question 19 (1 Viewer)

serge

HSC
clever angel said:
hi ppl

can someone explain me q 19 part a how to draw the diagram

what are you talking about?
Is there a past paper or textbook that you're using?

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
what the hell is going on? someone care to explain?

clever angel

HSC
its the question about the effect of the earths rotational motion 2004 hsc

and we have to draw the positions of the three plantes mars, earth and dat's wat i don;t get

the answer is available in the 2004 success guide but i don;t undertstand it

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
I know the question but havent seen the answer, my guess is make sure the planets are orbiting counter-clockwise and launched from the earth vertically then tilted toward the east. When drawing its trajectory ensure it doesnt go straight to mars in a straight line, ensure it follows an orbitalmotion around the sun and therefore, has a curve to it

serge

HSC
clever angel said:
its the question about the effect of the earths rotational motion 2004 hsc

and we have to draw the positions of the three plantes mars, earth and dat's wat i don;t get

the answer is available in the 2004 success guide but i don;t undertstand it
Is this the one where you predict where they'll be in half an earth year?

Ghost1788

HSC
care to post to question up i only have the 2002 edition of physics HSC success...

serge

HSC
Yeh, its the one i guessed it was earlier

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2004exams/pdf_doc/physics_04.pdf

basically, you answer part A by thinking where will earth by in practically
7 months, ( a lil over half another orbit) but since Mars has a larger radius from the sun it will be behind the earth at that time

for the satellite having it spiralling out from earth and spiralling into Mars
i think that makes it more accurate

Last edited:

helper

HSC
N/A
How it was marked:

The time was approximately six months later, so a template was used that centred on the correct position opposite Earth, and gave about a cm leeway.

As the North pole is shown, you were required to have the planets orbiting anti-clockwise.

Based on the knowledge, that Mars has a larger orbit than Earth, then the Period had to be greater than Earth, So angular wise, it must travel less than Earth. A range of about 2 cm was allowed for the position of Mars from just above the 3 o'clock position of the diagram. OR if you use Kepler's third law based on the measured radiuses and calculated the period, then the position, then it was accepeted.

The trajectory, had to start from the original position of the Earth, that is already drawn, and finish at the position where Mars was drawn by you. It has to take the shortest route, to allow for use to use gravity, so it went anti-clockwise. The shape of the trajectory has to be an ellipse, as has no power, so the acceleration is based on gravity. This means the orbit cannot go closer to the sun than Earth's orbit or further out than MAr's orbit.

serge

HSC
helper said:
How it was marked:

The time was approximately six months later, so a template was used that centred on the correct position opposite Earth, and gave about a cm leeway.

As the North pole is shown, you were required to have the planets orbiting anti-clockwise.

Based on the knowledge, that Mars has a larger orbit than Earth, then the Period had to be greater than Earth, So angular wise, it must travel less than Earth. A range of about 2 cm was allowed for the position of Mars from just above the 3 o'clock position of the diagram. OR if you use Kepler's third law based on the measured radiuses and calculated the period, then the position, then it was accepeted.

The trajectory, had to start from the original position of the Earth, that is already drawn, and finish at the position where Mars was drawn by you. It has to take the shortest route, to allow for use to use gravity, so it went anti-clockwise. The shape of the trajectory has to be an ellipse, as has no power, so the acceleration is based on gravity. This means the orbit cannot go closer to the sun than Earth's orbit or further out than MAr's orbit.
do you think a spiral at the end (around mars once) would matter?
since for me that shows when the satellite becomes attracted more
to mars then the earth /sun..

i guess there were only a few marks for that question so it wouldnt matter
anyway

Last edited:

helper

HSC
N/A
As long as it didn't leave to early the it would be fine. There was only one mark for trajectory.
There also is an arguement, that in real life the satellite was put into a parking orbit around Earth first.

rama_v

HSC
The markers guide says the path of the satallite must be elliptical with teh sun as one focus of the ellipse

helper

HSC
N/A
True Rama, I was just trying to explain how it was practically marked. I read that statement, twice a night for about two weeks and was fed up with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)