question 9 and 10 (1 Viewer)

joeyassad

HSC
i know its a bit late now, but what is the best way to help prepare for these hard questions?

and what is the best way to attack these questions

Do people actually answer these?

chin music

HSC
N/A
As i said in the other thread i do 9 and 10 last and it works for me. Theyre not really that hard its just they have many steps which means if u screw up one ur gone. And since its at the end of the test its easy to panic.

HSC
N/A
sure...

try to get the first few questions done quickly and properly...then you can spend the next hour on just 9 and 10. you're bound to find some way to solve it in the hour or so...if you still can't tough luck..go back and check your other questions...

but its not that hard to get a band six..
>86/120 last year was a band six (from school; i think its credible)

so don't stress!

joeyassad

HSC
i prefer to leave them to the end, so i can like build up my confidence.. im doin accelerated maths, so ive only got maths to study for... so ive done ALOT of papers.. but those q9 n 10s, some of them i think without the solutions id neva b able to do

I

icycloud

Go into the exam with an open mind. Attempt to think outside the square and try to use innovative methods to solve these problems. This goes for the last couple of questions in 2U, 3U and 4U also. :) Most important of all, enjoy the exam! After all, you only get one shot at the HSC, so have fun while it lasts. :D

chin music

HSC
N/A
Ye i get the same feelings when i see some 9's and 10's but u wouldnt believe how much different it is in the actual test. 10's usually a max or min problem or money maths.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
In all the 1990's papers, Q's 9 and 10 were, as you said, mainly max/min problems or series applications. But in the last few years they seem to have been using all different topics.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Yeah, all of the last couple of questions are always hardest, in MX2, the last 2, Q 7 & 8 are absolutely crazy, soo difficult.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
icycloud said:
Go into the exam with an open mind. Attempt to think outside the square and try to use innovative methods to solve these problems. This goes for the last couple of questions in 2U, 3U and 4U also. :) Most important of all, enjoy the exam! After all, you only get one shot at the HSC, so have fun while it lasts. :D
I couldn't have said it better myself.

DeanM

HSC
question 9 and 10, it really is luck of the draw... sometimes you'd be lucky and get an easier one than the previous yr.. last yr's was pretty difficult so maybe this yr's wont be, but then again, many people thought that 2004 q 6, 7,8 were hard...
but there is a pattern that develops, for example, you look at 2001(i think) the money problem was question 10, and very difficult, there hasnt been a difficult question of money since..THEN you look at the probability from 2000-2004.. all VERY VERY easy, however last yr, the question was alot more difficult than ' i flip a coin, probability of heads is?' so i belive that this yr's question on money will be q 9 or 10, and as it follows the probability will be very easy...
but thats just how i think about it.. we'll all know soon

Riviet

HSC
N/A
joeyassad said:
what is the best way to help prepare for these hard questions?
Keep doing lots of past papers of those last 2 questions, if you can get hold of them, do like 1980 onwards lol, that's like 24 of each question.

rama_v

HSC
You should aim to complete questions 1-8 within 1 hour 30 minutes (maybe 1 hour 45 minutes) so u can leave 1 hour for the last two questions and half an hour for checking, if possible.

Ghost1788

HSC
when you get to the questions take note of the mark value...

-Attempt the question..
Usually just writing down what first comes to mind after reading the question helps or doing what ever comes to mind..ie. change the form..simplify...

If its worth 2- 4 marks and you still cant figure it out...forget it....go back through the paper and check your answers..do them again if you have to to check...chances are that you may be able to easily find 2- 4 marks minimum stupid mistakes...

personally i rather save the stupid mistakes than come out of the exam knowing I had done some stupid mistakes (inevidable) and i lost 4 marks cause i had no idea on how to attempt a question.

-Ghost

rama_v

HSC
Just to add to what Ghost said

If the last question asks to differentiate a very large expression ( for example question 10 in 2002, 2003), and it involves numerous fractions then do not attempt to simplify the expression first by finding a common denominator. Differentiate it first, then simplify. For example, its much easier to differentiate:

y = (2/3)x + 4[(x+1)2 + 5]/3x if you do not cross multiply first and then attempt to differentiate

DeanM

HSC
yea im with rama... i can do questions 1-5 easily within the first hour, that leaves 2 hours to do the others... prob about 30-45 for q 6, 7, 8.. then over an hour to spend on question 9 and 10... if i cant complete EVERYTHING in q10, ill do what i can, then go over and check the entrie test agian, having around 30 mins to do so...

Touchstone

HSC
If it's one of those questions where you just go...shit. Don't give up, confidence is the key. Quickly run through every topic you've learnt and ask yourself what they want you to use, what the markers are testing you on. In our trial, we had a circle question in Q10, my immediate reaction was that it involved L=r(~) or the area equation. I spent so long trying to figure it out using those that I didn't realise that it involved the Cosine rule... It was a pretty easy question once you realised what they were testing. So just look at all the information given to you and try to realise what it is you have learnt that could be applied to the question. Best of luck tomorrow, and anyone reading this (hypocritical yes, but i'm about to): GO STUDY.

HSC
For those massive factorisations would it be smart to start substituting values in to get a simpler expression, then take care of the differentiation outside of the equation ?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)