Question about CSSA Modern History... (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
just because I'm confusing myself, please clarify.. ARE THE TWO QUESTIONS ALWAYS BASED ON TWO SEPARATE SYLLABUS POINTS,

or is it possible the second one could just ask to expand on the first with reference to a quote.

You can't make that conclusion as the first could ask for an outline of their entire life.

Make sure that if there is something in Part a that you also want to use in Part b you do need to refer to it in both sections.

The second will be asking for a more in depth assessment of the personality with close reference to the quote.

Both sections can refer to mulitple dot points as well.

You will need to know the personality and be able to apply that knowledge.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So, if I use a topic sentence in each paragraph referencing the statement and thats it, but then explain that with events related to my personality, I'm good?

Advanced english and I suck at integrating the actual questions. fk

No - a topic sentence won't do it - you need to be actually using the quote and the question throughout the essay and through the paragraphs - a topic sentence tacked on at the beginning of a paragraph is just that and it stands out a mile - integration of the quote and your evidence from your personality in relation to the question is needed for high marks here. This is a high order thinking question.

When the parameters are set for this question is is pretty well assumed that a Band 4 student could access the top 9/10 range in part a but in part b only the band 6 students would be getting into the 13+ range. Band 4 students are pretty average so it stands to reason that anyone who aims for an above average response will be integrating their knowledge with the quote to answer the question.

From my years of marking it the top range responses are very sophisticated in the use of historiography, the integration of the quote, addressing the question asked and a solid knowledge of the topic - missing one of those and you will take yourself out of the very top band.

If you look down to the personalities section here you will find a general description of how students coped last year across a range of the personalities - well worth reading the comments about part b for all the personalities - and you will see time and again the same sorts of comments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)