Question About Critical Study (1 Viewer)

gh0stface

HSC
hi, im so confused about this module, i do wuthering heights, but i think people who do other texts can help me.

Well firstly, i understand for this module that your suppose to do different readings like psychoanalytical, feminist etc... But my teacher also said you have to do personal response, she keeps emphasising that your own personal response is the most important.

like. what are u suppose to write about for a personal response? the things that appeal to me? like certain themes and how its emphasised?

but then how do you structure your essay?

like this?

intro
body
-personal reading
-other reading
-conclusion

or do you integrate other aspects of other readings present in your own??

also, do you have to talk about context within the different readings (including your own), how do u relate context to readings? and do you have to talk about bronte's context?

thanks.

N

Nicola1616

I wrote this to someone about 'Cloudstreet' but it's the same module so I hope it helps a bit:

First thing to say is that your 'personal interpretation' is critical to the whole unit – one of the most central aspects and it is totally different from the other literary perspectives you have mentioned. I really understand your confusion though and I think it's really common. The whole idea can seem so overwhelming cause you learn about these complex critical theories and then you have this panicked idea that you have to devise your own heaps cool critical theory called 'Studentism' or something! Then it's terrifying the prospect of starting an essay: “According to my personal persepctive ...” and trying to say something that hasn't been said! First just have a read of the following which shows how critical your interpretation is!

This is from a support doc for teachers from the BOS:

“Misplaced emphasis (on critical interpretations like those you have listed) may lead students to rely on the views of others, rather than developing their own informed view. Exploring the perspectives of others and discussion and evaluation of how the prescribed text has been received in different contxts should enhance rather than overshadow a student's personal engagement with and close analysis of the prescribed text.”

The key idea I think is context, which again is central to any discussion in this module. Apart from recognising that the novel was written in a particular context, if you think about those other 'perspectives' they are just examples for you to explore that prove (if you like) that viewing something from a different context will give you a makedly different view. This covers the requirement that you study: “....the contexts of others who have responded to the text and the social and historical circumstances which influence responses.” But you do have a unique and valid position yourself. You have a context too; social, historical, cultural, and that informs your first impression of the text. Looking at other perspectives (by the way the support doc. states that other valid sources include the perspectives of teachers and other students) is just a way of testing and refining, challenging and validating aspects of your own response.

Obviously, because it is deemed a 'significant text' your personal persepctive can't be: “I thought it was a crap book and they all have dicky names” - so if you hated it you'll have to fake it but I'm sure you teacher encouraged you to love it. He's an amazing writer isn't he and Australian! But – you do start with your own unique idea of what you liked, why?, what you thought mattered and why, what moved you and why and what you didn't get. Then you start to look at what others have to say and you're like: “Well, I never got that when I read it, that part didn't leap out at me but I can see that if you were coming from that persepctive (feminist say) that what he/she said/did there (or whatever) is really important (and as a prelude to textual integrity: “I know it's important because of the way the composer conveyed it” but that's later).

Tim Winton has said about writing: “It's sort of a mystery to me but, you know, the process of writing is, you know, it's mysterious and the way things are receivd by people I guess, you know, is equally a mystery.” I think this is good cause it validates that the way you see it – matters. Having said all that you're not hoping for earth shattering stuff about Cloudstreet that no one else has ever heard of it's just you're a bit of a magpie, taking stuff from everywhere to develop and strenghten you idea about what matters. When you start an essay you don't need to literally acknowledge the whole way through that you are giving your own personal response unless that is explicitly asked for. So you don't necessarily have to talk in the first person the whole time: “I think that ..”. It's just that you show the depth of your understanding from the way you write. I would acknowledge if you are discussing something from the point of view of Post-Colonialism or something though.

If you had to answer something about a personal persepctive it would be better to just keep it in the third person and say how such a great book evokes responses:

“Tim Winton's 1991 novel, Cloudstreet, is a humourous, sprawling saga full of tragedy and miracles woven with unbreakable threads of family, of love and acceptance. Such a rich exploration of the wonderous yet commonplace lives of ordinary people evokes a response on many levels, spiritual, emotional and intellectual. In his distinctively genuine, poetic voice, Winton tenderly guides the responder to a conclusion which is life-affirming and uplifting and offers some sense of reconciliation to us all.”

Now I'm not saying that's good and I totally stole the bit in italics but it's just to give you an idea that you can say a novel evokes a personal response/perspective/viewpoint without having to spell it out. Obviously a question would guide you to more specifics but just say the stuff you think with conviction and evidence! And then add it bits from other persepctives that suit what you want to say. Last thing on this – if the question is a thesis statement about a particular critical persepctive you argue for that particular standpoint and give evidence to support it's validity but also argue it's worth from your viewpoint.

gh0stface

HSC
ok i sorta get the idea now.

So the reponse will be based around your own personal response/reading.

but im still sorta lost of what the your own reading is, like what aspects of the texts do u have to discuss? themes, charactres, plot and the way its emphasised and how the modern context informs you of it?

and, how do you incorporate other readings into your response, im assuming that you dont do your own reading seperate from it.

would this structuring work (found it from another thread in this section)?

