Question about "related material assessment task" (1 Viewer)

55psi

HSC
guys, the question says 'type a summary of each text addressing the purpose and audience '

Now for the purpose, do you write the reason why the writer wrote it?
And for the audience, do you write who would be the audience for this particular material (which is pretty stupid cause it can be neone, but i might be missing something) or would it be to explain to the audience what the writer is trying to express?

Cheers
Jason

Last edited:

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
55psi said:
guys, the question says 'type a summary of each text addressing the purpose and audience '

Now for the purpose, do you write the reason why the writer wrote it?
And for the audience, do you write who would be the audience for this particular material (which is pretty stupid cause it can be neone, but i might be missing something) or would it be to explain to the audience what the writer is trying to express?

Cheers
Jason
a summary would encompass what the text type is, what content it has, generally, and how it relates to the purpose and audience. for example, a text may be a travel brochure. because of all those flashy, big font art words and flashy pictures, its PURPOSE therefore, is to entice or persuade the TARGET audience to consider going on the tour advertised on the brochure. THUS, the TARGET AUDIENCE, the group of people that would have MOST EFFECT or has most SWAY with, are, potential tourists, people who want overseas holidays. SO, when you consider the PURPOSE and AUDIENCE, show the extent to which the TECHNIQUES of a text addresses and fulfills the text's PURPOSE, by relating to its EFFECT on the AUDIENCE.

yes, its a bit of a mouthful, take what you want from it Jason.

Cheers,
AKA Mountain.Dew :p

55psi

HSC
mmm... Anyone else?
Mountain Dew, thats just starting to sound a bit like business :p. Theres bit of a diference from the way i see it.
To make things a little clearer, the text im talking about is a song lyric. For example, would i say: The songwriters purpose of this song is to express his feelings through songwriting. (which is pretty much wots happening and the person seems to be in depression).
and for the audience would i say: the songwriter is telling a story about his life and so on....

In this question, it doesnt say TARGET audience, it just says audience and this can be seen as the target audience or EXPLAIN to the audience.
But when i do explain to the audience, i may start to retell the plot which isnt a very good thing to do in these sorts of tasks... hmm

Thats the thing i need to know

Last edited:

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
55psi said:
In this question, it doesnt say TARGET audience, it just says audience and this can be seen as the target audience or EXPLAIN to the audience.
But when i do explain to the audience, i may start to retell the plot which isnt a very good thing to do in these sorts of tasks... hmm

Thats the thing i need to know
these sort of questions are really good to nut out some ideas. i could tell you what your teacher is getting at but ill give you a few hints instead...

1. what sort of imaginative, intellectual or emotional engagement does the text force upon its reader?
2. in what way is an audiences imaginative engagement in the text a valuable thing. does it allow heightened awareness or perception? why?
3. HOW does the text force this sort of imaginative engagement in the themes/ideas in the text from the audience. does the use of dark imagery convey something about depression. Do the words make us imagine a person/a situation to empathise with?
4. why is audience relevent AOS [ok ill answer this one]
-mostly becasue the audiences IMAGINATIVE engagement or teansformation is integral to the text being considered an imaginative journey. they MUST engage imaginatively with the stimulus that the lyrics provide to result in some heightened perception, changed perspective or new knowledge. We can just be passive observers and hope to gain insight from others works but we must instead draw on our own imagination to give it meaning and value.

all that aside. to talk about the audience you need to discuss in AOS
-you thesis
-how it relates to the related text you have chosen
-HOW the related text conveys ideas to the audience which support this thesis

'text x draws upon depressed and muted imagery to convey to its audience the sense of isolation and despair that comes with depression. Through the montage of imagery the composer is able to convey a very complex emotional state to the audience which is able to draw on the connotations of the images to gain some heightened understanding' <--sorry this is a bit repetitive/unco but i dont know what the text your using is like and im trying to give you an example

remember
TEEL [technique, example, effect and link] the effect part relating to the effect on you as a reader and audience. if the text has effected you than it has done the job its creater intended

i hope this is a bit clearer

Mercedes

EDIT; AOS=area of study

Last edited:

55psi

HSC
mercedes thankyou, ur a champ. That helped! But what does AOS stand for?

Last edited:
HSC
Haha area of study, honey. School must have gone downhill since i left if they didn't mention that. Hey Jas :D I remember that assignment, same questions too i think...good times.

Here's a few bits from mine i dug up re: audience -
Painting:
"The text's audience would consist of predominantly adults with a mature, perhaps broade, understanding of or interest in conceptual art. To construct personal meaning, they would also possess a mentality willing to receive surreal imagery and discern through their mind's journey seemingly cryptic knowledge within the artwork."
Song:
"...the most suitable intended audience being those confronting a similar occurence in their life where inner discovery through the sorrow of losing loved ones is a prevalent notion."
Poem:
"An open-minded audience with a certain admiration for romanticism would be most suitably intended...with a desire to explore philosophies regarding the perpetual journey of immortality and human condition as a curse of decaying existence..."

We were told that the purpose of the summary is to get out a who, what and why introduction. Linking the purpose and whatnot with 'imaginative journeys' (not specifically using those words if you didn't want to) is ideal of course. Plus, you find yourself talking about imaginative journeys unknowingly anway. You'll find it hard to cut down to the word limit in that section (and the whole thing, i found), so don't get too bogged down with long winded answers when you can be succint and make a good point at the same time (if not better)...

Any more help needed, no probs!

P.S you said you'd call *cries* :p

55psi

HSC
lol leila leila leila, who wouldve thought u replied to my thread hey... What do u mean id promise id call, never promised nething :confused:? :p sif id call u!

HSC
55psi said:
lol leila leila leila, who wouldve thought u replied to my thread hey... What do u mean id promise id call, never promised nething :confused:? :p sif id call u!
As if she'd want you to call her.

Mountain dew was right mate.

$10 when you work out who this is, Po! :wave:

HSC
highvoltageacdc said:
As if she'd want you to call her.

$10 when you work out who this is, Po! :wave:
Hey, Jason is hotter than you ok, so shh.

$10 when you call me, Po :p

Anyway, you've probably got all your texts for the assignment, but I recommend 'eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' (the jim carrey film). The ac/dc boy won't listen to me, but it would be really good to use - all about discovery of the self through memory and appreciating reality through his I/J. Even if you don't, keep it in mind for later in the year maybe. Fisher would be marking probably and would love you if you used it at some point :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)