• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Questions from interested 08ers. (4 Viewers)

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
neo o said:
Because the inter-hall sports shield is the only worthwhile way of assessing the quality of the first year intake, right? That doesn't surprise me coming from a Johns boy. TBH the first years look fine.
uh... shane... it's peter here :wave:

and our first years aren't particularly great at sport this year. though for that matter, nor are our second years.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
I have played 1st division soccer since under 9s.
Is that of any value to the colleges?

Evilo

HSC
johns. (but im sure if you mentioned it to any of the other colleges they would be very pleased to have you)

Last edited:

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Evilo said:
johns. (but im sure if you mentioned it to any of the other colleges they would be very pleased to have you)
lolz.

i think every college takes into account sporting prowess when they choose students, not just johns. i certainly put down all my sporting stuff on my form when applying for bruce.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
humphdogg said:
lolz.

i think every college takes into account sporting prowess when they choose students, not just johns. i certainly put down all my sporting stuff on my form when applying for bruce.
Made me "lol".

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
humphdogg said:
uh... shane... it's peter here :wave:

and our first years aren't particularly great at sport this year. though for that matter, nor are our second years.
I meant Evilo tbh.

And when I said that our first years looked fine, I meant in other ways besides sport.

blacksunset

HSC
johns is not the only sporting college out of all of them, if u wanna geinvolved insport, any of them have teams, b &g were in the rugby final against johns.. and all the matches we're in we seem to break their noses and dislocate a bunch of shoulders....
that said, i know lots of lovely johns people so i personally dont have an agenda to go out and break their faces..

Evilo

HSC
neo_o i dont think my comment was particularly unfair towards any hall. Johns does have a very strong emphasis towards sport. but as my comment said, any hall would be happy to have him lol.

As far as bruce goes, i didn't say anything about them apart from their position on the sports shield, nor did i comment on the quality of 1st years. (see comment) "bruce is doing pretty shit in the sports shield atm".

okay study time.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Well atm i think I'm going to go self-catered.
Less money and i think it'll help me later on if i learn how to cook, grocery shop and all that jazz.

I've got my eyes on B&G just because it's cheap.

Also, does the international relations major require you to learn a language?

Sammy-Blue

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Well atm i think I'm going to go self-catered.
Less money and i think it'll help me later on if i learn how to cook, grocery shop and all that jazz.

I've got my eyes on B&G just because it's cheap.

Also, does the international relations major require you to learn a language?
Self catered probably won't end up that much cheaper unless you're a light eater. Also I'm fairly sure you are required to do a language major as part of int rel.

Evilo

HSC
self catered is about $100 cheaper. but you have to buy, cook and clean for 21 meals a week. As one person stated a few years back on bos - you could work instead of cooking/cleaning/shopping and make up that money pretty easily. The fact is i'm pretty lazy and like the convenience.

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
ah, you bring up a really good point evilo. Oh well, there's still time, I'm still keeping my options open.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
What kind of rules do the colleges have?
I read somewhere you're not allowed to be heavily intoxicated.

What else is there?
besides the really obvious.

Evilo

HSC
lolz.

Essentially the main rule is no noise after 10pm (so turn off subs/dont talk loudly in hallways etc). Apart from that its just normal laws- don't assualt, dont break stuff etc.

You can get drunk - extremly drunk. But yeah just be considerate of others. You'll get in trouble if you start yelling in the corridors at 4am etc.

However, the college will provide a list of responcibilities that you should abide by. These are things like
* Keeping your room moderatly tidy (some halls have once a semester inspections)
* no fan forced heaters (fire risk)
etc etc Pretty basic stuff that they will tell you about before you arrive. (i wouldnt worry)

Keep in mind you're at uni, theres no major "rules" that are imposed. i.e. you dont have to be home by a certain time, you don't have to answer to anyone if you dont go to lectures (well until the end of the semester when you have to explain the fails lol), and you can do almost anything you want.

EDIT - oh and theres no "role call" or anything. I think the only thing that is compulsery is a 'whole college meeting' that occurs a few times ayear, and even i've skipped a few of them lol.

Last edited:

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Evilo said:
Essentially the main rule is no noise after 10pm (so turn off subs/dont talk loudly in hallways etc).
are you serious? i usually have my music on pretty loud with my door open until 2 in the morning or so...

Evilo

HSC
humphdogg said:
are you serious? i usually have my music on pretty loud with my door open until 2 in the morning or so...
I spose it really depends who is around you. - One of my neighbours is in bed by 10pm, the others are pretty good though. I'd rather be considerate and close my door at 10, then have the head of college ripping into me a few days later.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)