Question about studying (1 Viewer)

rrlm910

HSC
Hey guys, I've just been doing 2-3 past papers a day (different subjects) lately. But the thing is if I don't get an answer in my head within the next 5 minutes, I straight away go to notes (doing past papers). Even though I feel like I'm learning, do you think I shouldn't do this? (looking at notes while doing past papers).

Tbh I haven't even done notes myself for eco and ipt I just got it off BOS forums, but I have done them for physics :/. I tried to do my own since preparing for trials but Im such a slow writer I gave up last week because I ran out of time.

Could anyone suggest what I should do from now in preparation for HSC? I guess im rushing everything pretty hard now because I was so lazy throughout the year :(.

unknown88

HSC
N/A
Whatever you do don't cheat while doing past papers, there is no point in getting the mark then. Memorise/learn your notes then go ahead with past papers once you think your comfortable with most of the knowledge. Also you don't have to wright your notes, if you downloaded them thats fine, all that matters is that it goes in your head lol. First thing you should do is just read each subject of notes twice over or three times and talk to yourself in the mirror. As weird as that method is it helps you memorise. Hope that helps. :)

jessxxr

HSC
i think its fine that you're referring back to your notes if you're not completely sure with the question. When i do past papers, at first i always use my notes to write up the practice answers because how else are we suppose to learn how to put the content in context, and this means we learn from what we might be unsure of, and then once you've done enough practice answers using notes and feel comfortable with the content, i think you should then focus on doing them without :)

edit: haha on second thoughts, don't listen to this, my bad study habits are coming through!!!

Last edited:

unknown88

HSC
N/A
i think its fine that you're referring back to your notes if you're not completely sure with the question. When i do past papers, at first i always use my notes to write up the practice answers because how else are we suppose to learn how to put the content in context, and this means we learn from what we might be unsure of, and then once you've done enough practice answers using notes and feel comfortable with the content, i think you should then focus on doing them without :)
If you don't know the answer, leave it. How is cheating going to help? Do a past paper with no cheating at all look at your mark and doesn't matter how good or bad it is, you will improve. For answers you get wrong look at succes one answers, marking centre guidelines etc.

jessxxr

HSC
If you don't know the answer, leave it. How is cheating going to help? Do a past paper with no cheating at all look at your mark and doesn't matter how good or bad it is, you will improve. For answers you get wrong look at succes one answers, marking centre guidelines etc.
everyone has different methods of learning their stuff best, personally this is what works for me :)

rrlm910

HSC
But then, if I dont know the answer, wouldn't I be checking it with notes or answers at the end anyway? So would checking it when I don't get the question be any different :S? I just get so frustrated if I don't know and skip it haha :/

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
This, you have to put yourself under pressure, to get an accurate result. And the more you put yourself under pressure the more relaxed you'll feel on the day, because you've done them so many times under the same conditions and therefore have nothing to freak over about. Then go back and check questions you're not sure of.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
But then, if I dont know the answer, wouldn't I be checking it with notes or answers at the end anyway? So would checking it when I don't get the question be any different :S? I just get so frustrated if I don't know and skip it haha :/
Yeah I know what you mean. It's annoying. But you should be able to answer most qs, Go over your notes before you attempt to do a past paper. It should help to an extent.

jessxxr

HSC
This, you have to put yourself under pressure, to get an accurate result. And the more you put yourself under pressure the more relaxed you'll feel on the day, because you've done them so many times under the same conditions and therefore have nothing to freak over about. Then go back and check questions you're not sure of.
whenever i do a past paper, its just not the same pressure as the actual thing, like i can't get myself into that mindset and time limit to answer, i'm just too calm and content, because i know its not the real thing, how do you guys get into that exam state of mind?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
whenever i do a past paper, its just not the same pressure as the actual thing, like i can't get myself into that mindset and time limit to answer, i'm just too calm and content, because i know its not the real thing, how do you guys get into that exam state of mind?
I usually time myself, and work off that. Knowing that I have a time limit forces me to keep up with time.

rrlm910

HSC
same as jessxr, I can't get myself into that mindset :(.
I'll try reading notes beforehand and do the whole thing without, but sigh I just feel dumb if I do bad, but i guess there still is plenty of time for improvement.

Never really had an idea on how to study because I just crammed at max a week before tests up until now :/. How do you guys prepare for essays for english/eco?

unknown88

HSC
N/A
See how good you are without notes, see what your mark is. Then read your notes do another past paper, see your mark. etc etc. If you keep cheating in practice papers it is going to form a habit, when in the HSC you will think l'm going to look at my notes. You have to find questions which your bad at, topics/syllabus points which aren't your strength.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
See how good you are without notes, see what your mark is. Then read your notes do another past paper, see your mark. etc etc. If you keep cheating in practice papers it is going to form a habit, when in the HSC you will think l'm going to look at my notes. You have to find questions which your bad at, topics/syllabus points which aren't your strength.
^ That.

You force yourself to think when you don't have those notes and you could recall something you remembered reading - but because you physically can't get those notes, you force your mind to work. And that's what you want.

jessxxr

HSC
lol im just gonna edit out my post since im pretty sure my advice is shit and wont get you the best results, haha sorry OP, im sure these guys know what they're talking about :)

Last edited:

rrlm910

HSC
No jess yours was also helpful thanks :), and thanks everyone for their advices!
Time to just stop worrying and put my head onto it! Come on 90 Atar! :)

jessxxr

HSC
No jess yours was also helpful thanks :), and thanks everyone for their advices!
Time to just stop worrying and put my head onto it! Come on 90 Atar! :)
haha well thank you! and awww i wanna get an atar of around 90 too, hopefully 93, *fingers crossed for us*!!

herbs1

HSC
you guys are tards...ofc look at your notes if you don't know the answer. How is not answering a question strictly better than checking your notes then answering it?

unknown88

HSC
N/A
you guys are tards...ofc look at your notes if you don't know the answer. How is not answering a question strictly better than checking your notes then answering it?
Tards? Read what l posted earlier and it has been confirmed by Shadowdude a 2010 hsc'er who got 90 + and another boser with a ATAR prediction of 88.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
imo, answer the question strictly after you've done it in exam conditions with no help - and so you can compare what a 10/10 answer is to whatever you got. That's a better way to go, in my view.

rrlm910

HSC
So pretty much,
1. do past paper without notes under exam conditions
2. answer questions that i havent done with notes after
3. then check answers from solution?

should I be doing this? or skip the 2nd part

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)