Question regarding doing 27 uoc in one semester (1 Viewer)

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
I'm doing a B sci (adv.)/B arts and i'm having a tiny bit of trouble. As an adv sci student I have to take LIFE1001, which is worth 3 uoc. Rather than finding another 3 uoc course (I assume I don't have to do gen ed courses because I'm doing two degrees) I was hoping to enroll in an extra course (ie, two courses worth 6uoc and one worth 3uoc) which would bring my totaly uoc for semester 2 to 27.
However, after trying to enrol I get an error:
Error:Maximum session unit load exceeded
Now I'm sure it is possibleto do more than normal, however I'm not sure how I would go about doing it? Will I need to get some sort of permission? Who should I contact about it?
Thank you in advance :)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
I wouldn't bother. First year science students are not allowed to overload. Period. If you really want to try, drop into the Science Student Centre(Webster Building Rm128) and have a chat to us, and ask nicely if you can overload, although your chances are virtuall zero.

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
*sigh* ok, thank you for your help. So my best bet would be to do a 3uoc gen ed course? Or, is it possible to leave the LIFE1001 to next year when I am allowed to overload?

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Yeah, with regards to workload, most people find that 24 units is pretty demanding, as in its full-time. Generally, those students that are allowed to overload have demonstrated a history of performing well (read: > distinction average). I for one, will probably never overload again (30UOC is a little tough when it comes to exam time).

Is it possible that you did LIFE1001 in a later semester? The problem with a loose 3UOC is that it can be only filled by a gen ed course, which you do NOT need to complete. Perhaps another 3UOC adv science course to make 24UOC?

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
If I leave LIFE1001 until next year, i have another 3uoc LIFE course in 2nd year, which would add up to a neat 6uoc. That's what I think I'm going to do, it should all work out. Thanks for your quick responses :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)