-800 words).

Quantity vs quality? I feel like quality is key but realistically you can't be tapping into the high A's without 1000+

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I feel like quality is key but realistically you can't be tapping into the high A's without 1000+
You really can. If you were on the point and everything was relevant, then you should be able to get a High A mark. They aren't going to not give you marks based on what you didn't say, only on the quality and relevance of what you said.

I also recall that the BoS recommended responses between 800-1000 max for the sake of being succinct, so you should be good. And 5 pages isn't that bad, really. How big is your handwriting?

But generally, quantity allows for more quality to be involved in the essay only in the circumstance where this quantity is legitimate content and not waffle.

Quality > Quantity is just what people who don't write as much as other people say to make themselves feel better.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
You really can. If you were on the point and everything was relevant, then you should be able to get a High A mark. They aren't going to not give you marks based on what you didn't say, only on the quality and relevance of what you said.

I also recall that the BoS recommended responses between 800-1000 max for the sake of being succinct, so you should be good. And 5 pages isn't that bad, really. How big is your handwriting?

But generally, quantity allows for more quality to be involved in the essay only in the circumstance where this quantity is legitimate content and not waffle.

Quality > Quantity is just what people who don't write as much as other people say to make themselves feel better.
Exactly.

Yesterday after English, this girl was saying "quality not quantity" because she wrote 3 pages or something

then I said, you can't have the quality without quantity

then she left

DJ696

HSC
Exactly.

Yesterday after English, this girl was saying "quality not quantity" because she wrote 3 pages or something

then I said, you can't have the quality without quantity

then she left
Exactly.

This guy yesterday wrong 4 pages for his belonging essay and does Advance English and I said I did 9 pages for my belonging essay and I do standard English.

His like "quality over quantity" but I said no good quality with good quantity.

As makers look for extensive essays :D

bhsrepresent

HSC

I typically get around 8-10 words per line.

The good thing about the style we've been taught to write in is that it's extremely condensed to the point that you have 5-8 techniques per paragraph and assume a kind of authority in your writing voice that bounces around philosophically intermingled ideas rather than the typical thematic approach. To quote the teacher ;"You have 7 paragraphs with their own ideas but by the end of the essay you've articulated over 50".

That said I've also found this approach dangerous - harder to adapt and relies on legit engagement from the marker. Hence why I'm starting to think quantity + simple links could have been the better way to go (since quantity allows you to drill home an idea even if its simple and they can't take that away from you.

Mutant Kitty

HSC
I only wrote 5 pages for Frank and Blade Runner, and 4 for the others.
I expect around 15 marks for each, as my writing is rather small.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Girl in my school got full marks on most assessments by writing 2 page essays. Her writing wasn't that big.
Some people who wrote 7+ pages got 14/20

Elisa Sweet

HSC
Quality over quantity. A lot of people will have heaps of pages with a lot of babbling on that has nothing to do with the question. And 5 pages is a lot. I write about 3 pages and get high B's/A's each time. I think you'll get a really good mark for it if you smashed it.

Elisa Sweet

HSC

Nope, just cause its fact

yasminee96

HSC
Quality is greater than quantity, but if you have both quality AND quantity, you're more likely to go better than the kid sitting next to you with quality and 3 pages. Quality>quantity used to be my excuse too, then i realised that i was coming around 10th and people were still beating me - kept the quality but upped the quantity, and now i'm 4th...so yeah.
That being said, last year's "exemplary" response for Hamlet was about 4-5 pages I believe. So don't be too worried - if you have very good quality work and paragraphs that are very condense, you should be fine, and A range is not out of reach :)

yasminee96

HSC
Quality over quantity. A lot of people will have heaps of pages with a lot of babbling on that has nothing to do with the question. And 5 pages is a lot. I write about 3 pages and get high B's/A's each time. I think you'll get a really good mark for it if you smashed it.
When you're up against students who are writing 6-12 pages, and aren't just babbling on about something not related to the question, AND who tightly answer the question, with great evidence, condensed paragraphs etc etc, your 3 pages will look more like a low C than a high B/A, because they simply can get SO much more on paper, many more ideas, and explore them more thoroughly.

Not going to disagree though that some people write like 10 pages and it's just a rote learned essay that has nothing to do with the question hahaha, that's where quantity won't help!

mathsiam

HSC
It really depends, like you definitely can't get a 16+/20 essay without writing at least a booklet for the hsc, but with that being said everyone's writing is different and some write bigger/smaller or write more spaced out than others. I personally don't have big handwriting but i also don't have really small handwriting its just very cursive and dense and I usually get around 10-12 words per line. As long as you write what you intended to write and you addressed the question, I think that's all that matters really because in other essay-writing subjects like economics, they don't want 10 pages of rambling, they would rather much prefer 4 pages of a cohesive and concise essay.

leesh95

HSC
our teacher gave us exemplary responses from last year. The one for module C had about 700 words but it was extremely interesting and good to read. The essay for Module B was about 600 word but it had a very strong argument and was a well formed essay.
Both were 19/20's.
SO sometimes quality> quantity.

daboom69

HSC
i reckon I'll get an exceeds expectations in my NEWTS. I want to be an auror when i grow up in the ministry of magic.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Nope, just cause its fact
Lol.

Can't have quality without content. Can't have content without quantity.

In reality the two are interrelated. Quantity with no content is what you called 'babble' and others call 'waffling'. Yes, that will do poorly. Quality relies on developed arguments with relevant content, and relevant content is what creates quantity. Quantity is not strictly a word count, quantity is developed content, which contributes to quality.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)