Question for engineering students (1 Viewer)

emily_02

HSC
hi everyone, i just finished the 2019 hsc and i'm probably going to sound a bit dramatic but based on how i did i highly doubt i'd get into the unsw engineering courses. How does internal transfer work? can you transfer from any degree in unsw as long as you achieve a certain mark (i think it's called wam? i have no idea how uni grading degrees work sorry)

blyatman

HSC
N/A
It depends what you transfer from. If you transfer across departments (e.g. from science to engineering) or between universities, then (assuming things haven't changed since my time) you'd need to go through UAC just like you're doing now when you apply for university courses for next year, which would likely take into account your WAM as well as your ATAR. However, if you do an internal transfer within the engineering department (e.g. from civil to electrical or whatever), then I believe it should be handled internally by the engineering department and its up to them.

I had a friend who transferred from civil to aerospace, and when he approached the year coordinator with his transfer forms, he (the year coordinator) looked up his marks, and just went "hm... yeh alright" and signed his forms approving the transfer.

So, I would imagine transferring externally across departments is more difficult, since you need to go through the official channels and they take into account your ATAR, whereas internal transfers are typically more relaxed (and might not care about your ATAR).

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Bro legit don't go unsw engineering unless u are doing civil or chemical the rest is an a clusterfuck of admin issues I can only imagine would get worse with trimesters

SammyT123

HSC
Imho if you are going unsw, you'll 100% be able to transfer (as long as you get above the wam req, which isn't very hard at all imo)

Ive transferred like 5 times and it's literally a 2 minute form .

The thing that sucks is that you'll have to plan out your degree (which courses are offered when, prerequisites etc). Since you just stared I'm 100% sure you'll be fine.

I tell my students this all the time. Transferring internally in UNSW is a godsend.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

emily_02

HSC
It depends what you transfer from. If you transfer across departments (e.g. from science to engineering) or between universities, then (assuming things haven't changed since my time) you'd need to go through UAC just like you're doing now when you apply for university courses for next year, which would likely take into account your WAM as well as your ATAR. However, if you do an internal transfer within the engineering department (e.g. from civil to electrical or whatever), then I believe it should be handled internally by the engineering department and its up to them.

I had a friend who transferred from civil to aerospace, and when he approached the year coordinator with his transfer forms, he (the year coordinator) looked up his marks, and just went "hm... yeh alright" and signed his forms approving the transfer.

So, I would imagine transferring externally across departments is more difficult, since you need to go through the official channels and they take into account your ATAR, whereas internal transfers are typically more relaxed (and might not care about your ATAR).
ahh i see, so internal transfer only refers to transferring within the engineering department. Do you know anyone who transferred externally? is it difficult?

emily_02

HSC
Imho if you are going unsw, you'll 100% be able to transfer (as long as you get above the wam req, which isn't very hard at all imo)

Ive transferred like 5 times and it's literally a 2 minute form .

The thing that sucks is that you'll have to plan out your degree (which courses are offered when, prerequisites etc). Since you just stared I'm 100% sure you'll be fine.

I tell my students this all the time. Transferring internally in UNSW is a godsend.

did you transfer from across different courses? (As in, from science to engineering, from commerce to engineering e.t.c) or did you transfer within the engineering department? (like from electrical to chemical e.t.c)

emily_02

HSC
Bro legit don't go unsw engineering unless u are doing civil or chemical the rest is an a clusterfuck of admin issues I can only imagine would get worse with trimesters
are you speaking from experience?

SammyT123

HSC
did you transfer from across different courses? (As in, from science to engineering, from commerce to engineering e.t.c) or did you transfer within the engineering department? (like from electrical to chemical e.t.c)
Both
Recently it was from business to a science

blyatman

HSC
N/A
ahh i see, so internal transfer only refers to transferring within the engineering department. Do you know anyone who transferred externally? is it difficult?
Yeah I recall remembering a few people who transferred externally (though typically you see people flee from engineering, rather than run towards it). Didn't ask them if it was difficult, so got no idea on that one lol. Provided you get decent marks in your first year, I don't think that it'd be too hard.

Last edited:

emily_02

HSC
Yeah I recall remembering a few people who transferred externally (though typically you see people flee from engineering, rather than run towards it). Didn't ask them if it was difficult, so got no idea on that one lol. Provided you get decent marks in your first year, I don't think that it'd be too hard.
ok thank you! :) (i feel more reassured now haha)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
can confirm, they literally transferred me into the wrong degree and every time you go to the new admin services in ainsworth lvl 1, it is a clusterfuck of people referring you to another admin team and then when u go there they tell you to go back to the people who referred you

recent example:

i went to ask about industrial training and when the reports are due for the may graduation because all the dates on moodle conflicted with what the admin people posted. So i went to lvl 1 ainsworth. after waiting 30 minutes, i spoke with someone who said "nah we don't do that here, you have to go to the industrial training office"

they are only open 4 days a week from 12pm-2pm on CSE ground level. had to wait 1hr to talk to them then when i went there they were like "we don't know that is something that the mech school takes care of"

.____________________________________.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
but to answer your question

you can transfer into unsw engineering from any degree within UNSW if your WAM>65 (iirc) at the end of your first year and some of the courses you did will count as electives/gen eds.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
internal transfer works by applying online via myUNSW when they open up (unsure of certain dates) but it is usually near the end of sem (or maybe end of the trimester now?)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Yes 5 years of it

The admin is trash and really needs reform ASAP. Numerous complaints. Have fucked a lot of students over and I know 100% trimesters will make it worse.

The safe engo disciplines at unsw are civil, renewable, materials, comp sci and chemical.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Everything else beware and enter with the mindset the faculty will fuck something up during your degree

emily_02

HSC
but to answer your question

you can transfer into unsw engineering from any degree within UNSW if your WAM>65 (iirc) at the end of your first year and some of the courses you did will count as electives/gen eds.
Ohh i see, thank you :) it sounds like a big hassle and they sound a bit unhelpful with the whole transfer thing

emily_02

HSC
Yes 5 years of it

The admin is trash and really needs reform ASAP. Numerous complaints. Have fucked a lot of students over and I know 100% trimesters will make it worse.

The safe engo disciplines at unsw are civil, renewable, materials, comp sci and chemical.
ohh ok, i want to do computer science or chemical so that should be ok

SammyT123

HSC
Nope.

75 Wam overall and in math1A/1B

Nope.

Don't stress too much , they only look at atar for co-op.

SammyT123

HSC
Wasn't too bad for me (business and science)

Dunno about engineering sounds ass

When I transferred within business it was literally 1 phone call and the guy asked my student ID

Said "Ur marks are good, putting you through now"

Legit did not fill in IPT form for that

IPT form for business to science from what I remember was

1. What degree do you want to do? (Adv math)

2. Additional comments ? (No)

5 mins tops

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)