Question about the soft iron core in transformers (1 Viewer)

kcrocks

HSC
Generally, most books have a U or horseshoe shape, but in the prac test our teacher made as use a nail. So here is my question-- does the shape of the soft iron core affect the generation of a voltage in the secondary coil, and the threading of magnetic flux through the coil??

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I am not sure if I am correct but I think the textbooks just separate primary and secondary coils because it's better to do so for demonstration purposes.

However, I think it's better for primary and secondary coils to be placed closer together so that change in flux generated by the primary coil is more readily experienced by the secondary coil.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not so sure.

shady145

Banned
HSC
i dnt think it would really matter, a nail is small so the distance between the primary and secondary coil is short... did u get results?

kcrocks

HSC
Yep, the nail worked like the soft iron core... I proposed whether the actual shape of the soft iron core would change the results, and my teacher told me to research it, and I'm trying to find info about it, but not really any luck.

helper

HSC
N/A
The shape has a significant effect. A nail or U will have similar ability. The nail would be probably be a bit better for the reasons you stated.

A full D-shaped core is more effective again, even if the coil are separate. This is because the core provides a path between the n and s pole for the magnetic field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)