Question Hsc 2003 Q24 (1 Viewer)

xxxcaixxx

does anyone have a answer for that q? (HSC 2003 Q24)
I got no idea about that...thanx 4 help..

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
It might be a good idea to ask us the question.

nm i found it

Last edited:

Paroissien

HSC
A weak base or acid should be used to neutralise any spills as any excess won't be harmful.
Sodium hydrogencarbonate is good to use as it can be in powder form (easier to control), and it is amphiprotic and can be used to neutralise acid and base.
Then do your equations for behaviour of that in acid and basic environment

smallcattle

HSC
i have no idea as well

the only thing i can think of is the normal handle strong acids and bases with care thing??...umm

wind

HSC
Discuss factors that must be considered when using neutralisation reactions to safely minimise damage in chemical spills.

A neutralisation is a reaction between an acid and base to produce water and a salt.

If there is an accident that involves a chemical spill of a strong acid or a strong base, there could be serious damage to surroundings or to humans. Both strong acids and bases are damaging to skin and eyes. Strong acids can also corrode metal and cause damage to organic materials such as wood.

For these reasons, strong acids and bases must be removes as quickly as possible following the spill. Neutralisation is the quickest and most effective way to remove acids and bases.

To neutralise a strong acid, a weak base such as a carbonate or hydrogen carbonate should be used. These can be used in excess because the excess is harmless. If a strong base was used, the excess would be as damaging as the original spill.

In addition, a powdered form of carbonate should be used as it is safe to store in laboratories and is easy to control when being used. It is also easy to sweep up after the neutralisation is complete.

To neutralise a strong base, an amphiprotic substance like hydrogen carbonate can be used. This can be used in excess and can be used to neutralise acids or bases if the pH of the spill is unknown.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
It's also because the reaction can produce dangerous amounts of heat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)