question regarding transfering (1 Viewer)

~::UAI::~

Life is Wonderful
HSC
just wondering, if you want to transfer from a full fee place to CSP, who to apply to, what condition may be attached, i.e credit average etc.. who would i need to contact tregarding the transfer. i search information in the unsw website, but i couldn't find any relevant info. course is commerce/art. thank for any help! >_<

dm4n

HSC
apply through UAC at the end of the year, a mid-credit to distinction average should do the trick

~::UAI::~

Life is Wonderful
HSC
thanks ppls for the advises, i'll keep everyone up to date on the progress....
i'll start off by phoning UAC..
hehe
hopefully, by the start of next year, i'll be able to get into the CSP course....

FeelBare

HSC
Wrong. UNSW considers WAM and your UAI 50/50.

Edit: omggg, after first year WAM doesn't count? They can't do that to us.

Last edited:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
politik said:
Incorrect, the UAI is weighted more heavily after first year - your WAM is almost unimportant.
This can't be right. You probably have those 2 switched around.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Jago said:
This can't be right. You probably have those 2 switched around.
Yeah I think/hope he has them confused, as I know quite a number of people who transferred with reasonably low UAIs to high UAI courses after first year.

From what I gather it's a bit more complex than just 50/50 with UAI too.

dm4n

HSC
i thought it was the greater of UAI or uni marks after 1 year for some faculties unless they changed it?

FeelBare

HSC
Thread-starter, just email the person that coordinates the course that you want to get into, and the ask about transferring process that applies to their uni.

Hebe Tian

HSC
N/A
dm4n said:
i thought it was the greater of UAI or uni marks after 1 year for some faculties unless they changed it?
afaik they haven't released any solid information regarding the process

at least i was never able to get a solid answer on it when i had a few questions

akuchan

YUI
HSC
I got a similar question but didn't want to start a seperate thread.
I emailed COFA and they told me

"If you complete at least one year's worth of full-time study in a University program then the UAC can calculate a new UAI for you based on those results. When you apply for any new programs, you will automatically be assessed on whichever of your two UAIs is higher - your high school UAI or your new UAI. However, if you do receive a new UAI from University study, then your High School UAI will only be valid for three years after the date you finished high school"

So..right now my UAI is higher than the program i want transfer to by a couple of points, if i only complete 1 semester of uni and completely fail, and take leave in semester 2, would that 1 semester which i fail in, affect my chances of getting accepted into the other program. According to COFA's reply it shouldn't, but im not sure, wanna see what more people think.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
The most solid advice is to talk to the student centre enquiries of your faculty. I.e. For Science --> Science Student Centre, etc.

AND

Contact UAC for further instructions + Weighting of UAI/WAM

Typically, in most courses, I can vouch for science-based degrees, it is simply 50:50 UAI:WAM.

A 70-80 UAI together with a Pass/Credit (i.e. WAM of 58-60) should be able to get you a CSP Science-based degree. That's an approximate.

If you're currently doing a science degree, I'll be honest, it is quite hard to get distinctions. Most 1st Year Science courses at UNSW are run really badly. Examples include Genetics, Biology, Chemistry.

akuchan

YUI
HSC
Yep so true..should include physics in that too... i'm in ADVANCED science right now.. applying for semester 1 2009 Digital Media, the people from COFA student centre assured me with my UAI i should get a spot comfortably, and by taking leave next semester, i won't be given a new UAi...hopefully all goes well.
I've contacted UAC before, ages ago but weird thing is they told me to contact my uni for that info, and the uni tells me to contact UAC..so i just contacted COFA since thats the campus i want to transfer to.

aTemp

HSC
akuchan said:
Yep so true..should include physics in that too... i'm in ADVANCED science right now.. applying for semester 1 2009 Digital Media, the people from COFA student centre assured me with my UAI i should get a spot comfortably, and by taking leave next semester, i won't be given a new UAi...hopefully all goes well.
I've contacted UAC before, ages ago but weird thing is they told me to contact my uni for that info, and the uni tells me to contact UAC..so i just contacted COFA since thats the campus i want to transfer to.
Wait, how do u take leave? do u just dont put any courses for semester 2?and then apply by uac for the 2009 admissions? im in the same boat as i want to do another degree and gain entry solely based on my uai as i fear i will fail a course this semester

akuchan

YUI
HSC
wow glad im not the only one in this situation =/
Well to take leave, you can either find a "Program Enrolment Variation" form on the unsw website somewhere, or easier just get a copy from the Student Central, fill in some details and reason why you want to take leave, and yeah. You also need authority from a staff in your current program or something.. i haven't applied for leave yet.. but you can do it until august some time, before the census date.
I'm only doing 2 courses right now..since i've dropped 2 earlier this semester, and i still might fail 1 or both of them..should've dropped everything altogether i guess.. anyways..what is it you want to transfer to/from? Just curious hehe

aTemp

HSC
Im in the computer science/arts plan wanting to change to arts(media&communication) btw i got an email from student central though about transferring:

"Should you wish to apply for Media and Communications in Semester 1 2009 and
have completed at least 0.75 of a full time year (at UNSW this is 36 units
of credit) and no more than one full time year of tertiary study (48 units
of credit) we will look at both your UAI and your first year university
results and select you on whichever mark is highest. Therefore, if your UAI
is higher than the admission rank derived from your university results then
we will select you based on your UAI.........."

akuchan

YUI
HSC
yay thats comforting..lol, since my UAI will be higher for sure..
hmmm an arts program? You're going to COFA as well? heheh

itachi-kun

HSC
I emailed UNSW Undergraduate Admissions about transfering the other day with a response saying that they will take 25% UAI and 75% tertiary if you have completed 0.75 FTE. So if you did not complete 0.75 FTE your selection rank will be base solely on your UAI.

So its not which ever is higher from UAI or tertiary. UAI will always be counted 25% and IF you have completed 0.75 FTE or more they will take 75% of tertiary.

For example.

UAI: 80
UWS: 78 - 1 FTE
UTS: 91 - 1 FTE

From here they will take 25% of your UAI which is 20/25 and they will take 75% of UTS result because it has a higher selection rank then UWS and UWS will be ignored. So 75% of UTS is 68.25/75. Add them both together you have a new selection rank of 88.25.

So now 88.25 is your selection rank/UAI equivalent.

This is the exact same process UTS does it however UTS is UAI 50% and Tertiary 50%. Some people have mentioned that UNSW is 50/50 but from the email I receive I believe not.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)