Question for Graduated Students (1 Viewer)

Thespis

HSC
My school is offering a pretty exciting program that takes a bunch of the drama students to New York next year, which is the year I will be completing the HSC. I am very academically driven, yet I have always taken an interest in drama, and take it as an HSC subject. It's probably important to note that I also go to a performing arts high school.

The program is taking place in the April Holidays (roughly 10 April-24 April next year), and runs for both weeks of the break, falling in the middle of the HSC year.

I want to know how valuable you found the April holidays in preparation for the HSC. I want to get a good ATAR to study Law, yet this seems like an opportunity I would regret not participating in. In this holiday period, did you find the time beneficial in regards to your study, or was it more relaxed and the Term 3/4 holidays to be more study focused? I would truly appreciate your guidance on this matter so I can make an educated decision.

ColdMint123

HSC
I would honestly go. If this is something you would like to go to, then go because you will probably end up regretting it. I graduated from high school last year and while I did try to take as many extra curricular activities involving sport, leadership, and volunteering, I kinda regret somethings that I didn't do because I felt bad not 'studying'. Given you get to travel to NY (which I doubt many year 12s in Australia get to say) and learn and experience new things, there's no reason not to go. In the long term, these sorts of experiences can really come in handy when applying for jobs, scholarships, etc. I think it also makes you a better, more well rounded person because you learn new things. So I would say get for it!

If I remember correctly, I actually spent most of my 2 weeks holidays during the middle of terms to relax and get away from school work. I probably studied 2-3 hours a day and chilled out for the rest of the day. Once you come back from NY, you would probably have to hunker down and study a little bit harder during the term to make up some of the lost time. To be honest though, you're not losing much. One thing you might have to consider is having exams at the start of the term after you come back. For example if you have exams on the first week back that could be a problem. Talk to your teachers about that and make sure you can prepare yourself before you go.

If I was in your shoe, I would defo go. However, if you think that the 2weeks could be really valuable in improving your ATAR (which is unlikely tbh) then its up to you. Goodluck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)