Question Regarding Math in Focus Ext 1 (1 Viewer)

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
I have this book atm , and well i do not know why , but since it says ext 1 , i would think it should only be ext 1. But looking thouroughly through it you find out that it has alot of 2U work , is there a reason to this?

Also i have the Ext 1 , book 1 , there is book 2 , anyone know whats it about , not the ext2 , just ext1 book 2.

Offtopic question: For 2/3U students , i have a question , no where in the preliminary syallbus for 2/3U does it say calculus , but when i looked into the 2U preliminary syllabus i found a course "Tangent to a curve and derivative of a function" , Is this calculus (differentation)??

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Math in focus ext 1 is inferior in comparison to Cambridge mathematics. Go cambridge! w00t :).

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
the reason there'es 2u work in the ex1 book is because you can use the ex1 book as a standalone text without the 2u book....because ex1 syllabus includes harder 2u work...
Ok. Ty. Now do you know what the book 2 , ext 1 , is used for? and what is in it?

Razizi said:
Math in focus ext 1 is inferior in comparison to Cambridge mathematics. Go cambridge! w00t :).
What does this have anything to do with the thread and questions asked?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
osamaelias said:
It doesn't. But I'm assuming that you want the book that is best for you.

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
i think the book 2 would just have the rest of the topics....thats the way it works with cambridge and jones and couchman...
The book includes "series" which is in the 2Unit hsc course , these books are confusing me.

The stupid syallbus thats being use from 1995 is still confusing , is has different names of courses , that are different then the one in these "kind of newer" books.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
osamaelias said:
For 2/3U students , i have a question , no where in the preliminary syallbus for 2/3U does it say calculus , but when i looked into the 2U preliminary syllabus i found a course "Tangent to a curve and derivative of a function" , Is this calculus (differentation)??
Yes, that is differentiation calculus.

bored of sc

HSC
I have this book atm , and well i do not know why , but since it says ext 1 , i would think it should only be ext 1. But looking thouroughly through it you find out that it has alot of 2U work , is there a reason to this?

Yer, it contains the entire Preliminary 3U course - this includes both Mathematics and Extension 1 Maths: in the contents it shows you that the 3U topics are denoted by an E while the rest are 2U.

Also i have the Ext 1 , book 1 , there is book 2 , anyone know whats it about , not the ext2 , just ext1 book 2.

Book 2 is the entire 3U HSC course I am pretty sure.

Offtopic question: For 2/3U students , i have a question , no where in the preliminary syallbus for 2/3U does it say calculus , but when i looked into the 2U preliminary syllabus i found a course "Tangent to a curve and derivative of a function" , Is this calculus (differentation)??

Yes, this is calculus, but it is an introduction to calculus which is treated in much greater depth in the HSC course. I think they are trying to prepare us for the HSC course.

Maths in Focus is okay - it's just the circle geometry questions are nothing like what is in HSC 3U exams :( - and harder mathematics tested upon in 3U tests is a huge step up from the conventional/easy textbook questions. But oh well. I am sure you'll be fine. Just do past-papers.

P.S Does your teacher give you extra "harder" questions to do to consolodate your learning???

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
Book 2 is the entire 3U HSC course I am pretty sure.
Brother , but in book 1 , they included series , which is only in the hsc course :mad:

bored of sc said:
P.S Does your teacher give you extra "harder" questions to do to consolodate your learning???
We only have Fitzpatrick ;) , but i asked him for a better book , because Fitzpatrick is old and not formatted in a easy to read way :). So he let me use that and told me when ive got the general idea move on to Fitzpatrick for the questions :D

bored of sc

HSC
osamaelias said:
Brother , but in book 1 , they included series , which is only in the hsc course :mad:

We only have Fitzpatrick ;) , but i asked him for a better book , because Fitzpatrick is old and not formatted in a easy to read way :). So he let me use that and told me when ive got the general idea move on to Fitzpatrick for the questions :D
oh, okay

that series thing is annoying - but for us we keep the prelim book for next year to study the prelim topics next year cause they can test you on any prelim topic

Aplus

HSC
N/A
osamaelias said:
Fitzpatrick isn't that good according to my teacher.

bored of sc

HSC
Oh man, so many people on here are saying textbook 'x' is bad and textbook 'y' is better and others say textbook 'y' is not as good as textbook 'x'. The whole lot confuses me, so I like to think they are all good in different respects but the best thing to do is past papers :D .

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Fitzpatrick is used by Ruse and heaps of other selective schools (and my school as well)... gotta be good.

My school used to use Coroneous way back, and when I did 2u last year they ran out of Fitzpatrick, so they gave us Coroneous... its a good book, but reallly really old skool... hand drawn diagrams, yellow paper and typewriter font.

So to me... Fitzpatrick is the best, but if you don't like Fitzpatrick, get Coroneous.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Maths in focus is a pretty bad textbook. There is loads of 2u work in it basically so schools dont have to buy 2 textbooks for their 2u and 3u students and kids are going to be doing both mathematics and extension 1 maths.

We use maths in focus and I hate it with a passion :vcross:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Cambridge for 3 unit. Plus Coroneous for supplementary questions. Seriously, Cambridge is really good for extension 1 maths.[comment]Yes, opinion, but having compared a lot of the extension 1 texts, it's seriously good.[/comment]

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Cambridge for 3 unit. Plus Coroneous for supplementary questions. Seriously, Cambridge is really good for extension 1 maths.[comment]Yes, opinion, but having compared a lot of the extension 1 texts, it's seriously good.[/comment]
Our teacher has cambridge and we also use it cause the questions are much better in it than maths in focus.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Fitzpatrick isn't that good according to my teacher.
Fitzpatrick 2U is really good. But my Maths teacher says Fitzpatrick 3U is a shocker.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
osamaelias said:

I was just making a suggestion that you should use Cambridge Mathematics 3U instead of Math in Focus Ext 1. The quotes below are in reference to what I said. Kay?

Aerath said:
It doesn't. But I'm assuming that you want the book that is best for you.

Sarah182 said:
Maths in focus is a pretty bad textbook. There is loads of 2u work in it basically so schools dont have to buy 2 textbooks for their 2u and 3u students and kids are going to be doing both mathematics and extension 1 maths.
Sarah182 said:

We use maths in focus and I hate it with a passion

SoulSearcher said:

AnandDNA

HSC
Our school uses cambridge, but i was just wondering, i am okay with the development questions but struggling with the extension questions. So are the extension questions the likely difficulty that we wud experience in the preliminary or HSC or are teh development questions the kind of difficulty that wud be in the MathsX1 prelimz and HSC

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
AnandDNA said:
Our school uses cambridge, but i was just wondering, i am okay with the development questions but struggling with the extension questions. So are the extension questions the likely difficulty that we wud experience in the preliminary or HSC or are teh development questions the kind of difficulty that wud be in the MathsX1 prelimz and HSC
the extention questions are supposed to be harder3U difficulty or beyond (not even I can do them all :(). In the beginning of the book, it says that the development questions will be enough to prepare you for the HSC, so I woudn't waste too much time doing the extention questions.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
AnandDNA said:
our teacher hardly gives us extension questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)