Question regarding year 11 students with tutoring... (1 Viewer)

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
Now im wondering for all the studnets taking tutoring , that are in grade 11. Are you taking the preliminary year work , or grade 12?

This is whats confusing me , further more , the maths in grade 11 , is usually the same book you use for grade 12 , do you redo the lessons you did in 11 in 12? (We use Fitzpatrick) :)

Cheers:shy:

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Depends on how fast your tutoring goes, most tutors are just learning the 'harder' aspects of year 11 and they just go over the ones that they consider simple. After that, they usually progress onto year 12 work. There are some exceptions, especially with maths for obvious reasons - it is a pretty damn competitive subject after all. You have some year 10 students who start doing HSC questions and so forth. :uhoh:

As for the part about maths textbooks, I think that we get another textbook. We use Cambridge and although some of the questions are year 12 level, most of the rest is just standard to hard year 11 questions.

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
;)
Continuum said:
Depends on how fast your tutoring goes, most tutors are just learning the 'harder' aspects of year 11 and they just go over the ones that they consider simple. After that, they usually progress onto year 12 work. There are some exceptions, especially with maths for obvious reasons - it is a pretty damn competitive subject after all. You have some year 10 students who start doing HSC questions and so forth. :uhoh:
Yes i would have to agree with most of you stated , but some tutors are designed for different things ,example alpha omega , depending on what year you do , they follow the syallabus for that year and teach you from that and help explain it etc etc.

Thats why i was asking :). I think it would be better to start studying for grade 12 in grade 11 :), and get your basics in 11 correct(self study basically) , so by the time you get to grade 12 , you can either revise , or do it again and see what you may have missed out

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
We've just finished Inverse Trigonometry. I'm assuming that's Year 12 work?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I'm not entirely sure but I assume very much that the work I'm doing at tutoring is Year 12 work [Mathematics Extension 1]

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Not worth it if it's on Year 11 Topics, do it for year 12 topics if you like.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Doing Trigonometric Equations atm.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I got a 3U math tutor, and he goes at my pace (quite fast if i say so myself), and helps me with questions i can't do. I finnished all of 2U and most of 3U math in under 2 terms with him (You learn faster if they explain a topic to you, rather than reading it yourself). So, after next week i won't have a tutor anymore.

Tutors are there to help you learn the whole course as fast as you can and to help you with bits you don't know or understand. If you can cover everything faster than school, then school will be a cruise for you.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Aerath said:
We've just finished Inverse Trigonometry. I'm assuming that's Year 12 work?
inverse trig is the yr 12 term 1. and binomial is term 2 i think. eitherway i'm ahead of my schools yr 12 3U math people.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, we were doing integration and differentiation of inverse trig. For some reason, at tutor, we've now moved on to parabolas in the form x^2 = 4ay - which is something that I learnt at school first in the 2U course.

Weird.

(Unless there's some harder bit in the topic, but I haven't been bothered looking at the booklet yet).

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Aerath said:
Yeah, we were doing integration and differentiation of inverse trig. For some reason, at tutor, we've now moved on to parabolas in the form x^2 = 4ay - which is something that I learnt at school first in the 2U course.

Weird.

(Unless there's some harder bit in the topic, but I haven't been bothered looking at the booklet yet).
the only thing following from x^2=4ay is parametrics, but thats yr 11 stuff, so it's weird how it would come after inverse trig.

bored of sc

HSC
wo, I have never heard any of the topics you guys are talking about

we've done (mathematics and extension)
- basic arithmetic
- algebra and surds
- equations and inequalites
- functions and graphs
- circle geometry

and at the moment we are doing permutations and combinations

hmm...

scared of differentiation :( the word even sounds hard

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
bored of sc said:
wo, I have never heard any of the topics you guys are talking about

we've done (mathematics and extension)
- basic arithmetic
- algebra and surds
- equations and inequalites
- functions and graphs
- circle geometry

and at the moment we are doing permutations and combinations

hmm...

scared of differentiation :( the word even sounds hard
Nah, don't worry about differentiation, it's not that hard at all.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nah, i's not that bad. I've never done permutations and combinations. :D

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
So just to get your opinion on this , would it be better if i do 3Unit and 4Unit maths at tutoring now with the current grade 12 students? Then i would finish the hsc course with them this year (me being in 11) and next year if i want i can maybe redo again with tutor and do it with school , or should i leave all of it to grade 12?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
osamaelias said:
So just to get your opinion on this , would it be better if i do 3Unit and 4Unit maths at tutoring now with the current grade 12 students? Then i would finish the hsc course with them this year (me being in 11) and next year if i want i can maybe redo again with tutor and do it with school , or should i leave all of it to grade 12?
How i did it is this: (i'm ranked 2nd in 3U math with 97%, and this is how i studied)
I got a 3U tutor for 1hr every week, he explained every topic i didn't know in 2U and 3U math, at a rate of about 1 topic per week over a period of 2 terms (I started end of last year). I went home, and did some practice questions, if i had trouble i asked him next week and he clarified it for me. So now i basicly know all of 2U and 3U math.

i'm a bit rough on the 3U kinematics and newtons law of cooling, but everything seems to have progressed very well. Next week is my last week with him, and i've already finnished all of yr 11 and yr 12 2U and 3U math, how good is that. I just sit back and relax whenever i have math.

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
foram said:
How i did it is this: (i'm ranked 2nd in 3U math with 97%, and this is how i studied)
I got a 3U tutor for 1hr every week, he explained every topic i didn't know in 2U and 3U math, at a rate of about 1 topic per week over a period of 2 terms (I started end of last year). I went home, and did some practice questions, if i had trouble i asked him next week and he clarified it for me. So now i basicly know all of 2U and 3U math.

i'm a bit rough on the 3U kinematics and newtons law of cooling, but everything seems to have progressed very well. Next week is my last week with him, and i've already finnished all of yr 11 and yr 12 2U and 3U math, how good is that. I just sit back and relax whenever i have math.
Oh so what your saying is you finished the syallbus before you took it in class , not as you took it lol :). Not bad.

Might do the same , but how about for 4 unit , you going to do it or ?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
osamaelias said:
Oh so what your saying is you finished the syallbus before you took it in class , not as you took it lol :). Not bad.

Might do the same , but how about for 4 unit , you going to do it or ?
Maths is like a subject where you can study by yourself if you are really commited and talented at that area.

Therefore, I am pretty impressed with Foram in that regard. It is impressive that he studied by himself when it is quite difficult to do so. However, he would not be perfect at it like me as he did it by himself (with tutoring) even though he will eventually be perfect at it if he does it again this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)