Questions about tutoring (1 Viewer)

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I just got myself a job tutoring (by which I mean providing help to a person that's falling behind in class - not tutoring as in "I NEED TO BE PERFECT AT EVERYTHING TO GET INTO MEDICINE AT UNSW SO I NEED TUTORING") a year 10 for maths. Two questions:

1- What can I expect? Both in regards to the content (I can't remember what was actually covered in year 10) and tutoring in general.

2- What's a reasonable price? I've basically been told to name my price, but I've had absolutely no experience with tutoring, so I've got no idea what a fair price would be.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I've done this with a few people. I tend to find you learn a lot just by helping/tutoring them. 90% of learning comes from teaching.

- A reasonable price is around 15-20 dollars depending on location and hours. 300 a term is quite reasonable.

- In regard to content you should make sure your student is equipped with basic maths to start Year 11 next year.

- Have fun.

To be an awesome tutor.

- Regularly check the student's progress.

- Provide regular testing.

- Also you may want to build up his/her confidence coming into the HSC year. By this I mean, make sure he/she feels supported.

I will build a list of what Year 10 topics I think should be taught.

* Surds

* Indices

* Quadratic equations

* Problems dealing with applications of surface area and volumes.

* Coordinate geometry

* Basic properties of polynomials

* Further algebra - literal and simultaneous equations.

* Functions and logarithms

- ♥ The definition of a function.

- ♥ Briefly introduce him/her to inverse functions.

- ♥ Exponential properties. (This can be used to consolidate indices)

- ♥ Graphs of exponentials

- ♥ Exponential equations.

- ♥ Graphical analysis on logarithms

- ♥ Law of logarithms.

- ♥ Solving logarithmic equations.

- ♥ Relate logarithms and exponentials.

- ♥ Miscellaneous questions and exercises about exponentials and logarithms.

* Circle geometry

- ♥ Review of Geometry.

- ♥ Review the family of shapes.

- ♥ Properties of chords.

- ♥ Properties of tangents.

- ♥ Properties of angles.

- ♥ Properties of segments.

- ♥ Deductive exercises.

* Curve sketching (Your basic curves + transformations)

* Arithmetic

* Probability

* Statistics (Inform your student this won't be required for the HSC but might be required for school tests.)

* Geometry (congruency and similarity, parallel lines)

Even better have a free lesson to assess the student's abilities and get to know your student!

Last edited:

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks for that! Also, I love your new signature :p

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Yes I am against Maths now can't afford to think about anything but English.

D94

HSC
N/A
1- What can I expect? Both in regards to the content (I can't remember what was actually covered in year 10) and tutoring in general.
Expect the student is not going to understand you. Expect they may not ask you questions, so keep asking them (but not nag on) if they understand it. Expect them to be slow in answering your questions.

Content-wise, get yourself a decent textbook, possibly the one the student uses at school. Look over it and vet out relevant or good questions which test their level of understanding. Get yourself a photocopier/scanner or ensure the student has the textbook, or notes/questions etc.

2- What's a reasonable price? I've basically been told to name my price, but I've had absolutely no experience with tutoring, so I've got no idea what a fair price would be.
Probably around $20 per hour, but $35 for 2 hour sessions (if you have time, because you may be spending time marking work which is a bit of a rip off when someone is paying you to tutor them, not mark their work).

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Teach them the theory via a textbook combined with your own methods (any tricks and shortcuts too)!
2. Teach them the way most schools teach that certain concept(s) and your own way and let them choose the one that they like more!
3. Topics - All the compulsory topics in the Year 10 Syllabus and option topics should be covered as well (Functions + Logarithms, Circle Geometry, Harder Curve Sketching and Polynomial) [Just look at Spiral's program list above]
4. Pace - Around 3 months to 6 months ahead of the school program but it all depends on the student's ability.
5. Homework Booklets - Set a few questions to do for weekly homework and arrange them in increasing difficulty! Having a few creative and very hard questions at the very end of the homework could challenge the students to think beyond!
6. Past Papers and Past Questions - Ask any previous Year 10 students or current Year 10 students for their school topic tests and asks if you can photocopy them or keep them! Then, use the exact same questions or modify the selected questions to create your very own topic test for the student at the end of each topic (I can provide you with some MFHS past paper questions for Year 10 if needed, just PM me).
7. Try to make Mathematics a really interesting and enjoyable subject for the student! This will lead to increase in motivation and effort!

1. Price Range - $15 to $20 an hour sounds good. $35 for 2 hours sounds good. Start off with a cheaper price! I'd say $15 an hour to begin with!

GOOD LUCK!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)