• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Question about PVC/Polyethylene (1 Viewer)

HSC
I was curious, what advantage does PVC hold over polyethylene? i mean pure PVC is hard and brittle, and only with additives does it loose its brittle attribute, its basically identical to PE

any real differences that additives dont bridge the gap of?

tennille

HSC
PVC isn't weather-resistant, so it is used in underground pipes, whereas HDPE is resistant to chemicals and corrosion. I can't really find any info on it. I have a feeling that other differences will relate to the bonding. From what I remember, it has something to do with the Cl which has a higher molecular weight. If you have the conquering chemistry textbook, it's all in there. If not, borrow it from a library.

HSC
I got a conquering chemistry yeh, im assuming this higher molecular weight can proove useful!?

ill go look it up again i guess, i found that book really advances, plus the one i have is 2001 edition (not revised nov. 2003 syllabus)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
PVC should generally be stronger than PE even HDPE, as it has Cl as a side group rather than H... this gives it greater polarisability, hence stronger intermolecular dispersion forces, hence stronger than HDPE...

however, C-Cl bond is susceptible to uv radiation, hence will deteriorate in sun light without addictive...

that being said, it really depend on context where u want to use plastic... say u don't want to use PE to manufacturing ur plastic ruler say for eg, as it would be quite soft and un-usable...

similar reason u won't use PVC to make plastic carrying bag or glad wrap...

HSC
hmmm so i can only really rule out greater hardness due to increased intermolecular forces

well thanks :D ill probably go researchit a little bit further, i rpobably wont be asked but at least i get an understanding, i find its much easier to remember a topic if you know excess about it, because it then connects together perfectly

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
remember that chlorine is very electronegative (electronegativity from year 11) = hence it attracts electrons more than most other atoms, stronger bonds... maybe that helps?

HSC
i was thinking about that but hydrogen bonds came across my mind and since the Cl is attached to carbon attom i dismissed it, maybe it still creates stronger intermolecular bonds with carbon, no idea what

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
Hey i was checking through my notes when studying this morning -

My notes say that PVC is stiff due to the LARGE Cl groups, so there... more info!

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Wow, right after reading this thread, I open the written section of the 2002 Catholic Trials paper, and the first question is on PVC. :eek:

A

adamsaclown

err I know this is kind of an old thread, but PVC is also more flame-resistant (harder to ignite and won't continue to burn as easily) due to the Chlorine.

ewesijok

HSC
Yes Adam, You are completely correct.
It's a shame you are a complete
FUCKWIT!

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
ewesijok said:
Yes Adam, You are completely correct.
It's a shame you are a complete
FUCKWIT!
What the fuck?

You rude, intolerable git.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
What the fuck?

You rude, intolerable git.
Look on the bright side dreamy, you just found one fiesty chick for your lonely friend :p

Kids these days '-__-

Anyway, contrary to Casmira's original question, I thought PVC's pretty bad :confused: So why look for the advantage of PE over PVC? *even more confused*

You HSCers might want to check this out:

http://www.besafenet.com/PVCDisposalReport_2-Column_R6.pdf

I found that amusing somehow ^^

Omg.. This thread is ancient.. Some people do have the tendency to look for fights...

HSC
well i mean why would you bother performing an chlorination reaction of ethylene to form chloroethane, then addition polymerisation polyvinyl chloride if it has the same "properties" of PE, if you can make PE alot easier (just chain up polyethylene)

as far as i know HDPE and PVC have same heating properties, hell PVC is worse because it release hydrochloride gas when you burn it (in pure form at least)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
standup said:
PVC is a very rigid polymer as large chlorine side groups restrict its flexibility???
Technically, chain-stiffening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)