[FONT=&quot]
Topic Sentence - Make sure to include question's key words here.
Context - A very brief overview of the scene chosen.
Quote/Ref - Use a quote from the book here - remember, you still have to display thorough knowledge of the text by Shakespeare, not just its modern interpretations.
Language - Analyse the quote's language devices used by Shakespeare.
Director's Reading - Here is where you need to specifically analyse how the director has constructed that part of the scene or shot, in order to highlight the values in the play they want to bring out with their reading.
Textual Integrity - Make sure you state how that specific scene contributes to the play's meaning as a whole. e.g. Exposes Lear's folly which leads him on a path of tragic decisions leading to his abuse of regal powers. (this is a rough sentence)
Audience Response - Give an overview of the audience's response to that particular scene. e.g. Sympathy of the pain endured by Lear as he come's to terms with his tragic flaws (storm Scene).
Closing sentence - Make sure you keep nailing in the question's key words here to make sure you marker knows you're directly addressing the question.

[/FONT]

danz90

HSC
gh0stface said:
ok i sorta get the idea now.

So the reponse will be based around your own personal response/reading.

but im still sorta lost of what the your own reading is, like what aspects of the texts do u have to discuss? themes, charactres, plot and the way its emphasised and how the modern context informs you of it?

and, how do you incorporate other readings into your response, im assuming that you dont do your own reading seperate from it.

would this structuring work (found it from another thread in this section)?

[FONT=&quot]
Topic Sentence - Make sure to include question's key words here.
Context - A very brief overview of the scene chosen.
Quote/Ref - Use a quote from the book here - remember, you still have to display thorough knowledge of the text by Shakespeare, not just its modern interpretations.
Language - Analyse the quote's language devices used by Shakespeare.
Director's Reading - Here is where you need to specifically analyse how the director has constructed that part of the scene or shot, in order to highlight the values in the play they want to bring out with their reading.
Textual Integrity - Make sure you state how that specific scene contributes to the play's meaning as a whole. e.g. Exposes Lear's folly which leads him on a path of tragic decisions leading to his abuse of regal powers. (this is a rough sentence)
Audience Response - Give an overview of the audience's response to that particular scene. e.g. Sympathy of the pain endured by Lear as he come's to terms with his tragic flaws (storm Scene).
Closing sentence - Make sure you keep nailing in the question's key words here to make sure you marker knows you're directly addressing the question.

[/FONT]
I wrote that I think.. well yeah I use that for my King Lear responses... and pulled a 19/20 for my Module B Assessment In class essay, and 18.5/20 in my trial for module b response. So I guess it works..

N

Nicola1616

It sounds like you are trying to work in a sort of vaccum which especially with Lear can do your head in! There is too much to try and constuct something that will in a fool-proof way address everything. This may sound too obvious but this is all rescued by the mystical gift of the thesis. I hope I'm not telling you stuff that you already know but its just that sometimes the 'thesis' just becomes another bloody thing that has to go in an essay, like a reference to textual integrity and context. But I think that without one, you are stuck with piles and piles of great stuff on Lear (cause there is plenty of it) and no idea what to do with it, how to organise it, how to make sense of it. It's like you are preparing for a question like: "Write about King Lear". You have got to narrow down your thoughts and your writing. Try:

"Ultimately, in this Shakespearian drama, it is the representation of intense human relationships that captivates audiences.
Explore the representation of at least one intense human relationship in the Tragedy of King Lear, evaluating its significance in the play as a whole."

Start with analysing the question. Even the first word 'ultimately' which means 'in the end' or 'when all is said and done' is a clue to a good intro (which you could mould into many different essays). You could make some grand statement about the other things which are said to captivate audiences: universal themes, bleak dark apocalyptic vision blah blah (leave that stuff for another essay or page of work) and then go to "however, ultimately, in the end, at its core, when all else is stripped away, its very essence - blah" There is a suggestion here that 'context' has given rise to many different readings of Lear over the centuries but that 'ultimately' it is the relationships between characters that makes the play so compelling and so enduring.

When trying to answer a question like this its a great one for a personal response because you don't need to say "Well, I reckon its about ..." The whole essay requires you to approach it from that angle. Obviously it would be unwise, unless you felt very strongly and had great support, to argue against this statement so why don't you take one relationship and write a page. Think about what you want to say and which relationship you want to analyse and refer to other readings to support or broaden your arguement.

Just to start you thinking about how a personal response might start (and this is totally my humble view only) I actually think that Lear is an enigma without the intensity of both love and hate he inspires in others. He is the only Shakespearian hero without his own soliloquy and he's freakin crazy for most of the play so how do we engage with no only him but his struggle? Kent is critical here, just as an example cause I don' t want to crap on at you, but through him we get the reflection of a Lear from times past - noble, honourable and just. I mean he inspires such 'intense' loyalty from Kent (Fool and Cordelia too) that he almost conjures a vision of a magnificent monarch for us. Then you could look at the hate he inspires also look at the pompous spectacle of the 'love test' - the first scene tells us that he has already made his decision so this is arrogance and conceit to the max - and its cruel too. Anyway - that is the sort of stuff to think about. Then you need to support it with quotes (remember stuff like changes from prose to blank verse, asides, stage direction etc cause its a performance text) And then you can make reference to some other readings and how they may respond to this thesis.
What about a nihilistic reading that might focus on more cosmic elements?
What about a psychological reading - this might support much of your own argument
What about a feminist perspective - perhaps they may see the intense relationships as important (captivating?) but because of what they represent about a broader political (gender) arena.
Hope this helps - sorry its so rambly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)