• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Questions about Extension 2 course (1 Viewer)

kayven

HSC
I just wanted to ask some questions about the 4 unit maths course. My school is poorly ranked and is not quite as good. I was to choose 4 unit then i guess, i would be the only one doing it. Would this really matter?
I did a 3 unit topic test on; circle geometry (I HATE CIRCLE GEO) and polynomials. I got 78% in it. 2 unit i got in the 90s. Considering i got 78% in 3 unit would it still be okay for me to pick up 4 unit?
Also, what concerns me is that i haven't learnt integration and won't touch the basis of it until year 12 in 2 unit class. So, how do people actually learn 4 unit if they dont know some of the year 12 2 unit topics? do they have to teach themselves integration and other 2 unit topic which they learn in year 12?

Thankyou so much.

kr73114

HSC
Give 4unit a go. You can always drop it if you don't like it later. Btw dw about your school being low ranked. My school is pretty low ranked, and last year out of a class of 10 only one person didn't get an E4. But it generally is not that hard to get an E4.

Alkanes

HSC
Usually you will learn and do all 2/3/4U exams till the trials. Nothing will be lost in terms of content.

kayven

HSC
but in my position, i dont even know the basis of the year 12 topics. i have no idea of year 12 2 unit topic, how do i even do 4 unit? how'd you learn how to do integration?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
but in my position, i dont even know the basis of the year 12 topics. i have no idea of year 12 2 unit topic, how do i even do 4 unit? how'd you learn how to do integration?
You don't need to know Year 12 2U to start 4U. You can easily pick up direct integration before going into 4 Unit. Usually the first topic you do is Complex numbers. All that requires to start it is a good understanding of algebra.

Alkanes

HSC
Yes like ohexploitable said before. In 4U you can learn the 2U stuff in a couple of minutes.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Yes like ohexploitable said before. In 4U you can learn the 2U stuff in a couple of minutes.
I still disagree with that. It takes a while to fully master concepts of some 2U HSC content.

kayven

HSC
thanks guys for the help. I think i will try and consider doing 4 unit. But do you think that currently, a mark of 78% is good for 3 unit?

Alkanes

HSC
Depends how easy/difficult that exam was.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
thanks guys for the help. I think i will try and consider doing 4 unit. But do you think that currently, a mark of 78% is good for 3 unit?
Depends where you are at in relation to your cohort and also the ranking of the school. If you like Mathematics, there's no reason why you shouldn't do 4 Unit. Give it a try.

kayven

HSC
Thanks heaps guys. 4 unit text books; what would you recommend?

Alkanes

HSC
Cambridge, Terry Lee, Coroneos, Fitzpatrick

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
^ and Patel are the main ones schools issue. Do past papers.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I didn't start any Integration until Term 1 this year, we didn't do 4U Integration until Term 2.

You don't need to know everything in 2U/3U to start 4U. Complex Numbers just requires algebra skills and that's usually what is first.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
dude just do 4 unit. i promise u it is the greatest subject in the hsc. when u get a hard 4 unit question right, theres no better feeling in the World. (apart from certain other activities....)

when i get a hard question right, i do a little strut around the house lol. but srsly do it.

tranx

HSC
Lmao i was the same as you, worrying about things that look hard. Integration is easy when its explained (take my word for it) there is a very simple process you go through and thats it. 4 unit just expands on it a little more, but nothing to be worried about.

khfreakau

HSC
dude just do 4 unit. i promise u it is the greatest subject in the hsc. when u get a hard 4 unit question right, theres no better feeling in the World. (apart from certain other activities....)

when i get a hard question right, i do a little strut around the house lol. but srsly do it.
I do this every time i successfully do a q8

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

English Extension 2 is the greatest subject in the HSC. There is little that feels better than looking at your crappy first draft and comparing it to your Final work which is a billion times awesome-r and to know that every word in that is your own. =P

Though getting MX2 questions right had their own short-lived joy.

To the OP, take the subject - and if it's too hard drop it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)