Question about subjects (1 Viewer)

ShirLz

-wm [/B][/QUOTE]
Originally posted by wallmonger
Thanks for all the replies people
It helped, and now I'm pretty sure I'm dropping gen.maths
I'm not a maths person

I was looking through a UAC book and it seemed as though like 90% of courses have maths under "assumed knowledge" :uhoh:

would anyone be able to give me a bit of an idea what sort of course isn't maths-based or doesnt use maths to a great extent

courses more english-based, maybe

anyone?

-wm

There's actually a lot out there..lookin at your english, i'd say u're pretty good at it..so how bout a more humanities focus like media n communications, law w/ arts..also remember, assumed knowledge just means it would b good if u know it, n its not a requirement...

the first thing your lecturer will tell u at uni is to forget everything u learnt durin yr 12 n indeed high sch., so to some extent, if you undersatnd the concepts within your course, u'll b fine, provided of course u don't do something where maths is like really importnat, eg. engineering or medicine, etc.

can I just make a point................ anyone who wanted to do a Uni course with a maths component would obviously have and interest and ability in maths and would more than likely NOT be doing the general course (which is really just a course for people who want to have maths written on their HSC)
yr 11, i intend to do an economics and laws degree at uni...however like some ppl, i loathe maths, which is y i chose the general course for my hsc...even though i aced it, i still didn't like it, n while capable of 3u maths, i just didn't want to do it - hence, i would not make assumptions about ppl's abilities based on the level of their mathematics course.

i dropped maths completely in yr 12, n took up english ext 2...n while maths is assumed knowledge for economics, doesn't mean that i'm disadvantaged. Economics has mathematical concepts - n thought i didn't do maths - i did excellent in economics. And in univrsity, u can choose your electives for a course, so if you're doing a degree which has an assumed knowledge of maths, u can actually choose electives which have a non - maths focus. for instance, at the university of sydney, you can now do an economics degree with more of a social science or humantirian focus rather than maths..so rather than doing econometrics, u can choose the elective of international relations or sthg...

take a look in to degrees that interest you and what options u have within those degrees, n if u think that maths isn't important for u, then drop it by all means..good luck either way:)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I was making a general statement not a sweeping one. Generally speaking, the people who are good at maths AND enjoy it do 2,3 & 4 unit, and they are the ones more likely to have a career that involves mathematics than someone who strugggled through general maths because they had no interest in it.
If you arent interested in gen maths, drop it. It will give you more time to concentrate on the subjects that will get you your marks, and you will be much happier for it (if you are doing a subject you don't like you generally pay less attention and are less enthusiastic about it and so your marks, as well as your marks for your other courses will suffer)

Rosie

Originally posted by YEAR11
I was making a general statement not a sweeping one. Generally speaking, the people who are good at maths AND enjoy it do 2,3 & 4 unit, and they are the ones more likely to have a career that involves mathematics than someone who strugggled through general maths because they had no interest in it.
If you arent interested in gen maths, drop it. It will give you more time to concentrate on the subjects that will get you your marks, and you will be much happier for it (if you are doing a subject you don't like you generally pay less attention and are less enthusiastic about it and so your marks, as well as your marks for your other courses will suffer)
I did maths coz i needed to do it to become a teacher and i totally hated it but that didn't mean that my other subjects suffered...if anything it mean't that i spent more time on them therefore passing really well in them and not stressing about maths. But atleast i did maths so now i can get into the course i wanted...which by the way has no maths in it at the general maths level and i did 12 units so i could stuff one up, i.e maths!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
yeah maths at HSC level is a department of education requirement not a uni one.
But thats only for primary, you don't need any maths for secondary

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
thanks again everyone

Now it seems that they may not let me drop maths, it's kind of a big deal that i do extension english and i need a note from home, talk to the english coordinator, talk to my english teacher etc...

:mad: I may have to keep maths yet, unless the english coordinator decides I'm doing well enough

-wm

Rosie

To get a bachelor of early childhood education u need atleast 2 units of maths...hence general maths. And thats only to teach babies - 8 years.

Rosie

Originally posted by wallmonger
thanks again everyone

Now it seems that they may not let me drop maths, it's kind of a big deal that i do extension english and i need a note from home, talk to the english coordinator, talk to my english teacher etc...

:mad: I may have to keep maths yet, unless the english coordinator decides I'm doing well enough

-wm
Oh yeah i forgot to mention all the hassle u have to go through lol. Anyways goodluck with ur decision...im sure u will make the choice that is right for you. Because it seems that everyones situation is different :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
What if u wanted to become a high school maths teacher? :p

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
hehe well obviously maths would be a requirement for the uni course but it still isn't a department of education requirement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)