Question: What are the two basic types of markets that exist in the market economy (1 Viewer)

Carl5

HSC
From "The Market Economy - Preliminary Course 2000, Year 11 Economics"
Question: What are the two basic types of markets that exist in the market economy.

I just can't find it...

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
Re: Question: What are the two basic types of markets that exist in the market econom

I would say open and closed?

Closed = no import / export
Open = import / export

Oh

I misread question..

2 types of market:
Probably looking at monopoly and pure competition, chuck in oligopoly and monopolistic competition too :)

Last edited:

Carl5

HSC
Re: Question: What are the two basic types of markets that exist in the market econom

I would say open and closed?

Closed = no import / export
Open = import / export

Oh

I misread question..

2 types of market:
Probably looking at monopoly and pure competition, chuck in oligopoly and monopolistic competition too :)
Although this seems reasonable, we're not meant to have learnt about it until the next chapter, so I'm confused now. Everything was going fine until I got to chapter 3. I can't find the answers to the questions in the book, and I haven't learnt it in class either...

In addition to this, the book uses different words for certain terms. It's really annoying...

gnrlies

HSC

Market (people do what they want without govt intervention)
Planned (govt organises the economy like in communism)

realistically all economies are a combination of both.

regards

Chibimaru

HSC

2 types of market:

Probably looking at monopoly and pure competition, chuck in oligopoly and monopolistic competition too
Monopoly/oligopoly/monopolistic competition/perfect competition are forms of market structures, not markets.

I agree it's annoying how there are so many different synonymous terms flying around, leaving questions open to interpretation.

Because the question specifies TWO basic types, my guess is it's looking for -

i) Free market (aka laissez faire) where price and quantity are determined by market forces (i.e. demand & supply).
ii) Regulated market where the government controls price or quantity or both

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)