Question For Syd Arts Students (1 Viewer)

nessyfreak

HSC
Hi, i was just wondering what type of careers/job you are planning to pursue when you graduate. Do you like arts at sydney? sorry for these stupid questions, im nervous about my preferences.

Yeila

HSC
I'm doing BA at sydney .

First semester I did the most awful history subject EVER: HSTY1025 - I became totally disillusioned with it, along with my liking for history :\ .

I don't know what I want to do after this degree.
The good thing with BA is that you can learn languages from beginners to advanced level :) :)

When I tell people I am doing arts they either say:
"Oh....... nice"
"oh, so you're going to be a teacher?? "
"haha"

It's a ok degree to do if you don't have much of an idea what career path you have in mind.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I agree with Yeila. It's great if you're planning to transfer into something else, and you're not quite sure yet. It sort of eases you into uni, because there are fewer hours and the work is not as hard as other courses (well I'm assuming it isnt, because my friends were scraping passes in their commerce/pharmacy/engo courses, and I breezed a D average in arts. They're smart people. Their courses must be killer).

I'm planning on transfering to B.ed(primary teaching) next year, so yeeah I'm going to be a teacher. Most people are like "lol arts", because it doesn't set you up for a specific job. You generally have to do a diploma of something, or tranfer later on, but arts is a good place to start. It's also fun. It's so flexible and you can basically do whatever interests you.

Yes, you'll never get an engineer's 6 figure starting salary, but that shouldn't affect your choice. If you're interested in art subjects, then do arts, or an arts-based course. You're going to be at uni for a few years, you might as well enjoy it.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
engineers have six-figure starting salaries?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
what971 said:
engineers have six-figure starting salaries?
Apparently, sometimes. Although turtleface said "mining engineering"... which is probably different, but meh, they're occasionally being paid 200k first year out.

It's most likely a bit of an exagguration. Doesn't affect the fact that arts students are generally not in the high-graduate-salary club.

Meh. It doesn't make me want to be a mining engineer. Or a pharmacist.

InstantKarma

purple haze
HSC
N/A
Yeah I am doing a BA becasue I still dont know what I want to do. Maybe one day I might

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
psychologist or sociologist, or a wierd combo of the two, working in the government and business sector.

I like it, i admit that alot of it is useless IF you don't choose your units properly, i made the mistake of doing a philosophy unit 1st semester which wont get me shit, but it does help a bit i guess because it improves your ability to think logically, and helps you grow as a person.

Psychology and sociology are the only 'arts' (psych is more of a science but u can still do it in BA) which would get you jobs (journalist, social researcher, psychologist [which has many sub-branches], research for businesses and government etc, social policy advisor (if you do alot of sociology/social policy, psych would be helpful in that too).

niteshade1312

HSC
I think it also depends on the area or field you want to get into later on. I'm doing a BA because I actually want to study arty subjects and I'm loving all my subjects. I'm also doing a language which will benefit me later on. We will see...

Yeila

HSC
Yeh I'm doing 2 languages/English/History
I will probably drop History though.

Malfoy : you liked it? oh, haha a few people I know hated it also, I spose Lyn didn't really do it for me haha, and the other lecturer was boring.

Power and Persuasion is REALLY good! :D :D :D

niteshade1312

HSC
Im really liking Power and Persuasion, just waiting to get into the Imperial Times. YAYAY Augustus and Claudius and Caligula!!!

helmut

HSC
i'm doing arts to keep me sane whilst i'm doing commerce... but it adds on an extra 2 yrs to my course.

arts are generally pretty flexible so don't freak out if you put some preference on the list then decide later [when they demand that it's TOO LATE TO CHANGE] that you DO want to change as there is always a way around stuff.

Malfoy.... did you do "fiction film and power"? and is there much difference between it and "power and persuasion"?

helmut

HSC
ahhhh now i see... i thought it was the engl one for this sem... they all sound alike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)