Question for the smartest out there (1 Viewer)

dean

Hey, yer im doing a syllabus summary for the HSC and i cant find this in any book, theres a point in communication systems, 'examples of communications systems - electronic mail - Current trend of web based mail' .... can some one list me some trends i could put down?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Examples of communication systems
Messaging Systems
Electronic Mail

Trends you could put down:
- One of the earliest uses of the Internet and is still widely used to this day
- Fast, economical and convenient which makes it relevant to today's 'Age of Information'
- Messages can be sent across the world in minutes
- Ever-increasing uses of email for personal/business use
- Revolutionised the way people communicate
- Exponential rate of email accounts/addresses, which aren't declining (ie more subscribers, more alternative 'email addresses', leading to a greater demand/increase in email usage).

And the biggest trend:
- The current trend is moving away from ISP hosted email inboxes (for example user@bigpond.com or user@optusnet.com.au and other ISPs), and towards web-based email storage, (that can be access globally/worldwide, from any computer connected to the Internet, doesn't require configuration of Outlook or email applications/software, only requires a browser).

Sites like Hotmail (www.hotmail.com) have made it possible for users to gain an email account through the use of a web browser (for free!). Users log onto a website and can check/compose emails. Other tasks such as forwarding, deleting, composing etc can also be performed via the web-based interface :)

You can probably make some more up yourself with email trends, target age groups (eg elderly/grandparents are starting to use it, kids are starting to email at a younger age, etc) :)

/edit 2200 posts! *dances*

Last edited:

dean

CHEEEEEEERS

2nd one was GREAT, while ur on huy, the syllabus says we dont need to know shit about the transmission of data in relation to serial, parallel, asyncrones, simplex, etc..... We cant be tested on this right?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by dean
while ur on huy, the syllabus says we dont need to know shit about the transmission of data in relation to serial, parallel, asyncrones, simplex, etc..... We cant be tested on this right?
It is assumed knowledge (preliminary course, and if you did Computing Studies in Years 9-10, it was taught then also).

But the HSC course, as with any other HSC course, builds upon previous knowledge/theory.

For example, parity and error checking methods are a consequence of the parallel transmission mode. This can then be linked to synchronous and asynchronous, which is then akin to such terms as simplex, half-duplex and full-duplex, which can then be going into areas such as odd/even parity, CRC, other error checking methods, data validation/verification, transmission modes and mediums, advantages/disadvantages, and so on.

My answer is "no" - you will not be tested explicitly or directly, for example: "Define serial transmission" -- but you will be required to know, or to have known/learnt serial and parallel transmission methods, simplex, half and full duplex, as well as all the associated terms/meanings of asynchronous and synchronous, parity, and error checking methods/correction methods (retransmission), along with other things like transmission media (wired, wireless, including microwave, satellite, fibre optic, coaxial, twisted pair (STP/UTP), and so on).

:)

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ...
Huy, the title said smartest...why are you replying :p
Damn, you're right! Wait a second, how come you're replying! :D

Only kidding "..." :)
Someone had to answer dean's question, and it might as well be me (even though I am not the smartest one out there ;))

rx72c

Just to make you all happy, YOUR ALL SMART if you reply on this topic except the small minds who accuse others of being DUMB

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by rx72c
Just to make you all happy, YOUR ALL SMART if you reply on this topic except the small minds who accuse others of being DUMB
No, you're all smart if... ;) :p
(note: spelling of "you're")

Only mucking around here rx72c :)

rx72c

YEH I GOT 74 IN MY ENGLISH WHICH I DID IN YR 11, your level of english does not jUDGE INTELLIGENCE.
So i admit my english is pretty bad but when it comes to computers I AM THE KING!!!, oh yeh and CARS AS WELL.
So once again you're(THANKS FOR THE CORRECTION HUY) all smart but the people who criticise other of being DUMB.

Huy

HSC
N/A
I wasn't serious there rx72c, don't take it as though I personally attacked you... I wasn't doing anything of the sort. :)

I wasn't criticising others who are 'dumb', and I said nothing about intelligence and english being the determiner.

If you read my post, I was only joking there... it wasn't meant to be taken as an attack on you, your English, intelligence levels, or any criticism of others. I was only kidding there, as I have noted.

Sorry for getting you so fired up about it. :(

fatmuscle

HSC
whoa!

I seriously didn't think Huy was serious at all when he made that post.

he even stated that he was 'mucking around'

rx72c

"Huy is evil", not at all.
I dont think he is evil.
Stop being so serious people, JUST RELAX HAHAHa.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by fatmuscle
whoa!
I seriously didn't think Huy was serious at all when he made that post.
he even stated that he was 'mucking around'
Thanks fatmuscle! :)
You are right there.
Originally posted by ...
Huy is evil!
Hehe no, I'm not ;)

I'm not evil, I'm just a little concerned about students who aren't taking IPT seriously, as I do. (It's not that bad a subject, if you're willing to read a little and learn how to answer questions, you'll get the well-deserved marks).

Originally posted by rx72c
"Huy is evil", not at all.
I dont think he is evil.
Stop being so serious people, JUST RELAX HAHAHa.
*Relaxes*

^___^
HSC
got my rank for ipt today...

out of 35 came 7th...couldn't ask for more...
teacher said i should have been "up there" if i made some effort...fuck, hate those type of comments...

Jeo

thats what all teachers say about everyone

dude, ur in y12, you should know that by now

i got like 96 for my maths in year 10, and my maths teacher was like, had you just tried a little harder.... i said no fucking way and walked out.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Teachers are always trying to push you that little bit extra, even though you feel that you have reached your potential.

I remember my IPT teacher telling me to improve on my marks, even though there is a huge separation between 1st and 2nd, and so on. I don't understand, if I am 1st, then leave me alone :p (Just kidding, I know where she is coming from and what she means, she wants me to get into the high 90s or so, which isn't "impossible" but I am fine where I am).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)