Question about Pop Culture Focus Studies (1 Viewer)

nelsoni

HSC
I was wondering If anyone knew for sure what isn't considered to be an appropriate Pop Culture Focus Study.

In class, I've studied McDonalds and Barbie as Popular Cultures, and for an
Assessment I chose to focus of U2 as a popular culture, which seemed alright to me, and I could easily account for them all being examples of Popular Culture. However, after going to this SAC study day, I was told your Popular Culture Focus study has to be a genre of music, sport or film, and can't be an specific product.
So I was wondering if that means when I talk about U2, I have to refer to them as part of the Popular culture of Rock music?
And can I use McDonalds at all?

teach77

HSC
N/A
U2, while massive and having been around for a long time, doesn't really qualify as a Pop focus study - it's not a Pop culture, it's a band. McDonalds and Barbie are fine, even though some Pop markers may not like them personally they are accepted Pop cultures and they have been done many times before so there'll be a lot less resistance if you use those examples. You would be MUCH better off using McDonalds or Barbie (and Barbie is probably a better choice of the two) than using U2.

THEweirdness

HSC
U2, while massive and having been around for a long time, doesn't really qualify as a Pop focus study - it's not a Pop culture, it's a band. McDonalds and Barbie are fine, even though some Pop markers may not like them personally they are accepted Pop cultures and they have been done many times before so there'll be a lot less resistance if you use those examples. You would be MUCH better off using McDonalds or Barbie (and Barbie is probably a better choice of the two) than using U2.
um, bands actually ARE considered as popular cultures. for example, the spice girls were huge in their time. a website i used when using them as my asignment topic actually stated that they were a popular culture. so U2 is a popular culture.

THEweirdness

HSC
Yeah I thought that might be the case
in class we focused on rock n roll music and the development of television. try this site:
HSC Online
it will take you directly to the popular culture section, showing examples of popular culture.
enjoy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)