• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Quantum Mechanics (1 Viewer)

Jase

HSC
Only the first line was pseudo-sarcastic...

whatdya mean by quantum mechanics? like particle physics and discovering new particles for anything and everything?
so soon, we're gonna end up in a world where everything is run by QM?

"Sleep is due to sleep particles, or Sleepons.
Being gay is due to gay particles, or Gayons
the act of discovering new particles will be mediated by particle-particles, metapartons"

the only quantum mechanics i'm aware of is stuff from the HSC syllabus... which is pretty poor.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
yes i have to admit quanta to quarks is a piece of shit....

no, i'm not talking about particle physics, but rather the implications of it, like quantum immortality, and its aspects in terms of cosmology.

Black holes, worm-holes

hmmmm, but also the philosphy of quantum mechanics is quite astounding, i only know a bit, but i'm researching more on the topic.

i'm talking about stuff like the 'many worlds' interpretation, or what the fabric of space is made up of, to perhaps the furthest we can arrive at a suitable model of our universe.

i thinks its pretty fun.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
lol donnie darko is a great movie

but id like to know more about QM- its one of those things u want to know about but dont need to

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Quantum Mechanics I like at least the basic levels of it on a qualatative level. Things like quantum entanglment, the standard model of matter, quantum tunnelling, quantum transmission, teleportation it is quite interesting. Speaking of quantum tunnelling a new TV is coming out within the next few years that uses it.

KwIcKsAnDz

HSC
Im into stuff like string theory and quantam mehcanics
i find it fascinating that our minds can even comprehend such theorys!

P.s there is a game called alpha centurai that is very pseudo intellectual. the game is in the civilisation style but its discoverys are like a crash course in physics and theories of future evolution of man black holes and the universe even human transcendence to higher plains of existance

KwIcKsAnDz

HSC
quantam mechanics is the stuff that really messes with your head like time paradox issues. so it must be good

Ninga

HSC
Quantum Mechanics at uni is pretty much based around the schrodinger, relativity, and...yeah, i cant remember the other stuff. Did a lot of maths though, a lot of stuff with bra and kets, and hamiltonian stuff too.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Schroedinger's cat is interesting. Not the gadenken as such, but the implications of it.

Anybody know much about quantum suicide, quantum immortality, the conflicting many-worlds and Copenhagen interpretations of quantum mechanics? This is one of the most interesting areas of quantum mechanics, but the trouble is it is essentially nothing more than metaphysics.

Further, what do you guys think of the implications of quantum entanglement? Will it really allow teleportation considering no energy, hence matter, is being transferred - only information? I know they have teleported atoms and such, but that's a far cry from a static inanimate, let alone a living, breathing, thinking entity.

And whatcha think about supersymmetry and m-theory (string theory)?

Haha, reminds me: "Quantum foam, makes me roam"

Last edited:

Kierkegaard

HSC
Modal (many-worlds) interpretations of Quantum Mechanics have been disproven by a recent Young's slit experiment in America. Hooray! I hate the many-worlds interpretation; modal logic sucks. Speaking of modal logic, anyone here ever heard of the modal ontological argument?

Quantum Mechanics is great stuff, especially Quantum Logics! Nearly as interesting as tense logic -- nearly.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Kierkegaard said:
Modal (many-worlds) interpretations of Quantum Mechanics have been disproven by a recent Young's slit experiment in America. Hooray! I hate the many-worlds interpretation; modal logic sucks. Speaking of modal logic, anyone here ever heard of the modal ontological argument?

Quantum Mechanics is great stuff, especially Quantum Logics! Nearly as interesting as tense logic -- nearly.
OH WTF!!!!!

are u shitting me?!?!!

after doing a damn philosphy do-or-die essay on the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics u say that its been disproved

*sighs*

well i did get 17/20 for the essay, but can u post a link or something for us???

i agree with you, exept on knowing what an modal ontological argument is. :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I, too, would like to see proof.

I personally find it hard to believe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)