query about med (1 Viewer)

teenangel

Hey PPLZ!

I am currently a year 12 student and I am really keen on doing medicine @ UNSW. I discovered that I really want to do med just this year. I know that I am not going to get ‘99.99’ as my UAI which u need to get into med the first year. So I now want to first get into a science or medical science course @ UNSW and then transfer to Med like in the 2nd year. But I went onto the UNSW med site, and it said that if u get less than ‘95’ for ur UAI and u want to transfer to Med during uni, then it is basically ‘impossible’ to because ur tertiary studies can never add up to the amount needed to get into Med.

But what if I get into a science or medical science course and I want to transfer? Both of these courses have UAI’s that are less than 95. So say if I get into the science course, then does that mean I don’t have a chance of getting into Med during uni?

OR is the best option to finish the ‘science’ or ‘medical science’ degree and then sit for the GAMSAT? but that would take much longer…. I don’t know…

Can U guyz give any suggestions? Any help will be appreciated!!!!!

THANX………

:confused:

santaslayer

HSC
I'm only answering part of this question:

It is highly unlikely that you will be able to transfer to UNSW Med if your UAI is below 95.00. :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
So say if I get into the science course, then does that mean I don’t have a chance of getting into Med during uni?

OR is the best option to finish the ‘science’ or ‘medical science’ degree and then sit for the GAMSAT? but that would take much longer…. I don’t know…
Think about it this way...if you want to do medicine you will have to go into postgrad college to obtain your fellowship (yes, even for GP practice) so all up, if you get into med undergraduate it will take you a minimum of 12 years (5 years undergrad, 2 years residency, 5 years college) but if you do grad med (longest period) it would take at least 3 years for undergrad course, 4 for graduate, 2 residency (working in hospital) and 5 postgrad....so 14 years.
Thinking about it logically, I don't see why you would be so narky about spending an extra two years in the 'backdoor' route when you're prepared to spend 12 whole years in the first place (13 if you're at UNSW), which is a fair call to committment on your behalf.

I've said this on another thread but your best bet would be to try to transfer in first year. At least try. If you don't make it you didn't lose much for trying. Then you can think about graduate medicine.

I know of someone who got 98 or so in their HSC, C/D average for BMedSci at USyd and transferred to UNCLE. So don't lose hope!

is a roflcopter
HSC
hi wilson
how are you these days
med treating you good?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
anatomy is the sux0r...trust me its like memorising a telephone book....
but other than that im getting along alright thks for asking :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
santaslayer said:
I'm only answering part of this question:

It is highly unlikely that you will be able to transfer to UNSW Med if your UAI is below 95.00. :)
Actually, the site (and faculty) both state in no unclear terms that it is impossible to enter Medicine at UNSW with a UAI less than 95.00

Which gives you my situation - a UAI well below 95.00, relying entirely on my performance at uni to get through. Not many people realise that the competition for "transfers" to medicine after one year is even more intense than for school leavers, because there are far fewer places for Non Recent School Leavers (NRSLs). That said, you should give it a shot anyway because you simply don't know whether you're what they want or not. Also, don't rule out interstate unis. Their medical courses are at least equal to (if not better than) the one you'll find at UNSW - living there is often cheap too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)