Question relating to Hsc marking (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You do NOT have marks taken off. From my experience the 'irrelevant' and 'incorrect' is ignored - if there is enough correct there then marks are awarded. So if you give three correct answers and one incorrect the incorrect is ignored. It isn't a matter of you have 3 correct but you lose a mark for adding something wrong.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Ah awesome. Thanks for clarifying

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
You do NOT have marks taken off. From my experience the 'irrelevant' and 'incorrect' is ignored - if there is enough correct there then marks are awarded. So if you give three correct answers and one incorrect the incorrect is ignored. It isn't a matter of you have 3 correct but you lose a mark for adding something wrong.
?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Break it up mathematically, the 'it isn't a matter of you' being the common factor. So (it isn't a matter of you)(having 3 correct + you losing a mark for adding something wrong)
You get: it isn't a matter of you having 3 correct + it isn't a matter of you losing a mark for adding something wrong

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Still sounds contradictive to me haha t_t maybe my english is broken

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Sorry I didn't explain that as well as I should have:

A question is worth 3 marks and you have to give three things to get the three marks. You decide to give 4 in case one of the three you first thought of is wrong so...

The marker reads your entire answer and finds that you have 3 correct points and 1 incorrect point.

The question then is - how many marks will the marker give you?

From my 20 or so years of marking I would say 3 marks as:

1. the 3 correct points all get a mark
2. the 1 incorrect point is ignored.

The alternative would be for the student to lose a mark for the incorrect answer but... markers don't take marks off - they only award marks (Maths is somewhat different of course).

So the student would get 3/3 even though there is an incorrect point in the answer.

Is that clearer?

Lincolnc

HSC
I would think you would lose maybe half a mark because you didn't read the question properly

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As I said - from my 20+ years as a marker we do NOT deduct marks - if what is written answers the question then it is given credit - the idea is to award marks not to mark as you would at school.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
As I said - from my 20+ years as a marker we do NOT deduct marks - if what is written answers the question then it is given credit - the idea is to award marks not to mark as you would at school.
My teachers tried to explain it to our class that HSC markers always start at 0 and try to give you as many marks as possible. Is this the same concept with essays? Where you start at 0, and you try to award as many marks as possible /15 or /20 or /25? A lot of my tutoring students seem to think of things in terms of 'taking marks off' with the assumption that their essay starts at full marks. I keep telling them it's quite the opposite but have always been a little skeptical. Thank you for clarification :)

HSC
From what I've heard from some HSC markers, for essays, they first 'circle' the dot point (outcome) that relates to the level of achievement.

For example, for belonging, you might have perceptively dealt with the concept of belonging well, so the 'A' range dot point is circled. But your analysis was crappy, so they circle a B outcome for that analysis but. And your structure was all over the place so they go down to the C row and circle it there. Then they make a judgement to the overall quality.

(Please correct if wrong.)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It is actually both of the above.

We do try to give as many marks as possible and so do mentally circle the dot that corresponds to where that response fits so the idea of a content dot being in a different band to an analysis one is also correct and from there we make a judgement - does the excellent content outweigh the lack of analysis or the otherway round - and two markers can differ on that - so there is a third if necessary but the premise for HSC marking is always - when in doubt go 'up'.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
For science subjects, do markers want to deduct as much marks as possible or want to award as much as possible?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The BOS, from my experience, gives the instruction to give as many marks as possible. I have been in a marking centre with Science subjects over the years and they say the same thing as Modern's SOMs which is exactly that - as many marks as possible. We are awarding marks not deducting marks.

smiggles

HSC
Hey so i'm really nervous about how i am going to be marked for mod A in english paper 2...
I overlooked (HOW DID I EVEN DO THIS) the one central word to the essay... "passion", and so i answered the question, not in relation to passion of the persona in 2 texts.
I'm scared it will come across as a prepared essay, even though all of it was made on the spot, and it's just the fact i didn't read one word that would make it look like that.
I am usually an A range student in English, so i think i analyse and stick to my thesis, etc fine.... I JUST DIDN'T PROPERLY ANSWER THE QUESTION.

I am expecting the worse... because i know BOS aims to penalise prepared essays, and they will probably think mine is prepared :/
What do you think my outcome could be on that question /20?
Could it still reach a low B?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)