Question about Medicine acceptance... (1 Viewer)

pandaaMONIA

HSC
Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I'd take it out, they aren't supposed to judge you on matters like that, but the individuals interviewing you may have unintential bias against you as a result.

Some people in my med course that have tattoo's on their arms and wrists, etc but they covered them up for the interview.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Silly question really,

But just say (hypothetically), someone got an interview for Medicine at UNSW. the person had an eyebrow piercing and a lip piercing

(e.g: http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/gallery/data/507/medium/DSC06718.JPG)

Would those piercings affect the marks in an interview, or access to that particular medicine course in any way?

Thankyou :)

Edit: better example: (http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/gallery/data/507/medium/DSC03613.JPG)
A friend of mine got into unsw med despite the fact that he looks like a gangster and has a criminal record.... (Mind you, he had a mid-99 UAI and a lot of accomplishments).

He did fail the first time around to get in (because of UMAT) but succeeded last year so in the end, he is where he wants to be.

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
A friend of mine got into unsw med despite the fact that he looks like a gangster and has a criminal record.... (Mind you, he had a mid-99 UAI and a lot of accomplishments).

He did fail the first time around to get in (because of UMAT) but succeeded last year so in the end, he is where he wants to be.
wow, i thought you weren't accepted if you had a criminal record!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
It depends on the severity of the criminal record/charges, etc. If you have one and you are accepted it is usually forwarded to the NSW Medical Board to determine if they should set any restrictions, etc.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
wow, i thought you weren't accepted if you had a criminal record!
you can be accepted depending on the record, youth records sometimes dont come up on criminal records if they arent too bad. however if you commit a crime (i.e assault and any thing like that which could can be deemed 'unsavoury for a doctor') after 18 you are looking at fronting up to the medical board (who are usually former judges) and give a 'please explain'.

There is one other catch for med/dent/psychology/nursing is that "professional conduct" can include multiple (more than 10+ and unpaid) minor offences e.g. low range drink driving, parking/speeding fines, etc.

suspension can also occur which has been as petty as forgetting to re-register yearly.

depends on the mood they are in and how much fault you admit.

about tattoos and piercings: they do not affect you ability as a medical practitioner as such it is just for the show. there is a level of expectation from your patients and if you look like a identikit photo of a rapist, people dont generally let you examine them ... even in prisons.
A clown without make-up is just a mute with balloons and a smile.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)