Queries, pleez help!!!! (1 Viewer)

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
I encountered two questions when reading through my notes:

someone pleez help!!

1) What is the mechanism behind concentrated sulfuric acid extracting water? How come concentrated nitric acid doesn't do the same?

2) What is the mechanism of the Ziegler-Natta process? What is the catalyst used?

Thanks in advance! :)

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
Please dont tell me they are beyond syllabus, thanks. :)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Ziegler-Natta process
A few atmospheres and temperatures of about 60oC with catalyst of titanium (III) chloride and a trialkylaluminium compound

sulphuric acid extracts water because it forms hydrates ie. h2so4.h2o etc.
like copper sulphate going from white to blue by extracting water and forming hydrates

Azn fairies

..doing this off the toop of my head:p..

Ziegler-Natta process- this is a surface catalyst usally mental based. such as zeolite...

also h2so4 is used i nthe reation of hydratrion of ethene to form ehtanol becasue it's hyroscpic menaing it attracts water.. beacsue of it's HIGHLY polar nature (i think)...

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
awww... faries.. i hoipe you are not doing your HSC this year (i mean, that you are a year 11) because the first one is wrong and the second one is.. not so right..

no body replied because jm1234567890's :))) answer was probably the simplest and the best you can get out there (in the scope of HSC Chem) and two things.. 1, the Ziegler-Natta process is a polymerisation process, the catalysts jm1234567890 has mentioned are right. Besides, zeolite is used in catalytic cracking :) (i used to mix them up too)

2, H2SO4 is used in the dehydration/hydrolysis of ethanol/ethene as a Catalyst but not solely because of it's "water absorbing" ability (because Phosphoric Acid can also be used instead of Sulphuric Acid) and.. being polar does not mean it can absorb water, it will just *attract* (as you have said) water molecules but not "absorb" water molecules.. as jim123456789 (what's your name :p) has mentioned, it can absorb water because it can form hydrates (crystal lattace comtaining water) with water..

:) Good luck!

Azn fairies

lol...ahha i suck..i havn't studied chem yet..leaving it for last ...

thxs for clearling that up for me .cheers

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
awww.. that's okay.. i mean.. you sound like you know what you are talking about at least :) hehee.. forgot to mention that.. yeah.. i hope that helped.. and good luck with chem!

N

ND

Originally posted by Azn fairies
also h2so4 is used i nthe reation of hydratrion of ethene to form ehtanol becasue it's hyroscpic menaing it attracts water..
Just thought i'd mention that hygroscopic means it absorbs water from the atmosphere, and is different to dehydrating. :)

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by mitochondria

no body replied because jm1234567890's :))) answer was probably the simplest and the best you can get out there (in the scope of HSC Chem) and two things.. 1, the Ziegler-Natta process is a polymerisation process, the catalysts jm1234567890 has mentioned are right. Besides, zeolite is used in catalytic cracking :) (i used to mix them up too)

:) Good luck!
What exactly is the Ziegler-Natta process? Because I have never heard of it!! :( Is it in the options or do we need to know it in the first chapter (judging from the catalytic cracking that you've mentioned)

Oh Gosh...:eek:

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
It is a polymerisation process where you can make very ordered closely packed chains, e.g. high density polyethene.

Notice most books only give the free radical or addition mechanism which leads to low density polyethene (highly branched) and skips over the HDPE production because it is 2nd year coordination chemistry. This is not in the syllabus, know it by name's enough :)

N

ND

Originally posted by phenol
This is not in the syllabus, know it by name's enough :)
But aren't you allowed to describe this process instead of the LDPE one?

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
Originally posted by ND
But aren't you allowed to describe this process instead of the LDPE one?

why buy climbing shoes, rope and a helmet and climb a tree to pick apples when you can buy it from a supermarket? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)